Dual boxing Necro / Shaman - Could use some tips !

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by That French Guy, Jul 3, 2013.

1. That French Guy New Member

Heya all,

i've returned a few weeks ago, and I in order to make things more fun, i've created a Shaman last Sunday that is now level 51 (My main character is a level 60 necro)

I'm just using the regular EQ client, with two instances, one on each of my two screens.

At the moment, i'm not really... "good" at that boxing thing.

I mostly used my necro to PL the Shaman up to level 45, then grouped the shaman with the necro while the necro was killing stuff that grants some good XP to the shaman. (Red con to the shaman that are light blue to the necro)

I'm currently killing level 51 or so creatures in order to bring my shaman closer to my necro level.
    I currently have absolutely no macro set up for these characters, so it's a bit of a pain to do things correctly.

Anyone can enlighten me and grant me some advice, please ? :D
  2. That French Guy New Member

3. Fluid Augur

Still learning myself. What I find best for 'me so far' is two monitors with one computer. The mouse transitions from one screen to the other w/o problems. This set up works better then switching mouses or trying to cram two instances of EQ on one screen.

I would always put the merc tank with Necro and have the Necro with his pet up. I would use a healer merc with the Shammy. In practice this lets you use the Necro for pulling since he has twice as much taunting stuff off his back. You can even use the pet instead of spells for attacking as your merc will join in.

With the healer merc taking that load offf the Shammy, the Shammy fills in the gaps with buffs, slows, and maybe a DOT or two. Necro just does the stuff a Necro does! You may want to keep a fear spell up on him to thin out the crowd beating on your tank.

Only time you will get in trouble is with multiple aggressive mobs. What happens is they may go for the Shammy or merc healer. If this happens you need to attack those monsters with your Necro to pull them off and then your tank merc and pet will pull them off you.

Other day I saw someone<lower level> solo with his necro using a healer merc. Kind of funny in that he was oom and killing the mobs with his dagger. It was taking maybe 30 minutes to kill anything. Heck, he wasn't dying and it sort of worked for him. I don't think I would do it that way but to each his own.:)
  4. That French Guy New Member

At my level, I actually don't even need to use a merc, to be honest.

- Pull with the necro.
    - Sic necro pet.
    - Sic shaman pet.
    - Dot & Snare with the necro
    - Dot with the Shaman
    - Fear
    - Med until the mob dies

I'm almost tempted to use a tank merc, but currently (level 60) the necro pet is powerful enough to hold its own without having to fear... i just fear if I get an add.
  5. Raptorjesus5 Augur

At that level you won't need to slow or heal. Make a macro that casts the shamans dots and sends in his pet and that should be all you need for now. The more spells and AAs you get access to the more macros you can add.
  6. CrazyLarth Augur

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Macros

One of the suggestiions I have would be to arange you keys the same on both char
    so when you switching chars the buttons you push are in the same place.

like Attack macro
    like Dot macro
    healing macro

your click buffs in same area on both.
  7. That French Guy New Member

Thanks ! Useful advice.

I've still got some trouble with the macros (Basically, the /pause has to be adjusted a bit to ensure spells cas) but things went much smoother yesterday night with some macros that add an additional /sit at the end of the spell.
  8. Dday99 Journeyman

I suggest using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], it's a boxing program. It allows you to box without alt-tabbing constantly (you can make your key strokes affect your other window without alt-tabbing). Keyclone is another program that does this. As far as I'm aware, both programs are allowed in EQ. Neither allows you to "bot", they just allow you to send keystrokes to different windows without alt-tabbing, and [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] gives you a better view of your windows so it's easier to manage the characters.

Note, boxing will never make you as good as multiple players with different characters. I box 4 characters currently and leveling is kind of slow and I wipe often when doing new camps, but I enjoy it since I never have to wait for groups when I login.
  9. Blarkey New Member

I agree with Dday99 on [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. 6-boxing with [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is easier than when I used to 3-box with alt-tabbing.

@Dday99: - I can't tell you how often my wiz's exodus panic button has saved me from a certain wipe :D