Max spell damage

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Eubedyen, May 27, 2013.

1. Eubedyen Lorekeeper

What is the best line up for spells to maximize spell damage?Just a reminder im not in a raiding guild so most RK3 spells are out atm...

Thanks for any suggestions
  2. Cicelee Augur

Are you referring to Spell Damage mod2/3 with regards to what augs to get? Or are you referring to maximizing DPS with the specific spell weave?
  3. Eubedyen Lorekeeper

Im sorry,i should have been more specific.I was referring to the Spell Weave set
  4. silku Augur

i'm curious myself. I've been playing my magician alt a bit lately and his dps is still pretty low. (Only 96 anyway).
  5. Benhan Journeyman

rage-bolt-spear-rain - salvo ( if u raid ) in grp just spam rage pet bolt spear ( rain if no adds )
  6. Nylrem Augur

Very complicated answer, to such a simple question, heh.

The simple answer is: Each magician is different, and you will likely have to use a parser to find out what your highest dps spell is, for you. Your individual focus effects, your pet focus, your ranks of each spell, whether you are within range/using pet aura, etc. all play a part to which is better, for you.

I suggest checking your average damage with each of the following:

RS pet, both RoF rains, RoF spear, VoA spear, and RoF bolt then divide their avg damage vs. their cast times. This will give you each spell's dps, for you.

Now, double each nuke's damage, and compare that to a single cast RS pet, to determine if you should cast a RS pet during a twincast or not, and if so, where, in your weave.

You will also want to time how long you sustain a single RS pet, then figure out about how long you have to maintain a RS pet to be equivalent to each respective nuke. For example, if the mob is only likely to live another 15 seconds... should you cast RS pet... or a Rain? What about RS pet, vs Bolt, if that is all that is available?

Then, if you want to compare nukes & RS pet vs. when burning or not (with Fire Core, First Spire, etc) then you really need to check somewhere that you can lock your buffs and dps a mob. You can do this either on Test server in the arena, or if you have a Grand Guild Hall, it should have test dummies available there, without losing your buff timers.

Assuming you have max group gear available I would guess that your order, not on twincast will be: RS>Rain>Rain>RoF Spear>VoA Spear>Bolt assuming the mob/your RS pet is going to live at least 20 seconds or more. If you can manage to get 15 pets on the mob, though, Salvo would be better than either Rain, for sure, and possibly better than RS even.

On twincast, I would guess that your order would be: Rain>Rain>RoF Spear>RS>VoA Spear>Bolt but that is assuming that the RS pet is going to do it's maximum potential damage and you are likely using at least fire core or elemental union, and/or first spire, when twincasting. (FC and EU do not effect rains, I don't think, but do spears and bolts). Again, with Salvo being greater than all, if have 15 pets on a mob.

However, this is all complete speculation, and really is something that you will have to parse yourself.

You should always try and utilize your rains when you can. They are great dps and extremely mana efficient. Communicate with your group, or careful single pulling if moloing (or intentional double pulls & good pet control, /grin) will allow you to maximize their potential with minimum risks.
  7. Piemastaj Augur

Garg>Of Many>Fire Rain>Magic Rain. Is the best setup for us currently for raids.

In groups: Fire Rain>Magic Rain>Spear.

Adds throw a wrinkle into things, but there are ways to mitigate them (Elemental Ward, Shared Health, Earth proc).
    silku likes this.
  8. Zalmonius Augur

Don't forget to throw blazing orbs, icebound paradox's, AA nukes, and any other clicky nukes you have in the mix. It's free damage that goes in between casts
  9. silku Augur

Maybe I should go all spell damage augs :eek:
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Spell Weave calculator:
    http://elitegamerslounge.com/home/calculator/test2.php

It is still a work in progress, hence the name.
    1. Enter the adjusted cast time of each spell. Adjusted means the cast time AFTER haste.
    2. Enter the refresh time of each spell. This is the time that your spell bar is grayed out after casting the spell. (Usually 1.5 seconds).
    3. Enter the recast time of each spell. This is the time it takes THAT spell to be ready to recast.
    4. IF the spell is a DAMAGE spell, enter the average DPS of each spell. You should use the damage calculator to get this number.
    5. IF the spell is a PET, (Rage pets), enter the average DPS that pet does. You need to parse this in game. Piemastaj probably has all these numbers.
    6. IF the spell is a PET, enter the time the pet is alive.
    The calculator checks your weave to determine if there is wasted time waiting on spells to refresh, or what I call dead time. If your first spell takes 15 seconds to refresh, but the other spells in your weave take 10 seconds to cast, your first spell still has 5 seconds to recast, or 5 seconds of dead time. This time is added to the total time calculation, which will make the dps plummet.

If you have a long duration recast spell in your weave (rage pets), you need to extend your weave long enough that it refreshes. To use Pie's example weave: Garg>Of Many>Fire Rain>Magic Rain, would throw a large amount of dead time because the Garg pet won't be ready to recast yet. What you need to do is extend the weave out by adding additional "Of Many>Fire Rain>Magic Rain" until such time as the Garg pet is ready. This would be the "full" weave because it repeats -every- spell.

It also checks The duration of your weave against the time a pet is alive. Meaning, if you cast a pet that lasts 30 seconds as your first spell, but the rest of your spell weave only lasts 10 seconds, it only counts 10 seconds worth of damage from the pet.

Questions, suggestions, and comments are welcome. Remember it is still a work in progress.
  11. Cone head Augur

In my set up I use a Bard as my main.

Rain spells do not gain any benefit from a Bard and I have eliminated them from my set up when grouped with the Bard.

With my Bard my line up is as follows.

Fickle, Spear, Steel, AA. Once the cycle is complete it ready to be recast.

I do use RS/Of Many on harder targets but the above is my bread and butter.

I did find some good info reading over the posts, thanks.
  12. Piemastaj Augur

Why would you remove them from your line-up simply because bards do not mod them? They will destroy Fickle and steel in DPS and are comparable (probably better when you consider the consistency of them vs Spear) to Spear while using half the mana cost. You really should reconsider that set up.
  13. Ferrata New Member

So Garg is removed from head of line up in the group game? Rain - Rain - Spear - Repeat? Rains are now beating out the traditional Garg - Spear - Spear - Bolt set up?

I just came back to game recently since break in VoA. Am trying to get a handle on some of the new AA and current spell weaves.
  14. Cone head Augur

I changed my set up, rain, rain, fickle, spear along with only bringing one mob in at a time and pulling another after the rains land.

Start the cycle over with the add and keep going.

Glad this thread came up.
  15. Cicelee Augur

I always lead with Relentless Servant, unless I know that the mob is going to be dead in less than 20 seconds. After Malo AA I go rain-rain-spear. I then have to decide if a second Relentless is going to last for close to full duration of remaining mob's health. If I am getting max damage from a full duration Relentless then I do that. If mob is under 50% health or going to die soon then I throw in a Force AA and repeat rain-rain-spear weave.

My issues are after the second weave. After that spear, everything is down and waiting to be spell refreshed. Only Relentless is available after that second spear, and by that time I do not want a third one casted. If Force AA is available I can use that and the back to a third rain-rain-spear weave. Lately I have been using a Fickle after the second weave for some extra damage, and the hope for a proc that I can use on the spear on the third weave.
  16. dalead Elder

Typically:

Group/Solo: RS, rain, rain, fickle, spear
    Raid: RS, many, rain, rain, spear
    Raid (w/adds): RS, many, spear, spear, bolt