Training skills at Guildmaster

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Massive, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Massive New Member

I have over 200 Practices available (and plenty of plat) but I'm unable to train any skills with a class Guildmaster.
    If I highlight any skill, the Train button remains greyed out (for all skills regardless of value).
    The only incongruity I can see is in my character skills list (accessed from Inventory window) where Remove Trap is shown as a green value, rather than white like all the others.
    Am I missing something simple that's preventing the use of Practices to train skills with my class Guildmaster?
  2. Yther Augur

If you're maxed, you can't train any more. Tradeskills are limited to 25 or 30 via training, so those skills greater than that won't be able to be trained. The platinum also has to be on your character, not in the bank or shared.

Those are the only general limitations. If you're not using the default UI, it may be a problem with your UI.

Yther Ore.
  3. Massive New Member

I just use default UI, and I have plenty of low and zero value skills - so I'm somewhat mystified...
  4. Nolrog Augur

Something like that (I think it's a bit less, like 21, but anyway, the point is valid). I wouldn't use the skill ups on tradeskills though. You can take them up to 54 for free in Aybsmal Sea and Cresent Reach.
  5. Massive New Member

Just wanted to start off a few skills from zero (languages, unused weapon skills, etc) so no issues with maxed values as far as I can see (unless there's some overall total max...?) And I have all my plat on me, but the Train button remains grey whatever I do. Not catastrophic, but frustrating all the same.
  6. Yther Augur

I think you're right Nolrog, it is / was 21. Been forever since I even tried (like 11+ years).

I just tried with the Kelethin GM that I have terrible faction with and got the following:
    [Sun Mar 10 22:23:50 2013] Maesyn Trueshot says 'I cannot abide you or your actions against all that is right..BE GONE!'
    [Sun Mar 10 22:23:50 2013] Maesyn Trueshot glowers at you dubiously -- looks kind of dangerous.
    [Sun Mar 10 22:24:19 2013] You begin to sneak...
    [Sun Mar 10 22:24:30 2013] Maesyn Trueshot says 'Nice to see you working on your skills Yther.'
    [Sun Mar 10 22:24:30 2013] Maesyn Trueshot regards you indifferently -- looks kind of dangerous.
    [Sun Mar 10 22:24:47 2013] Maesyn Trueshot says, 'Interested in training in 1H Blunt ?'
    [Sun Mar 10 22:24:50 2013] Maesyn Trueshot tells you, 'You are more skilled than I! What could I possibly teach you?'
    [Sun Mar 10 22:25:17 2013] Maesyn Trueshot says, 'Interested in training in Divination ?'
    [Sun Mar 10 22:25:19 2013] Maesyn Trueshot tells you, 'You are more skilled than I! What could I possibly teach you?'
    [Sun Mar 10 22:25:27 2013] Maesyn Trueshot says, 'Interested in training in Hand to Hand ?'
    [Sun Mar 10 22:25:29 2013] You have become better at Hand to Hand! (5)
    [Sun Mar 10 22:25:29 2013] Maesyn Trueshot tells you, 'You have increased your skill in Hand to Hand.'
    [Sun Mar 10 22:25:51 2013] Maesyn Trueshot says, 'Interested in training in Research ?'
    [Sun Mar 10 22:25:54 2013] You have become better at Research! (81)
    [Sun Mar 10 22:25:54 2013] Maesyn Trueshot tells you, 'You have learned the basics of Research.'
    [Sun Mar 10 22:25:54 2013] You have completed achievement: Research (50)
    [Sun Mar 10 22:26:10 2013] You stop sneaking.
    [Sun Mar 10 22:26:12 2013] Maesyn Trueshot says 'Good Journey to you Yther.'

Have you tried restarting the game? What about the computer? If none of that works, I'd leave a message in the Support Forums about it. They'll probably want a ticket made on it, and maybe to supply them with DirectX diagnostics report and something else (listed in TSR-AlexS' signature). Copy/Paste from his signature, so you don't have to look it up:
    Click Here to Contact Support
    How to create a DXDiag/MSinfo

Hope this helps some,

Yther Ore.
  7. Ottopaul Journeyman

Did this ever get resolved? Did a petition work? or did it work itself out after a bit of time?

I ask because I am now having the exact same issue. 'Train' button greyed out, no matter which skill I highlight from the trainers list window, plenty of training points available, and plenty of plat directly on the character in question. Other characters on the same account are able to train, checked just now, well after the problem started on the character in question, and then logged back to the problem character, still unable to train. I have also tried logging all the way out of EQ, shutting down PC, and logging back in, none of that helped.
  8. Geroblue Augur

If you are more skilled than the NPC guildmaster, you won't get trained in that skill by the NPC. Some go up during combat like; offense, defense, weapon skills, spell types, etc.
  9. Tyke666 New Member

I seemed to have this problem and resolved it. It seems the button is greyed out if you are carrying a lot of plat on your character. If I had 40k when I visited the guildmaster, the train button would not work. When I changed this to 6k it became highlighted. Probably something to do with coin not having weight anymore but no idea what amount of coin makes the button grey out. Not got time to experiment :)
  10. Wuttever Augur

Excellent observation, though. Gives others a good basis to start with, rather than just groping in the dark.
    moogs likes this.
  11. darkdelusions Lorekeeper

I tend to only use skill point on skills that are annoying to skill up like forage.
  12. Wuttever Augur

The only skills I ever bought from a guild trainer were the starting 1 point ones, back when we had to, and 1 point in some languages.
    moogs likes this.