One brutal zone or two

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Agrippa, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Langya Augur

Those are called "raids" right?

I do smell what you are stepping in though, but a whole zone? No way, fella. Bring back something like MPG trials maybe where it is basically a chamber/room type deal off of a big zone that is far more inclusive but not a whole big honk'n zone of smash face against keyboard like Sepulcher. Then you can have your whole "No Mercs allowed" bit if it is set up to be for 6 real players max with mercs suspended on zone in.
  2. Mellifleur Augur

Haven't heard the term " Curb Stomped" in a good while... thanks for the chuckle :D
  3. CaptAmazing Augur

Raiders have raids and raid zones. There is no need for locking out grouping zones from groupers. Bad idea
  4. Pirlo Augur

This idea could work and I have always been an advocate of it. The carrot just needs to be orange enough for us donkeys to go for it.

I guarantee you if Sepulcher was 30% AA a kill while CoB/WS was 23% AA a kill, you would have seen A LOT more action there.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  5. Thovos New Member

I was coming to say basically what Pirlo did. Sepulcher wasn't worth it. If there was more incentive, the challenge would have a purpose..rare random drops..better exp..no drop clickies. What I envisioned when I read OP, was the days of old when you had to form up a solid group to go deep into Sebilis..recapture that excitement/reward
    Noteefs and Pirlo like this.
  6. dwish Augur

I agree with this. I think some of the people are missing the OP's point here. People will not do something hard if there is no reward for doing so. Sepulcher gear was no better then City of Bronze gear, and of course the majority is going to go with the path of least resistance and just do City of Bronze.

Back in the earlier stages of the game, there were always various zones that fit the OP's description. I remember doing 2-3 group "mini raids" into Dragon Necropolis, Western Waste dragons, Sol B fire giants, Sirens Grotto, and many many other zones. These zones were next to impossible for a single group of players in group gear, thus the need to bring several groups to tackle the content. I believe this is what the OP would like to see, and I think it would be an interesting idea.

That being said, the carrot must be large enough to actually entice people into wanting to do the content. If another easy zone (aka City of Bronze) drops the same items or something similar, then people are correct in saying this zone will just be a ghost town and a waste of resources.
  7. pk76 Augur

one "brutal zone " (with no mercs allowed ) where we could have a random rare ( no drop ) augment ( or rare single rk 3 spell no-drop gem , like lv 96 to 98 , not higher ) could be interesting ........ that would keep players to go to that zone to try to get some decent loot / reward and would need to group with others to get that .
    Elricvonclief and Pirlo like this.
  8. Axxius Augur

...and even T1 raid loot!

That zone already exists. It is called ToV. If anybody wants super hard no-merc group content that would be challenging even for groups made of raiders - it's already in. Sevalak, Koi'Doken, Mirenilla, Dagarn...
    BlankStare_001 likes this.
  9. Kurayami Augur

I agree Axxius besides the being groupable part. Mini raid sure, but think 1 groupable is a little too optimistic at this point, even for dragons as wimpy as Sevalak.
  10. pk76 Augur

no raid armors in group game .......... but a single rare drop spell gem ( ex :96 to 98 ) as rare would not be that " uber " adding like 180 to 300 ? more hp from certude ( + few more ac ) or unity is not what i can call "uber", ..

group armor VS the raid armor like you "sarcasm on " say. would be too big upgrade from the group game :p.
    even rare drop augment in a "brutal" zone would encourage players to go "xp " there
  11. Pirlo Augur

Just out of curiosity do you guys know anyone who has 1 grouped North Temple?

1 tank
    2 healers
    3 dps
    enough?
    Or will we see that when when people have t3 gear on?
  12. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

So.. sort of like cra-ppy watered-down raids?
  13. Axxius Augur

The original post said that the named should require 2-3 groups in previous expansion's raid gear. The dragons I listed are 2-3 groupable by people in VoA T4 raid armor. It will just take a while and no room for mistakes. But they want challenge.
  14. Axxius Augur

Haven't tried yet but I see no reason why this VoA T4 raid geared group couldn't kill Sevalak: WAR CLR CLR SHM + 2 sustained dps.
  15. Kurayami Augur

If the healers can keep their mana up, it is possible Axxius, I agree. It would take forever, but it would be possible. Help if the dps were of the type that typically returns mana to group members : )
  16. savrin Augur

Didn't they try making whole zones worth of hard content and it failed miserably? Remember gates and underfoot anyone. These were 2 expansions worth of things the OP is asking for and what happened was no one except very elite guilds even bothered to try it.

I would be okay the zonesweepers like the velious dragons (if they did not spawn the same way as named did) but entire zones like convorteum or cooling chambers undead. Most players are likely to avoid that.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It all depends on how efficiently the group can kill mobs in the zone. If people are killing more efficiently in a zone that gives less xp per kill but they gain more xp over time then they will stick there rather then go to the place with the best xp per kill. After all why do you see so many people leveling up in past expansion zones when a new expansion is released? It isn't because the xp per kill is better but because they can get more xp overall for the same work then in a harder zone.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  18. gcubed Augur

Experience is not a reason for a single grouper to go to a zone like Sepulcher. We went in there for specific items. A spear and shield for the shammy, a mask for the warrior, a damage aug for the zerker, etc. Once we got those items, we left and did not return. We thought of Sepulcher as a negative XP zone. We would not have considered XPing there even if it was a hot zone with a doubled ZEM, we certainly wouldn't have for a mere 7% increase over CoB. CoB wasn't all that great of a place to XP anyway, Windsong was the place to go.

No matter what the XP is in the OP's "Brutal Zone", groupers will not grind XP there. I am willing to bet that most raiders wouldn't either. Dying every time the healer fizzles or every time the tank fat fingers a disc click is contrary to the entire concept of grinding.

Most loot that would appeal to raiders would be overpowered for groupers. This pretty much limits the loot from a zone like this to a two maybe three augs and a few clickies. We have Anniversery events for that.

This zone would wind up being another Theater of Blood. A place that groupers ignore and raiders pass through on the way to a raid.
  19. Robnie Augur

I don't remember Sep being all that hard... If it had doubled ZEM I never would of left the zone lol.

Love the idea, though, it should be doable with a core group of tier 2 rof group people.
    Pirlo likes this.
  20. Talif Augur

This. As long as you had the click to remove the uberbuff, Sep was a fun zone. My guild had groups running in there all the time.