Encounter Locking in 2024

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by AzzlannOG, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Kahna Augur

I can see that. I tried it and it was basically a non-issue. Teensiest bit of irritation when I had to wait a few seconds after the mob spawned to engage. Other than that it has zero impact on my enjoyment of the game or playstyle.
    Eryndhel, Rijacki, Crixos and 4 others like this.
  2. KronoQuester New Member

Once a month? You didn't play on Oakwynd.
    WeCameWeConquered and Shalom like this.
  3. Muramx Augur

I don't know if it was the server I started on back in 99 and "results will vary." But I didn't have a lot of problems with training or KSing until I started playing on TLPs. SoE and before them Varant was pretty good about squashing it. The habitual offenders, would face server justice. Finding it almost impossible to find a guild much less a group that would take them in. People would name chang or transfer. I remember there was a website that would track these people, but that was a long time ago. Even open world targets if two guild where trying to form up the one that formed up faster would tag and the other would watch, and if the first guild wipe, the 2nd one would engage. I never heard of "DPS race" when I played on the combine or fippy server. It wasn't until Ragefire, people suddenly started being jerks to each other and it became the standard.

But to say travel not ng and KSing was part of the game back in the day... Na, people had a lot more respect

I was hesitant to say the least about FTE and how people were going to find ways to abuse it. And the first month or so it was buggy. I no longer had to worry about someone pulling the zone past me to zone because they didn't want to eat a death. Or worry about someone with 20 account running a program pushing me out of the spot I have been in for 3 hours or stealing the named I have been waiting on for 2 days.

If FTE is why Oakwynd has a lot less toxic behavior compared to other servers. Then I will take it.
    Pumped, Eryndhel, Rijacki and 2 others like this.
  4. Azzlann Elder

I don't think less toxic behavior can be attributed to FTE solely. Oakwynd is a smaller server that most of the big guilds skipped. I think that is likely the cause of the feeling of calm. You can still grief even with FTE as it is now.
  5. fransisco Augur

Hate to break it to you, but tlp is SOOOOO far removed from "the original" game its silly. WAY more exp, more/faster named pops, much more money, more loot, agents of change, maps, no corpse runs, shared bank, extended bank, currency not having weight, not losing your bodies, yellow mana abilities, monk h2h damage, pet nerfs, many more spells that didn't exist then, ect. Heck, actual raids didn't exist back then. You were just a bunch of groups in the same zone.

Funny that the one thing you don't like is the "too far from original".
    Narvakhan, Eryndhel, Rijacki and 2 others like this.
  6. SnapVine Augur

It's still better than it is without it
  7. Muramx Augur

Nah the biggest thing people complained about in classic/Kunark when you still had 5 general chat channels was the botting. The people running programs to killing the ice giants without logging for days, or FS weapons in Qeynos sewers, golden efreeti boots, etc. while it may not have had a huge impact directly it did keep the "herp a derps" away. I never had to worry about the 20 man mage army showing up when I finally got an epic guy to spawn only for them to smash it in 2 secs while saying "ItS a DpS rAcE!!" Cause yeah a solo player or a duo can really out DPS that...
  8. Zansobar Augur

DPG didn't invest all that time into FTE and then declare it a success to not continue to use it in the future.
    Eryndhel likes this.
  9. Azzlann Elder

Im not saying they wornt use it moving forward, just hopefully not on every TLP. Also they have, and will again reverse things that dont work to bring in more business.
  10. Shalom Quillmane Bane

All you against FTE did not play on Oakwynd during launch. You remember Unrest? You zone in and lag to 1,000 corpses and /ooc drama? I leveled in Unrest with 2 different characters during launch and there were NO TRAINS, NO CORPSES, NO DRAMA baby. No fighting over camps.

I would come to a happy medium and say, sure take it off raid mobs and let guild contest each other in open world. That is fair because if you don't like the competition you have instancing.

If you cannot agree to that, I'd say you're toxic and just enjoy the thrill of taking things from others and you're probably a sociopath
  11. Ddezul Augur

welcome 'new member'
    Demetri likes this.
  12. fransisco Augur

of course not. They are just complaining because its the only way they know how to communicate
    Demetri likes this.
  13. Azzlann Elder

I did play on Oakwynd at least enough to really test out FTE because it concerned me. I would totally agree to OW raid targets, and being able to exempt my friends list from being locked out of my mobs. Those two things would fix most of what I'm asking for. Nobody is fighting to be able to train people in here. Or steal your hill giants
    Shalom likes this.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

EQ evolved, not a single live servers has FTE. It never existed until the last TLP. 23 years with no FTE. 23 years derailing trains. Hell, trains ment the puller could have a rest. All of those changes you talk about happened over time and were released for current content not for content that was 23 years old.

FTE takes far more from the game than it gives. I want the fun of derailing trains, I want the fun of helping the guy at EC tunnel with a griffin on his tail.
    WeCameWeConquered and Azzlann like this.
  15. Kahna Augur

It is easier for DPG to institute gameplay that makes trains impossible than it is for them to try to sort through the CS tickets and figure out which train was accidental and which one was purposeful, who is weaponizing trains and who is weaponizing CS tickets. They found a solution, they're not going to go backwards, they are sick of dealing with us not being able to play with each other like decent human beings. We brought this on ourselves by being jerks to each other. Live with the consequences of your actions.

And the guy running from the grif needs a /yell hotkey. Then you can help to your heart's content. It's not hard to adapt.
  16. Ddezul Augur

if you like derailing trains im sure there's a TLP out there for you.
    Demetri and fransisco like this.
  17. Azzlann Elder

I think they were using those things to make the point that simple things that made this game great for 25 years are getting chipped away. I have mostly been arguing that we can tune it down to make the chip smaller. I haven't seen anyone so far argue that losing the ability to train people is a problem.
  18. Zansobar Augur

I would say DPG has the belief that FTE will bring in more business as I'm sure they believe there is only a very small minority of hardcore players that want a non-FTE playstyle.

Implementing FTE was not a simple thing that DPG just did on a whim. They spent most of their annual TLP budget on getting that working, and I bet they spend most of their annual TLP budget this year on getting more bugs worked out on it. The reason is they believe that the toxic atmosphere that comes from trains and training 1) increases their CS load, and 2) pushes away more players than it attracts.
  19. AzzlannOG Elder

That's one of the reasons I think it is the perfect time to try one with FTE and one without. Let the players vote with where they choose to play, and either way everyone wins.
    Yinla likes this.
  20. SnapVine Augur