Would you play a single-player/co-op version of EQ.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Strawberry Augur

Would you play a single-player/co-op version of EQ, playable offline and with friends.

The world is yours, you can just restart your own Norrath world at any point.

While the world is the same, some major changes happened:
    -difficulty settings are available
    (obviously a roguelike mode is available where you restart the game if you die, but retain some gear)
    -mob/raid difficulty has been rebalanced to reflect single-player/co-op
    -drop rate has been adjusted to reflect single-player/co-op
    -mercenaries have been improved and are true companions with personality (see BG3)
  2. Cicelee Augur

3. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I would to do hunters! Think strawberry been playing diablo 2?
  4. JetZeppelin2h Augur

EQ isn't a single player game already? I thought it was 90% solo and 10% group for raids.
  5. FYAD Augur

the only reason I play this game is for 54 player raids with my guild... so no, an offline version doesn't scratch that itch.
  6. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I wonder what a guild private TLP server would cost. I'm sure there are some 'whales' out the that would enjoy being GM of their own invite-only server, but not wanting to go emulation.
  7. Iven the Lunatic

I would play that. Nice idea for not having or wanting internet access and being private. Also nice for update days and not being affected by updates that do make the game unplayable. EQ from 2022 was stable. It would be also great for being able to create own zones and other mods, and sharing them within a modding scene.
  8. Scila Augur

oohh like the cd tutorial that was out at one point? Yeah let me think about that ... nope.
    Fenthen likes this.
  9. fransisco Augur

I play it coop with a wierd marketplace, and an annoying guild lobby I have to stumble through.
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Look up a game called Erenshor, its under development and trying to be a single player old school MMORPG like Everquest. With other players being controlled by AI. No idea how it'll turn out, but its an interesting endeavor.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2382520/Erenshor/
  11. uberkingkong Augur

EQ group game, yet there is 40 people in zone, people complain and beg for instances.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/laurion-song-picks.294591/#post-4267322
    Said it last year, the year before last year, the year before before the last year.
    Meta events.

Other MMOs, solo friendly, enjoys being around 100+ other people in boss, quests, etc fights.
  12. Risiko Augur

Yes.
  13. Muramx Augur

Yes. But....
    It would have to be massive open world with a main storyline me but tons of small medium and large quests also ng the way like Skyrim but larger scale.
    The gfx looked like elden ring.
    The choices you make in game effect things that come down the road.
    And you had a couple races with a couple of the classes they can play to pick. Like Dark elf SK or mage, a high elf Cleric or paladin. But not all the race/class combos. Then release a DLC with with a few new "zones" and a decently lengthy campaign with more quests. Kind of like an expansion. But you get Iksar SK or necro with it then the next on you do Vah Shir Bst and Bard or something.

You can play solo or have up to 3 friends join you. The encounters get harder but the loot has better stats.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

No. The gameplay isn't that appealing. Having lots of folks to interact with and help out is what kept me in EQ all this time. If it had simply been a single or co op I would ahve stopped playing years ago and definitely would not have spent all the money on it that I have.
    Rijacki likes this.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea your spot on! If you see a group most likely its just one person playing with there char kinda sad but it is what it is lol. I went lfg for like 30mins then gave up on it. There's a reason people play with there other chars. Can make group whenever you want and not have to worry about lfg and no worries worrying about loot.
  16. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Highly unlikely

I have played a variety of single player and co-op games for a few months sporadically and none have I picked up again after not playing for years.

I played EQ for years in the aughts then moved on to SWG, EQ2, and ESO and returned from time to time to EQ for a few weeks before returning fully to EQ mid-2020. All in all, I have played MMOGs for years and have enjoyed the interactions with other players even while doing solo activities.

Even if, by choice, I play solo in an MMOG, the presence of other players and not just AI characters makes it a lot more attractive to me. I even bought BG3 a few months ago and the only time I play is when I can arrange to play with my sweetie and or another friend.

AND, EQ was not made to be a single-player/co-op game. It is possible to play solo but the game is still primarity designed around the group and super-group (raid). Additionally, a single-player/co-op game is a non-persistent world with the rare spawns and other resources being available on demand of the single player since there is no concept of rarity needed for in-game balance.
  17. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I would play a single-player version of the game as long as I could box at least three toon. I have no need for difficulty settings or anything of the like.
  18. error Augur

It's not a single player game and you don't just "adjust the difficulty" to make it one. Basic game mechanics would have to be completely redesigned at which point you have a different game that's just reusing assets.
  19. Bilderov Augur

I would say yes as my EQ experience for the past few years has been very much me and my alts / boxes smashing my head against group content.

I bought the expansion for all 3 of my accounts in December and then cancelled my subscriptions in Jan and spent last month and this month just doing overseer. Now they are all lvl 125, I'm going to re-subscribe and see what content is available to me.

However, I have played single player RPGs in the past and they've never grabbed me in the same EQ has. So, even though I say yes, I'd probably try it and then stop playing shortly after lol.
  20. JuleTrae New Member

No, since i cannot interact with others
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.