Bring Gamma back please

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by The real Sandaormo, Jan 17, 2024.

1. The real Sandaormo Augur

This game is now too dark, none of the sliders people say to use work. Advanced lighting does 1 of 2 things, either nothing or blows the lighting out so far you can't even look at the screen.

Sorry but this falls into the category of trying to fix something that wasn't broken and you broke it.

Fix please.
  2. Kiras Augur

Yeah, it's way darker now even with the new slider set at 100%. It also appears that EQ overrode the gamma on my computer in windowed mode, making everything else darker.

This is like that bug where you quick camp and it doesn't fix the gamma back to the system gamma.
    Duder likes this.
  3. EagleTalon99 Elder

I like how it is now. I even have the slider all the way to Zero.
    Rolaque likes this.
  4. Brickhaus Augur

There's always one guy ...

New design rule ... if EagleTalon99 thinks it's good, you should go back and redo it.

Edit - The slider really doesn't do much ... even for you.
    winspearean, Buds and Sticky_Fingers like this.
  5. Sprooce Lorekeeper

I logged in today to see this same issue, everything was super dark, the Enhanced Vision slider didn't seem to do much. I always play with Advanced Lighting off, turning it on did make things much brighter but I still didn't like the look.

Not saying this will work for everybody but try this before you panic:

I have an Nvidia GPU, right clicked the tray icon to GeForce Experience, checked for updates, there was a new one called Game Ready, installed it, restarted computer, logged back into the game.. brightness was fully restored, Enhanced Vision slider at 0, game looks great.
    Rolaque likes this.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Weird for me it hasnt changed at all still looks the same.
    Fenthen, fransisco and Svann2 like this.
  7. MischiefMage00 New Member

Didn't work for me. What would be amazing is a slider that let us adjust the brightness in the game, maybe they can add it in a later patch.
    Sprooce likes this.
  8. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Are you one of those wild people who play EQ with HDR enabled in windows?
    Duder likes this.
  9. CdeezNotes Augur

My gamma slider was broken for about a year so this actually made things better and brighter.
    jeskola likes this.
  10. Ravanta Suffer Augur

How many displays?
  11. Iven the Lunatic

This it what happens when the devs do ignore the plaxers: Another broken feature. Way worse is how buggy the client windows do act in fullscreen mode now, which was also reported during the test phase. Nothing of that got fixed, they just brought the whole crap load to live.
  12. FYAD Augur

Same here. I read these threads at work and figured it'd be all borked up but when I got home, nothing was changed.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

It is possible that both of you do use a MS Windows gamma setting and a screen brightness adjustment, that is compatible with that of EQ: Maybe you can post your Windows (or other OS) version and some infos about the graphic card here: Manufacturer, onboard APU/GPU or external card ?
  14. Kyzvs Augur

2 windowed sessions here. I turned post effects / advanced lighting and bloom back on - we'll see how that pans out, I've only been round PoK and a couple of zones at night so far. The enhance vision slider works well for me - this is my two sessions in N Ro, left one at 5% and the right at 100%:[IMG]
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

My vision is ok but now my frost chain has way too high of brightness now. Also now i see merc heal over time and my vampiric proc from weapon in main chat how do you put those or turn those off. I did all melee and such in other window still see vampire proc. weird my armor went back to normal then it will go being to bright /shrug
  16. Iven the Lunatic

Some of the problems of the removed gamma correction feature are, that the UI and the sky do not get affected by the new vision brightness feature and that it only has a remarkable effect in dark environments as seen on the screenshots above.

Once again team Darkpaw: Vision brightness cannot replace the old gamma feature, it only can be an addition to it. I am asking you for a quick rollback ! You simply did not enough testings and realeased a broken new feature.

One broken feature (UI) is enough, we do not need two of them. The new hardware requirements are contradicting your promise for better performance with DX11, as the opposite is the case. Nobody will enjoy better graphics, when the game does get damaged by them. Let EQ age in dignity, the players do not need excessive experiments like in Miragul's laboratory, which resulted in abominations. Huge modernizations are a thing that should be reserved for EQ 3.
    winspearean, Warrior187 and Silvena like this.
  17. Kyzvs Augur

In the daytime, I will say that bloom is still very b0rked - even in NRo, but it's a happy balance to have adv lighting & post effects enabled without it.

DX 11 is hardly a huge leap into the unknown. It brings the requirement up to Windows 7 SP1, which no-one should be using online anyway and was EoL'd 4 years ago.

Also, initially I was concerned about CPU usage as in initial load in it was certainly higher (my cooler was f'sure noisier), but I found after about 10 minutes, I was back to the normal 7-8% CPU while running both sessions - that's in busy zones or quiet ones. I was also running Gnu Image Manipulation Program (if you use the initials the forum edits it out!) and faffing with the forum to try to get an image posted.

Maybe rather than calling for a mass rollback, it's more productive to either make some tweaks yourself or work with some of the many many people willing to give time and expertise online to find a solution?
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The difference then was we had patches every week and the week of the engin change we had patches every day to fix stuff.

We are likely to have to wait a month now for this to be fixed.
    Ileasa, Barton-Vox and Velisaris_MS like this.
  19. CdeezNotes Augur

Why does that matter?
  20. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Because for years many people with more than one display would be unable to use the windowed gamma setting in everquest and it was too dark. They were dismissively told to raise the brightness of their monitors (which meant that when they wanted to do anything else like open a web browser, it would be painfully bright) because some people just assumed it was their problem.

Because for a long time, a windows update removed the ability for windowed gamma to work for many people. The only solution was to disable their second monitor whenever they played EQ.

But it doesn't matter now, due to yesterday's update. Now many are having a different (but related) issue.
    Silvena likes this.