Will Rangers ever be fixed?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Syladra, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Rangers will be getting fixed "Soon TM"

[IMG]
  2. Monkeychunks Augur

MY ranger is not broken.

Its all related to GIGO which was incorporated back in 1999 for all classes. ;)

A Ranger is NOT a warrior, sk, mage, wizzy, monk or cleric etc. We are a combination of all classes and therefor have unsurpassed skills because we utilize all classes. We can tank, heal, cast spells, fade etc.

Its like saying a sponge doesn't work. Well, yeah you have to get it wet and then scrub with a circular motion.
    Elenderil and Roxas MM like this.
  3. Roxas MM Augur

i hope they get fixed soon though, there's more then enough of those buggers around already.
    Monkeychunks likes this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Comparing Rangers to wet sponges seems somehow apt.
    Metanis, Monkeychunks and Dre. like this.
  5. Dlaritan New Member

Doesn't seem like it. Back as far as RoK it was more mana efficient for the cleric to rez a ranger than heal them.
    Kyzvs and Zinth like this.
  6. Elenderil Lorekeeper

I always thought that the whole point was that Rangers were a utility class, Decent DPS, Good aggro management, some spot healing, tracking ability etc etc. Yet groups don't want us and on my server (AB) raiding guilds don't have us on their needed class lists very often (if at all), not that I'm that bothered about raiding. That says something about the rest of the game's view of our class. Jack of all trades, master of none seems to sum it up.
  7. fransisco Augur

Long ago it was. However utility got doled out to everyone else to make play/boxing easier. However utility classes never got anything back in return.

I like the way FFXIV approaches class balancing. They consider ADPS contributions to be part of the class that has the ability. So each class does roughly the same amount of damage, just in different ways. Parsing is setup to allow this too. You can see how much damage your adps ability added to the group.
  8. Roxas MM Augur

as a member of a raiding guild on AB we already have 7 active rangers on our roster. That's more the reason they are not a needed class then anything else.
    Svann2, Cadira, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  9. RaptorGesus Journeyman

I enjoy my ranger even if he is not "meta". Sadly it seems everyone else feels the same because you cannot throw a rock without hitting about 6 rangers. Dunno if SK or ranger is more plagued by this issue.
    fransisco likes this.
  10. Thraine Augur

when TBL came out, all of the sudden mobs hit too hard for top geared rangers to tank (unless your using 3 cleric mercs or have a real healer, even then the spike dmg is insane. sadly its gotten nothing but worse since TBL. the official description of rangers via the devs was half war, half druid ... im missing that war side, and my druid side is nothing to write home about.
  11. fransisco Augur

Indeed, maybe we do need a norrath wide program to start fixing rangers (spay/neuter). Soo many!
  12. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Dont think rangers are broken mine plays fine. Although less mobs being headshot was kinda a bummer. Was fighting CoV WW and most the mobs cant be headshot. I go to the kedge mobs and they are HUGE difference in dps. If i could have one spell would make the mob humanoid. I wish i could tank better but im chain i get that. Thats why i made my mage work out great.
  13. Danladil Elder

Only issue I have with being a ranger is mana consumption/regeneration I mean why do we even have an endurance bar and disc to recoup endurance. We need something to recoup mana or something/anything. Turn our physical damage spells (arrows) into endurance consumption instead of mana
  14. MrNeil6 Elder

Wow... I see nothing but whining here from people that I can only guess fall into one of a few categories:
    1. Don't really know how to play the class
    2. Are very poorly equipped and can't be bothered to put in the effort to get equipped
    3. Expect to see their ranger as the top DPS character in the game AND be able to tank raid mobs...and what the hell, let's heal better than clerics, shaman and druids too!
    4. Just like to complain even when the complaints have no merit.

We aren't tanks, but we can in a pinch... My ranger (lvl 120, all AAs, mostly T1 NOS raid geared, bow, chest and one wrist are apparitional, and 4 remaining pieces of Phantasmal gear). Today my merc tank went down unexpectedly while boxing mean streets... With a merc healer, a shammy back up healing, and a dead merc tank; I was able to tank through it... yes it was a bit scary, but using the appropriate abilities at the right time, keeping HOT from the shaman up, I was able to do it without using a glyph. Could I have done that with all group gear...hell no... but the point is, we CAN tank, just not the way a true tank can.

We aren't the top DPS... but we can definitely hold our own... My ranger isn't my raiding character (that's my shaman), but our rangers are typically in the top 15 on DPS, with our best ranger consistently in the top 10, sometimes top 5 (Necros and rogues eat up most of the top 10).

We aren't healers, but we can toss out enough healing in a pinch to make the difference in some fights.

We have substantial DPS boosting power for our group (group guardian, auspice, spire of pathfinder, and Scarlet Cheetah's fang); and the synergy from jolting/enraging kicks may not be much, but it adds up. We boost healing power on our group (scarlet cheatah's fang). We also boost our entire raid DPS with auspice using tranquil blesing and/or MGB.

Danladil's question about endurance and our endurance regaining abilities is legit; that doesn't make sense, but other than that, rangers are a pretty decent class if you know what you're doing and a hell of a lot of fun to play.
    Cadira likes this.
  15. fransisco Augur

yes, do tell how you can facetank group content in raid gear....
    Tell us more about how we could be good if we all were just like you
  16. MrNeil6 Elder

Oh, and before someone makes a comment along the lines of: Well yeah, easy to say when you're a hardcore raider that can get newest expac raid gear...

Yes, that is a benefit and allows me to do stuff that others may not be able to...but.... I started EQ back in 1999 or early 2000 (pre kunark)... I played for about 6 1/2 years... initially I was raiding hard (planes, dragons, etc.)...then became much more casual after about 2 years... for example, when i stopped playing, POP was about 4 years old, and I only JUST got Time flagged.

I returned to EQ in 2010 and played until 2012 (Rain of Fear was not out yet when i stopped)... Raided casually... had my ranger and shaman group geared (mostly from Alaris) with some older raid gear tossed in...

Came back in 2022... Bumped into a friendly soul that did PL my ranger and shaman from level 95 to low 100s one evening (he was PLing a boxed alt, and had 3 spare slots in the group), but other than that, I was grinding on my own (started out mostly in Rain of Fear - shard's landing to be specific)... got to around level 110, and then worked my way (2 boxing ranger and shaman with mercs) through all of the group progression from COTF through TOL...along the way, both hit 120, and I joined a raiding guild... Was able to box most of the mission up through TOV, though a few i did get help with - and also had help to get all of the achieves for heroic AAs)... Boxed my way through NOS excepting the missions, and am now able to box the missions (The Spirit Fades I wipe quite a bit, but the others I succeed 90% of the time, so I usually don't bother with Grakaw when it's just me boxing).

My ranger had almost no raid gear until about 3 months ago when my Shaman was finally sufficiently raid equipped to be able to start putting effort (and investing my DKP) into gearing my other toons; started taking my ranger on open raids that are run by one of the top guilds on my server (not my guild) to get more gear and raid coins to buy gear... I was lucky and did get Ilulawen, Longbow of Justice from the Primal Vampire raid in TOL around June/July of 2022, because all of the guild rangers had nugget bows, and I was the only alt ranger that was played very regularly, but other than that it was all group gear until VERY recently.
  17. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

1. keep the 15% mitigation buff on at all times.
    2. use beza- proccing 12s (possibly 17 depending on server tick) is op
    3. in dire situation use weaponshield: bando to epic 1.0 and get it slowed
    4. use outrider's evasion if you can't get self buff back on
    5. can use prot. of wolf initially if utilizing epic to slow and don't want to blow if/ws to mitigate at least the initial 2-3 rounds. (wish they would move evasion/prot off same spa as self buff so the option to stack mitigation would be an option here)
    6. blood coaters covers entire time of self guardian and o/a with 30s of empowered blades. can save focused tempest for big spikes.
    7. bulwark is available as well in case you can't heal back up and aren't getting parry procs
    8. bravery clickie- can buy you time to get off a self heal or desp geyser off cooldown for big heal
    9. imbued ferocity with vamp proc or remote heal weapons can keep you alive with no heals for duration
    10. can always snare/root or gladeleap away if you need to get self buff/heal off
    11. can literally cast conv while running if you need to self heal
    12. armor of exp for real spicy situation
    13. both heals are tot and one can literally get you from 30-100%.
    14. be lazy and hit glyph =p
    at this point i could keep going but am going to bed.
    If I can molo shei mission as a ranger- face tanking grp content isn't about being good. it's about using the tools available to you.
  18. fransisco Augur

This is still alot of words to say "get raid gear"
  19. fransisco Augur

yup, rangers have defensive abilities. No surprise there. You also neglect to mention if you are wearing raid gear (or your molo box is in raid gear). Of note, the chase gear is raid gear
  20. Belexes ForumQuester

I was moloing current content in group gear. Even easier in raid gear.

Moloing = Ranger and healer merc.

The reality of this game is that it is a pew pew world and good rangers are living in it. :)
    Romance likes this.