No one to form a group

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

A simple incentive for group leadership would be an XP bonus for the 'leader' that could increase the number of player members in the group. That could also be helpful in friend groups that are helping someone to get up to the level of the others in the group.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Which puts us back to players arguing who is leader to get that bonus.
  3. Serdar New Member

Your statements seem anecdotal.

If what you say is true, that probably has more to do with the flaws in the leadership bonus mechanics. I don't remember anyone getting weird about forcing themselves to be the leader everytime. The bonuses weren't garbage, but they weren't must have. Am I missing something?

The average pickup group seeker isn't trying to min/max and the average player carrying others doesn't need every single 1000hp bonus. So no, I don't see the level 120 mages with the raid level pets getting stingy about sharing some moderate bonuses they don't need.

Guild leaders get a ton of perks, but everyone doesn't start a raid guild. So, again, it sounds like the leadership bonuses that existed were half-baked. If it gave players something dumb to fight over, than we can learn from the mistake and come up with something better.
  4. Nillipuss New Member

What I really liked in WoW was the dungeon finder, where you can easily find and form groups. Maybe this could be implemented on eq as well
    Stymie, Dre. and Laronk like this.
  5. filthytlpplayer Elder

I doubt it's really possible in the same way.
    Stymie likes this.
  6. Fian Augur

Sure it is possible. Darkpaw would have to ask the user when they wanted to form a group to work on X. Basically, add some calendar functions to the LFG tool.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Those numbers don't show a server breakdown which makes it speculation on our part. As they continue to make new TLP servers each year it would suggest that it is an important part of their revenue model.
    Rijacki likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If there is a benefit gained from having someone be the leader over someone else even if it is minor players will always go for it.
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Thats why people make more accounts and characters so they can play
    Yea its called it sells KRONO's nothing more.
  10. Tappin Augur

It's where the hardcore raiders go when live goes to off season. If they didn't have TLP they would lose a lot of Krono sales. It's that connection between live and TLP that live is still around.

I swear there is some interview somewhere that they stated that TLP was their direction of choice.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It's not hardcore raiders, its bored raiders...There isn't anything to do on live other than raid now, the expansions are just to small, group content only lasts a couple of months if that.
  12. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

When people say this, it boggles my mind. EverQuest is the only game I know of in active production that has 25 years worth content just waiting to be consumed as many times as a player wants to. The entire premise to TLP is based on replay ability.

If the game is going to die in the near term, why are the devs not 100% focused on backend maintenance? If I just cared about sustainability for minimum effort, I probably would not be worried about the UI at this point for example.
    Rijacki and Yinla like this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that is still part of the revenue stream for them. It doesn't matter if the money is coming from a subscription or someone buuying/using a krono.
    Rijacki likes this.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

TLP's are for people with short attention spans! people that level up til the xp gets slow then reroll another character which is probably like 60-65 for them.
  15. Laronk Augur

Or they just enjoy that part of the game? The game plays way different at those level ranges where high level eq is very button mashy
  16. Tappin Augur

There's very little replay value in in current content - unless you box a full group. Trying to find people to help with progression from ToV moving forward is already a tall task, never mind trying to finish of the levels.
  17. Tappin Augur

If they enjoy that part of the game, why do they rush to complete and push out the next content update?
  18. Laronk Augur

Because that's the part of the game they enjoy, I don't really enjoy the rushing ahead aspect of TLP though I did do it once. For just group game not raiding though I personally like TLP because there's just a lot more grouping in classic - omens or dragons of norrath. But I also have multiple level 120 characters.

Some people buy games and skip all the cut scenes and play on hard difficulty. Other people watch all the cut scenes and play on the easiest difficulty.

Some people have played and beat the same single player game 100 times

Different people enjoy playing games differently, it doesn't mean they have an attention span issue. If attention span was the issue they'd only play mmos with modern features where you can jump in and instantly have a group and complete a dungeon in 45 minutes, features that EQ really could use.
  19. Laronk Augur

Think of TLPs as a game people enjoy replaying, these people aren't as worried about their character progression.
  20. Tappin Augur

They enjoy the competition, not necessarily the content. Just go see all the TLP nonsense over who completed what first on Youtube.