Unscheduled Downtime

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pintoy 3, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Pintoy 3 Journeyman

Why is unscheduled downtime always scheduled? Several hours in advance, you don't know what is wrong, but you know how long it will take to fix it. Of course no one is surprised. Nearly every monthly patch requires at least one unscheduled patch. If the problem is severe enough you call them emergencies. Of course you prefer not using that term. You want us to believe the myth that you always know what you are doing. Over the years we've seen a lot of the folks who did know what they were doing get fired. I started playing in 99 so have seen many friends at SOE, Daybreak and Darkpaw 'leave'.
  2. Hekaton Augur

Lol Be grateful a 25 year old game is still seeing content releases. That’s unheard of in the industry
    Nennius, minimind, Firaaf and 4 others like this.
  3. Act of Valor The Newest Member

You're all grown up, but you're making threads whining about an online game that requires downtime. Why?
    Nennius, minimind and Coagagin like this.
  4. Shillingworth Augur

Not seeing these follow up patches every month you mention but then I have only been back since summer. I guess in the past there were a noticeable amount of follow up patches but I don't remember it being an every patch thing.

I can kind of see your point with "firing" (or laying off) talent but that was more of a SOE thing. Having watched and read so many interviews with former and current ex-SOE property team members, I noticed this pattern where SOE gutted their properties on a regular basis. Really makes ya lament what might have been had they not done that. But then you also have to pay attention to how many of those people said they were being grossly overworked and well on the way (or at) the point of burn out, so who knows just how much longer they would have lasted under those conditions.

However anyone that ever tells you in game development that they know what they are doing is flat out lieing to you. Game development is a field of figuring it out, a little bit in planning and a lot on-the-fly. Like it or not, EQ is one of only a couple of MMORPGs that proved to have long term viability. The people that worked on this game have went on to touch every part of the game development industry and you will be hard pressed to find any successful or semi-successful online games that didn't have at least one person onboard that at one time worked on EQ.
    Coagagin likes this.
  5. Zunnoab Augur

Sometimes an issue is severe enough otherwise unplanned downtime is necessary. In this case, in-game currency was not being awarded for some events. That's a huge issue.
    Celephane likes this.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

No just shows how good eq is and how we have dedicated players!
    Coagagin likes this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is scheduled when they can so that people can somewhat plan for it.
    Wyre Wintermute and Coagagin like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

They know what is wrong. But they can't always see it coming.

Think of it this way. You can have the best mechanic in the world working on your classic 1999 corvette but while your in for that regular maintenance something breaks that was not noticed. The dang thing is so old anyway that its a classic and worth thousands (like EQ) So you take it back and he fixes it. I started driving in 1977 so have many friends who are mechanics "leave" their shops.

It is to fix these 2 fairly important breaks:

*** Quests & Events ***

- Corrected an issue that was preventing raid currency from being properly awarded after victories in Torment of Luclin raids.
    - Treants and Giants in Blightfire Moors should now drop Diseased Ichor during Nights of the Dead.
    - The EverQuest Team
  9. demi Augur

10. Dilquan Augur

Can I have your stuffs? /ragequit
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It's actually pretty rare to have a followup patch anymore. Rage on though.
    Coagagin likes this.
  12. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

The raidcoin was hotfixed, it's corrently working as intended, and even shows the proper coin and not "points".
  13. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

The default state is downtime...effort and resources must be expended to attain uptime. Therefore, in reality, they merely altered the scheduled uptime. o_O
  14. Knifen Augur

But what about conquer ach
    Toukan likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Which raids are not giving that after the last patch?
    Fenthen likes this.
  16. Knifen Augur

Thats what I am trying to find out, everyone mentioned that coin was now working but not a peep about conq.
  17. Zunnoab Augur

And what was broken?

If it's about Close the Gate one of the achievements is based on a totally broken mechanic and in effect is "burn all the dark mobs that come with the boss before they can teleport even once" in order to get it.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

On Wednesday people reported that all ToL raids did not award any currency. There was no reports of any achievements not getting awarded that I have heard of.
  19. Knifen Augur

No for two weeks now you could get the ach credit, you could get vanq credit, but you could not get the Conq ach. LIke youd win the event, get 2 of the special raid ach, but not get conq.
  20. Knifen Augur

Every single ToL raid
    Coagagin and CatsPaws like this.