Let’s Make EverQuest Better For All

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ibc93, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This would just make loot much more complicated as people start being able to loot items for the purpose of selling it or giving it to an alt. As an example if you are in a mission and something drops you only have to compete with those that can use it and don't already have it but if it was tradable you would have to compete with everyone.
  2. Warpeace Augur

No, it does not make loot more complicated. Your making things up to fit your argument against free trade.
    Lanffear and Stymie like this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Are you saying that instead of having loot only go to people who can use it instead go to people who are just going to sell it or give it to an alt doesn't make things more complicated? I would disagree on that as I am sure others would as there are people who did not create a toon on a free trade server because of those types of issues.

A common complaint I hear about loot on newer TLP servers is people winning loot with the sole intention of selling it and that is something some of us would like to avoid. No trade loot helps prevent that and is something that some like.
  4. Warpeace Augur

I never said that did I? But since I need to spell it out for you. People that need it as upgrades should always get first pick. There are ways of preventing or limiting players from getting loot to just sell.

TLP is all about Krono generation.

No trade servers do nothing to prevent that since they just sell loot rites.
    Stymie and Brontus like this.
  5. code-zero Augur

Some people spend way more time worrying about box groups than they do playing.

Krono are working exactly as intended as their purpose was to allow them to be traded for items in game.

DPS race is not only the rule but the way that PvP really works in the game so the fact is that every TLP is already a PvP + PvE server.

Thus concludes the lesson(s)
    Lanffear, Appren and Loup Garou like this.
  6. 3rdconix Elder

They have built in ways to try and dissuade farmers. IE you only get 30 minutes to sell the item before it disappears and your work acquiring that item is all for naught. Free trade allows farmers to keep their items forever so they can take a day, week, month, year to sell the item.

That being said, I think a non-free trade randomized loot server would be interesting. I have no interest in the loot pinata that is Mischief.
  7. Xeris Augur

I've played a few TLPs, I've never had an issue camping and epic mob, getting a high value camp, etc. I've been able to find that stuff everywhere I've gone. As long as you're prepared to sometimes wait for what you want.

If you expect to just walk into an open bergurgle camp because today is the day you decided to camp it, I think that's dumb. Game shouldn't cater to you, and should not be designed to have everything available at all times when people want it.

If you want that, just make a private server and go nuts
  8. AraduneSUX New Member

what? server is still thriving. Everquest is a whole lot more than just playing Classic through Planes of Power over and over and over again.
    Lanffear, Appren and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Except that isn't how loot works in EQ and it hasn't worked that way for a long time. If the loot is tradeable everyone will be putting in for it regardless of who would actually use it as an upgrade. People have switched from need before greed to just taking everything. So many times I just see people putting need on every item regardless if they are going to use it or sell it.

No trade does prevent it in places where the alt/player can't actually get to such as an instance that is locked and prevents new people from being added in order to loot.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It would be a farmers dream as they could easily farm the known loot drops that everyone wants and easily sell it to them as they have time.
  11. Gnomie Denser than most

Mischief is still going strong. Playing on it's one click away. Don't act like you missed the boat or anything. Say you're choosing not to play on mischief, not that you "missed your chance".
    Lanffear likes this.
  12. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

"some" many fewer than otherwise would park mages and w/e on tradeable versions of the same items. More customers.

Saying it happens ignores that it happens less. People also say things in general chat against sellers of rotters when they are out of line. Yes, some people try to sell loot rights. If the same items were tradeable it would be even worse, which is why notrade exists to begin with.
  13. tuda Lorekeeper

Hit the nail on the head. this is the broken mentality of EQ players these days.
    Joules_Bianchi and IheartEQ like this.
  14. Brontus EQ Player Activist

When the EQ devs tell us it's a "waste of time and money" I'll take this line of thinking seriously.
  15. Brontus EQ Player Activist

If that's the case, then the devs should make all loot NO TRADE. Then we'd finally put the perma camp sellers out of business but we'd destroy EverQuest in the process.

From what I have seen, NO TRADE is used arbitrarily by the devs. Some loot is NO TRADE, some loot is not.

From a reality perspective, the idea of NO TRADE makes no sense and is a design cop out. How can you not trade something?
  16. Treeconix Elder

How would all no trade destroy EQ? Literally 99% of all raid gear ever made is no trade. On TLPs, that gear is basically the only gear that matters at all.

Most augs are no trade. Most group gear above Tier 1 is no trade eventually as well.

The only things not normally no trade are tradeskill items and vendor trash. You're seriously overstating the effect that making all items no trade would be.

Rationale behind no trade (formerly no drop): It's a magical item that binds itself to you the moment you touch it.
    code-zero and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  17. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I don't know the exact numbers but 99% seems plausible. However, there are items that drop from dragons in the first few expansions that are tradeable.

Let's consider non-raid gear which is very important for players who are leveling up and players who don't wish to raid. Trade between players whether it's in the Commonlands tunnel or the Bazaar, is a big part of EverQuest. If all that loot was flagged as NO TRADE, EverQuest would come to a halt.

There is plenty of loot that is in non-raid zones that is currently NO TRADE. So it's not just loot that's available in raid zones or raid encounters; it's loot that drops all over the place. I maintain that the NO TRADE designation is often arbitrary and lacks rhyme or reason.

For example of the inconsistent loot philosophy, let's look at Golden Efreeti Boots. Not only are they not NO TRADE, they are not even LORE. What?!? That is insane. I still wear GEBS on most of my casters/priests who are currently on Yelinak in the Velious expansion.

I disagree. There is more to EQ than just raiding. See my comments above.

This rationale also seems believable but I'd love to hear the devs take on this. I think a BIND on EQUIP would be a far better solution because it would make loot tradeable but after it is attuned it would be taken off the market to avoid the item going down in value due to oversupply and eroding the prestige factor.

In the past, the devs were overzealous in the application of the NO TRADE flag on loot. Look at all of the newbie quest armor (by the time those quests are available most of it is worthless compared to Bazaar purchased gear). All of the quest items for newbie armor are *drum roll* you guessed it...no trade.

Farmers have figured out a way to circumvent the NO TRADE scheme and simply sell the loot rights. Most farmers have a mage waiting with Call of the Hero too. In the end, resourceful players will always find ways to circumvent the best laid plans of mice and devs.

NO TRADE should be only used sparingly, it at all.
  18. IheartEQ Elder

19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

This tells me you're clueless as to why notrade was established to begin with.
  20. Warpeace Augur

It's not doing what it was originally designed to do considering how many Krono some players have from TLP farming. Its a speed bump now days.

You can be as snarky as you want, its not holding people back from selling items on no trade servers.