More PvP enabled areas

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by uberkingkong, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

All true, I was just conjuring what I thought might be the least-difficult path to providing something that might be a little more dynamic than the bland PvP EQ has right now & attractive enough to pull in more than a handful of people.

Maybe an existing intrepid Daybreak coder/designer has a penchant for PvP & wants to take it on as a side project, not saying that's remotely likely just a "What if?" scenario.
    I guess easier still is just have a classic era TLP with PvP turned on using the standard Zek ruleset & nothing more done to it & see how that fares for a month but I think that would be a dead-end myself.
  2. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

It absolutely would be a dead end. I think even with your changes it would be more than likely not draw enough people to be profitable.

If we want to talk about things that would waste resources that they will probably never do, lets talk about going back through all eras and adding Raid Currency/vendors to all eras before VoA. At least that would be a very welcome change I think literally every single TLP player could get behind.

Edit: In fact, I'm going to make a post about it, just to see what people think.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Nozz99 New Member

Not sure why we can't have one attempted time-lock TLP. All the other TLPs other than Mischief have failed after a year anyways. There are NO PvP TLPs, not talking about LIVE servers. Stop comparing apples to oranges.
  4. Treeconix Elder

What's your definition of failed? A year into Aradune was POP. The population was still massive during that time. Even with the lower population it has now there are still plenty of guilds doing in era content and arguably still more people on Aradune that would ever play on a PvP TLP.
    Duder likes this.
  5. Magician9001 Augur

If 99 Red can get 663 players online at the sametime a lowball estimate is like 2k subs.
  6. Nozz99 New Member

McJumps doesn't want the PvP server, that's an end to the conversation! Truth is we don't know what a PvP TLP would look like because it hasn't been attempted. Sure there is hate for the idea from the same amount of people that love the idea (on the forums it seems), but there hasn't been a modern attempt at the server. You'll bring a crowd of people back to the game that has left, they may stay afterwards and draw long-term income from a group that they never were reaching. That's reason enough to attempt. Time-lock it, no need to change anything, no code or time of your precious GMs needed.
  7. Nozz99 New Member

We don't know how many would play, it's speculation either way.
  8. Treeconix Elder

The risk isn't worth the reward. That's it. It's not worth dev resources to make a PvP server without some kind of indication it would be popular. The only metrics available are P99 50 players-a-day Red (which isn't worth even discussing), a ghost town live server named Zek, and...that's it.
    TheRealMuramx likes this.
  9. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

It makes no difference what I want or do not want. I would probably give a PvP server a whack, just for S&G. But the problem is, even when DPG has given the PvP community a chance to flex their numbers to show enough interest in a PvP server, there have only been a very small amount of people who show up. And then the conversation dies.

If these PvP diehards cant even show up and voice how much they want a PvP server, then DPG has surmised that they wont show up in enough numbers to support an entire TLP server dedicated to them. The truth is, we DO know what a PvP server would look like. It would look the same as the Discord channel they set up to gauge interest - Empty. If the PvP community cannot even gather themselves to join a Discord channel to voice interest in getting a new PvP server, then maybe they really don't want one.
  10. Mossaa Augur

Private servers out there. Cannot make a TLP server just for you and your friends
  11. Nozz99 New Member

Well, you're not a dev, but I'm happy you can speak for them. Perhaps all the chatter within the forums is 'interest' after all. /shock
  12. Nozz99 New Member

It's hard to argue against 'build it and they well come,' and that's my argument.
  13. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

95% of the "chatter" you speak of is people opposed to your idea. The only interest here is people interested in not wasting devs time with something that has been shown time and time again to not be popular enough to warrant dev time being devoted to it.
  14. Nozz99 New Member

People make comments and then get shutdown by die hard pvp haters.
  15. Nozz99 New Member

you and one other just screaming loud hate isn't a ton of people saying that they don't like pvp server idea, it's two.
  16. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

With all due respect, that's a terrible argument considering that DPG already gave you a situation of "Join this Discord channel, and if there are enough of you, we will build it"

Are you telling me that all these PvP players that would, according to you, come out of the woodwork if they make a PvP server just couldn't be bothered to make an appearance knowing that if enough of them showed up they would consider a PvP TLP? If that's the case, the PvP community is in some serious trouble.
  17. Nozz99 New Member

I wasn't aware of the 'join the discord' event and I'm guessing is true for many. But if/when I got the email announcing the server, yeah I would had come back before now for that. I'm not alone, 100%
    Duder likes this.
  18. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

There are 9 pages of people other than me who are opposed to your idea. But it is clear to me that seems to have been lost on you and I should probably save some time and stop replying to you.

Have a nice day!
  19. Magician9001 Augur

There is an easily understandable causation. TLPs have AoCs, picks, QoL features, a different unlock schedule and don't lock in Velious. These features are much more important to your avg. 30-40 year old Everquest player then the 15 dollar a month subscription fee. It's the opposite of what your saying critical thinking leads to my point of view. Bias against is what leads to yours, it's why you were just saying "LMAO NO there will be less players" a few minutes ago, your feelings make you want their to be less, observation of the data and thinking why the data is what it is leads to understanding why there would be more.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because it takes a good amount of dev time to set each one up and it looks like it would be a wasted server as there won't be the population to support it?