Wizard Viability

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Shrinkage, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Shrinkage New Member

Hi all,

Me and 2 of my buddies are coming back to the game. I have a Pally, and one of my friends plays a bard. Our third wants to start a wizzy (100 heroic character), but is worried after reading up on the boards here. Would he be better off with a mage or necro? Thanks for any thoughts on the matter!
  2. Waitwhat Elder

If he read up on the boards, he will know to save himself true agony, and go with mage. Necro if he also likes damage over time spells. Necro can turn things into undead which the pally can "Slay Undead"! (pro tip) :)
  3. Cicelee Augur

Would he have more fun playing a wizard, a necro or a magician? I would go with that answer.

Would be a bummer to choose a flavor of the month class over a class you may really have wanted to play, only to see that flavor of the month be replaced by the class you wanted to play originally in the next expansion. Not saying it will or will not happen, just saying you should pic what you want to be and have fun regardless of what others are doing around you.
    Szilent likes this.
  4. Szilent Augur

I'm with Cicelee. Every year a bunch of early-TLP monks get all riled up when expansions roll over and the box they thought they were checking for I Play The Most Powerful Class doesn't hold up. EQ character creation ain't like picking a DOTA piece for the round. A player's gotta like what they're doing, not just their gamer tag on the leaderboard.

hyperbole like this isn't useful.
  5. kizant Augur

Necro has been one of the strongest classes in the game since release. They're in no danger of being a 'flavor of the month' class.
    ChiiChii and Dre. like this.
  6. minimind The Village Idiot

I made a level 85 heroic wizard a bit ago and played with some friends to get to 91-ish (just as a break from our other characters). Once you find out which nukes are worth casting and how to use your AA abilities, it's kinda stunning (at this level) how much you can knock off a mob's HP with just one nuke. It's really cool!

Add to that the the ability to port all over the place, set multiple bind points for yourself and teleport your group to your primary bind point, and you got yourself a fun class.

The only part I found annoying was the very obvious value of malo/tash on wizzie nukes, but not being able to cast it myself. It makes having a shaman, magician, and, or enchanter in the group pretty useful.
    Dre. likes this.
  7. Waitwhat Elder

Grats on being the first member on the forum to post only useful words, with no emotion behind them then.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

A pally bard duo would benefit huuuugely from a shaman. Having shammy buffs and SLOWS (slows are a must in some places stuff hits like trucks) on tap is pretty much /win EQ for a pally / bard team.

Necro is very capable, but is meh when group is AoEing trash and or killing mobs in under 30 seconds each.

Mage will at least get some licks in. modrods, Call of the Hero, great DPS and an off tank, as pally and bard aren't exactly blazing DPS Bard and Mage is amazing synergy.
  9. Lyyr Lorekeeper

Ports, evac, and teleport to bind are very useful Wizard abilities that only a Druid can match.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. code-zero Augur

Teleport bind with secondary and tertiary bind is awesome. I know people who have rogue and mages they never play. Rogue corpse drags the mage which of course died then uses a rez token or merc to get them up then shuffles around group using CotH to get people to the location. So kludgy but they don't even seem to realize it