Can't charm rare creatures

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by 00emba, Jun 6, 2022.

1. 00emba New Member

Unfortunately found out, as I was trying to charm an undead barkeep in UR, that creatures tagged as "rare" can longer be charmed.

I'm most likely late to any discussion on the matter, but when I received the "you can't do that" msg I immediately found a rep for my spot and just /camped. Was so excited to watch those backstabs - but the fun police decided NO?!

In a recent AC drama thread, it mentions this *new feature as well and describes it as a fix for toxic behavior surrounding quest mobs... yet also points out that said toxic behavior still exists but has merely changed hands from charming classes to the big boi DPS classes.

Was this change actually justified??!! Ugh.
  2. Appren Gnomercy

Yes.
    rangerous, Lanffear, Roxas MM and 4 others like this.
  3. HekkHekkHekk Augur

And the meek shall inherit Norrath.
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Yes. Yes it was.

People would charm a named mob and run it away to their kill spot. Didn't matter if you had not engaged yet or had it down to 1% health. It'd be snagged and bagged by someone else.
    Risiko, Zanarnar and Skuz like this.
  5. Midnitewolf Augur

Yeah for multiple reasons. I could be wrong but I don't think multiple rares/named can be spawned at the same time and since these rares/named are required to be killed for their drops, you could theoretically charm them and prevent access to them for hours upon hours.
  6. 00emba New Member

Do you happen to know the history of when cancel magic/pumice was usable on player charmed mobs?
    We're getting into PvP territory now(which I think is generally a great solution to toxic behavior), but it seems to me that the original available mechanics(being able to cancel magic/pumice pets) would be able to resolve charm as a weapon for "kill stealing".
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  7. 00emba New Member

So, basically, IMHO the prior form of the game seemed to be a better and more self-regulating environment.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And it could also be used to grief players by dispelling their charm in an attempt to steal the camp they are in.
    Skuz and Nickatropolis like this.
  9. Kahna Augur

Except it didn't. Chanters could charm the mob and gate within the zone with the mob before anyone else could dispell it. The mob would instantly warp to them in their lonely little corner of the zone and they could kill it at their leisure. This wasn't changed on a whim, it was changed after years of people using charm for KSing and the issue getting worse and worse with each TLP. So it was changed.
  10. 00emba New Member

Yes, yes it could be used that way. But I assume this was also violation of PNP similar to training(most likely I assume)?

That's a lot of *flavor lost by eliminating some super fun charms - removes some of the sand from the sandbox... Quite sad.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think it is better the way it is where players can't break other players charms if they are not grouped and they can't keep a named locked down by keeping it charmed.
    Skuz, Nickatropolis and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  12. 00emba New Member

Well, you make some good points - I guess I'm 100% more in favor of maintaining opportunity for player-regulated interaction as opposed to the government coming and taking our rights.

Gate cast time: 5
    Cancel Magic cast time: 3.5
    Crystallized Pumice cast time: 3.0!!!!

I would never say "git gud" or anything, but the opportunity is there to defend against this tactic. I mean WAS there...
  13. FranktheBank Augur

Oh look, another person in favor of PVP that has bad takes.

As someone who used to carry pumice, it doesnt matter if they were charm + Cothing (timing it) or charm + rezzing. Those are near instant warps and pumice is not instant.
    Xyroff-cazic. likes this.
  14. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

PNP hasn't been enforced in over 7 years. Training? Yes, but PNP? No.

Some will argue this that or the other thing.. but simple zone disruption has been reported and posted ad nauseam to no avail. (Yes you don't need to be using 3rd party apps for this, they simply don't enforce it).

Additionally, every portion of the PNP is subject to GM/CS discretion (Hence, it hasn't been enforced in years).

Offensive player names, zone disruption, language, unattended gameplay, exploits, FiF, whatever it is..

They simply pick and choose what they will enforce and how they hand out said penalty. They aren't bound to enforce any portion of the PNP. They even list them as "suggested guidelines."
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Ok not familiar with "PNP" and google says its:

PnP to stand for "print and play

PnP stands for "party and play, mostly used on dating sites and twitter used by teens

Neither of those make sense but I can attest to the fact if you have a name violation or are harassing/bullying someone or using bad language in game they will take your report seriously. In fact someone just posted last week they had gotten suspended for using cuss words in game.
  16. Barder-mangler Augur

I've played chanter for nearly two decades now, the change was warranted and needed. People were holding epic quest mobs/key mobs/other rare mobs hostage via charm. The gate away portion was just one part of the issue. It was very common for two groups competing for some of the same mobs to go in and hostage charm the opposing groups rare mobs (people still do this by charming the PH of someone else's camp lol), among many many other CS issues that would result from this.

While I miss charming some special rare mobs (barkeep included in unrest), the change is definitely for the better IMO.
    Skuz and Nickatropolis like this.
  17. Gnothappening Augur

PNP was the "play nice policy." I think it died a longer than 7 years ago, but I could be wrong. I do remember it back in the early days of EQ.
    Loup Garou likes this.
  18. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

It got rolled into the DBG Rules of Conduct, Section 2.

That's when they called out they wouldn't deal with player disputes, camps, First in Force, etc.. and added the vague wording that lets them choose when they want to enforce or ignore the policy at their discretion.
  19. Nickatropolis Augur

Sounds like charming the PH is still an option to c*ck block... never even thought of doing this before.
  20. Stymie Pendragon

It is short for Play Nice Policy.