raiding paladin

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by johnnie, Mar 6, 2022.

1. johnnie Journeyman

his paladin a good class to raid with in a new tlp?and should i box a druid,enchanter and 3 mages in group ?
  2. Siah Elder

Depending on what expansion the new TLP starts at really... Paladin's have a rough time Pre-PoP. As far as tanks go especially in Classic, Kunark, and usually Velious you'll always want a SK or Warrior tank whether it be grouping or raiding as they are much stronger in-era. However, during and after PoP Paladin's start to get really good group heals and long stuns, both of which are extremely good for agro. They also start getting super beefy with AC. During OoW when they get their Anguish BP they become almost invincible for the length of time the BP click is up.

So for the most part, they start off rough, but they definitely get better as expansions progress.

Note: This is just my opinion so take it as it is.
    Stewgottz likes this.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Paladins are fine unless you want to main tank raids.
  4. FranktheBank Augur

No.
    Ulain likes this.
  5. Vindar Augur

It really doesn't matter. Raids are so brain dead easy until later expansions, just play what you enjoy.
  6. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Play what you want to play. Hardcore raid guilds may at times impose limits on the number of knights that can join the raid, but if you entrench yourself in the early days, then you can be The Guy™. Paladins really start to come into their own in the higher levels of Luclin and PoP. More specifically as group tanks, but there are plenty of times you need a rampage tank, and Paladin is your best choice, when properly equipped.
    Iyacc likes this.
  7. NImxat Elder

Paladins are useful on early raids (just not as main tanks) and typically low in numbers so you can get your class drops easily enough. Not a bad choice.
  8. Twizzzy New Member

your setup is made worse by having a paladin in the group. paladins suck, they tank worse than a ranger due to there non existant dps, dont be fooled into playing one prior to pop thinking they are useful
  9. Gnothappening Augur

Divine Hammer of Consternation. That is a raiding paladin once Luclin drops.
  10. jeskola pheerie

What? Please elaborate
  11. Twizzzy New Member

So his group makeup consists of 3 pets + charm, prior to luclin a ranger will be able to pull and hols agro more consistently than a paladin, during luclin assuming your raid geared, there isnt anything his setup can accomplish better with a paladin than a ranger whose tanking, and when you factor in a rangers dps prior to luclin from tanking and then charm tanking in luclin to allow for max dps on the ranger theres little point bringing a 100 dps palain who is going to struggle prior to pop to bring anything meaningful to the party
  12. Abundant Elder

o_O
  13. jeskola pheerie

I am guessing that guy never leaves Grieg's end
  14. Zealot1340 Lorekeeper

Paladins are great, don't listen to the haters. I play one on Aradune (nearing the end of DoN expac) and have since day 1 of classic. Been a great class in every expansion.

Your dps is low yes, but if you are boxing druid + enchanter + 3 mages the dmg output of your tank class isn't as important as the tanking/utility you'll provide as a paladin.
    Vindar and Z3R0 like this.
  15. TheTone Elder

Paladins are awesome to raid with...no one plays them, so you can easily get loot on the cheap.

Paladins are like 90% as good as SKs in my opinion...they don't have quite as many tools, but hell, early EQ is so scripted and easy, min-maxing is only a thing neckbeards do to get their E_rocks off when TikTok goes down.
  16. Arclyte Augur

I like the idea of being a Paladin for the RP and being the "hero" class. I've been playing an Angel Paladin in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous and it's pretty cool.

EQ paladin until later just seems incredibly weak offensively. I think I could tolerate the bad damage if they at least got Cease and Desist in classic.
  17. jeskola pheerie

This theory goes to sh*t when you realize 95% of your gear is shared amongst the 5 plate classes or all/all
  18. jeskola pheerie

I don't really think EQ neckbeards are all about TikTok, there is quite the age gap in the demographic.
  19. Arclyte Augur

I think you underestimate how many min/max munchkins play this game. It's practically a form of mania.
    Nennius likes this.
  20. LoLitsNeal Journeyman

Two things.
    1) Dude saying a Ranger is a better tank is wildly mistaking, lol. The AC difference alone will make the Ranger get crunched way more often. Especially against higher level mobs.
    2) I was wanting to start a Paladin on next TLP. Everyone saying their damage is low but what is actually the big difference between a SK/Warrior/Paladin damage wise till later expansions?

Do the lower level SK dots/lifetaps really add that much damage? Also if you are tanking, you are not casting much anyways to conserve mana as a SK. I also don't think the warrior Auto attack would outshine Hybrids THAT much until later expansions either? Yes, its better, but not by THAT much I believe? This is all in theory mind you. The way everyone acts its like Paladins do considerably less damage, which doesn't seem to be the case, moreso in classic. More opinions welcomed!