Weekly Server Reset

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Feb 17, 2022.

1. Metanis Bad Company

They already do monthly maintenance during patch days. A monthly restart should be adequate for nearly any system. That fact that it's not points to underlying code conditions that need to be fixed.

But if we're going to do weekly's I would suggest Wednesday mornings at 6:00am Pacific. Because that's the time and day we're already accustomed to server bounces. This could probably be scripted and not even require a body get involved.
  2. Cicelee Augur

The majority of your raid guilds do not necessarily raid Wed-Fri/Sat. While I understand the philosophy behind a Wednesday reset time, it also allows things to enter the game and start to slow it down so that by the time the majority of the raid guilds start their weekly farm raids (i.e. Sunday), the servers are lagging and thus, raids lag. That is why I had proposed a Sunday morning restart, or even a Friday afternoon, to try and minimize how much stuff that starts to bog down servers gets into the servers.

Keep in mind this thread focuses on minimizing/reducing/eliminating raid lag. And I agree that testing and analysis needs to be done on both a macro and micro level before you can state that server reset does help reduce lag (or has zero affect). But it was a thought that is at least worth a discussion.
    Wdor and Metanis like this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If servers can’t even last a full week after a restart we have much bigger problems.
  4. Tevik Augur

I get what you're implying about server stability, but I wouldn't wear it as a badge of honor that you haven't patched your servers in 3+ years.
    Wdor and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  5. Tegila Augur

Idk or care really how much a pita it would be to implement or anything else, nor do I care really if they put it in(there are other perks they could harvest by doing so with a tiny modification but that's a different topic) but I definitely vote for a different time than any proposed. Old patches started at midnight pst...that was probably the best time for a reset. Est that's 3am, euro that's still morning, still afternoon in australasia(but cutting it close). 2pm PST is 5pm est..a busy time, 10pm+ for euro, but early morning australasia. I'd even say 11pm pst to further decrease australasia impact but that cuts in on pst players. Idk what time ppl raid these days...we always did 8-9pm til finished, but I guess some may raid in afternoon or early evening. The whole 6am pst always bugged me though, if they could automate it under soe to start at midnight their time, why can't they now? 6am resets 9am est, 2pm+ euro, 11pm+ australasia...if only a brief time I guess that's ok but not ideal, and horrible for 6-8+ hr downtimes. Midnight pst is probably best for all imo.
    Wdor likes this.
  6. Zarkdon Augur

They have been doing monthly patches for years and there was no magic lag free window.
    Shanarias and Skuz like this.
  7. Cicelee Augur

Probably not a good time for the DBG employee(s) who have to be there to make sure nothing goes wrong, if that is a thing...
  8. Tegila Augur

True but like I said, SOE did full patches at that time for many years and had fewer unplanned extensions than we get now. For a simple reboot I don't think it needs all that hands-on presence any more than (much less than actually) scheduling Windows updates to happen while you sleep. I doubt they regularly start their workday at 6am either (patchtime), but I bet more would prefer to stay up til midnight than get up at o-dark-thirty to be ready and AT work by 6 too lol.
  9. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I’d assume they would at least have 1 Operations position with 24/7 coverage to monitor and resolve server issues.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

24/7 coverage likely means they get paged and wake up when there is an issue not being awake and monitoring servers at all hours of the day.
  11. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

A few months back, the servers dropped in the evening on a Sunday night. I messaged Accendo directly hoping to get somebody's attention. He replied back to me, and this is not a direct quote, but he said there are always people monitoring the servers, and as soon as there is a problem, they get notifications.
  12. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Even the messenger pigeon has to take a nap once in a while.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think you are reading to much into that and I don’t think it is a person who is monitoring the servers 24/7 but tools that monitor them around the clock and send out alerts as needed. This way the appropriate people get alerted as soon as there is trouble and they can take action. Actually paying people to monitor the servers 24/7 can be very expensive and is only done in places with a very large number of servers such as the owners of a data center and then it is still tools that alert when manual monitoring is needed.
    Coagagin likes this.
  14. Coagagin Guild house cat

Well, set a different time slot for AB server or any other European based server and that would be fine. We see lag slowly increasing over the month between recycling which brings us back to the same old story about memory leaks and the promise of 64 bit client/server bugs yet to be worked out.

First priority is to have Anniversary content up and ready to go in less than a month, bug fixes on the 2022 roadmap are after Anniversary as they should be as those bugs aren't critical at this time, just annoying.
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

Instead they could setup a disconnect / force camp for idle time. Force all traders into offline mode after a set amount of time. The amount of people drawing down server resources by leaving characters idle is probably huge. Crossout kicks me back to splash screen after 5-10 minutes. I can leave my character in EQ indefinitely. The true benefits of server resets is probably the act of forcing people offline.
    Wdor, Metanis and Jumbur like this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This would likely draw as big of an outrage as weekly server resets if not bigger as there are plenty of people who want to stay online for various reasons.
  17. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Is there a legitimate reason to park your 72-man boxed (possibly botted as well) raid force in PoK 24/7?
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Did I say anything about legitimate reasons in my response? Besides I would guess that people parking 72 character bot armies in PoK are in the minority and there are many other people who like to leave their toons logged in for various reasons. You are not doing yourself any favors by making such an extreme argument against the idea that people will complain if they are auto logged out. In fact you can see those very complaints in the TLP section where people complain getting logged out of the newer TLP servers while they have the anti afk code on. In fact they do this on those servers because there can be a queue to log in at times.
  19. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Oh no! He called me an extremist! Yeah, not my first rodeo, pal.

Don't think I was singling out the bot armies, it is easily extended to literally everybody that stays logged in, for whatever reason. And just so you fully understand, there hasn't been a queue on any of the current TLPs, since MAYBE a week after Mischief launched.
    Wdor likes this.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This guy raids.

I believe he may also have mapped his cognitive domain and uses critical thinking diagrams before every post. Much respect, Sancus. :cool: