Discontinued Spell lines - for better or for worse?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Silv, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Silv Augur

Link to the post? And do you mean specifically hCHA not just CHA in general?
  2. silku Augur

I wasn't talking about the charmed pet. I said the summoned pet, shiny bob, can't hold aggro.
  3. Filatal Augur

Some of what I am saying is from the beta discussion and I won't link those. If you would like to read the bit about hCha being a free stat and have access to the beta boards, you can look it up under the Class armor discussion. The post is by Chandrok.

My original point was about hCha, but now that you mention it, Elidroth clearly stated in our recent AA IRC that normal CHA is already past its point of effectiveness and more would not do any good when someone asked for an enchanter AA that let them get a higher CHA.

CHA/hCHA is pretty much a dead end stat now.
  4. Silv Augur

I've seen the beta posts and the comments from the IRC chats you are talking about. I feel you've misinterpreted the comments in both cases. Chandrok and Eli's comments are not clear enough to draw those conclusions.

The hCHA on gear comment was simply that it was no longer counted against an item's total heroic count. Nothing else. There were two augs just last expansion that had hCHA on them and every class BUT Enchanters had hCHA on their armor in VoA. Doesn't really sound like a dead end stat with that kindof intentional itemization.

Eli's comment said it was impossible to further raise any stat cap although the question was specifically about a CHA buff.

Until someone clearly says otherwise, I'll still stick to the official information that clearly states the function of CHA.
  5. Keise Elder

The only way to really tell if charisma is working is by selling to vendors, and after the low 100's the vendors don't pay any extra
  6. Camou the Persistent Augur

Are you speaking of the same devs, who stated yesterday, that the collection items are now working?

- Heroic Charisma: Improves reaction rolls with some NPCs and increases the amount of faction you gain or lose when faction is adjusted.

First time i heard of Charisma at all is useless and doesnt do anything but influence prices at vendors, that was 1999. Since that i have heard so many things about waht it does and what not and what somebody heard or read what devs said yadayadayada. And the same stuff is being told about hCHA. I have my own opinion about it and proven like dozens of times in hundreds of trials and with lots of logs what it does. And i am tired of it. If you dont need it, want it or believe it does nothing, go on with it :) Just dont complain about what happens then :)
  7. Camou the Persistent Augur

This is the all-years-after-expansion-charisma-discussion starting.

Cha never was dead, and never can be dead - it is technically impossible and still beside AC and INT/hINT very important.
  8. Filatal Augur

Link to post that states to official function of CHA/hCHA. Show me where it stops you from mezzing yourself. The only official post I have ever seen, and it is quite dated, is that it affects faction hits. Eli specifically stated that more CHA would not do any good

[12:24] <@Elidroth> BJ - main stats are capped unfortunately. I could give you 10000000 CHA and it wouldn't make a difference anymore

That means more charisma is useless. I never said CHA is useless, though at what point the returns diminish significantly could be a point of debate. But MORE CHA is useless, that is flat out no mistake exactly what Eli said.

hCHA is useless. The only intent EVER was to affect faction. And it may or may not have done that, but it gives zero usefulness for an enchanter and their role.

Believe it if you need it, but give me some hard evidence. If it is such a critical stat, why was it not considered important enough to be one of the 3 stats for enchanter specific gear? I believe agi/stam/int were our three.
  9. Silv Augur

Based on that statement... more of ANY stat does not make a difference.

I never said anything about high CHA preventing you from mezzing yourself. I have no clue where people got that idea.

The function of hCHA specifically is in the patch notes along with the other heroic stat descriptions when they were first released and I'm guessing that is what you also read. Yes, it supposedly impacted faction, giving you a +% modifier so you would gain it more quickly than someone with no hCHA.

Discussions on Charisma can be found on the Runes or in transcripts from previous FF. Granted, those were from quite some time ago but I have no reason to believe they've significantly altered the mechanics. Official statements indicated CHA reduced the chance of mob aggro on lull resists, increased the chance to land charm and roll a successful check each tic, as well as reduce mez resists.

All of those except the charm are things that could potentially be parsed. The effort to do so would be quite extensive and I have no desire to invest time to try it. It's possible someone has done it at one point but I can't recall.

It's easy to get high CHA and hCHA if you want it. I'm not going to try and convince you to boost your charisma. This argument has been ongoing since '99. It's up there with other eternal Enchanter debates such as HP vs AC, Charming, Shiny Bob, DPS, Illusions, etc.
  10. Silv Augur

Fil- I just wanted to let you know you were right. I received a response back from Chandrok about CHA- heroic CHA only affects faction and anything over the CHA stat cap will not affect lull, charm, mez, etc. My apologies.
  11. Keise Elder

Yeah, i agree, but if he's fighting something he can tank....and live, i wouldn't be worried about getting agro from the mob
    Only the annoying spell interrupts, he's still great for pulling and just as good as a stun rune for getting agro off you long enough to correct a bad situation, until he's able to tank current content i wouldn't worry too much about how well he holds agro
  12. Keise Elder

Think of yourself as a wanna-be mage, keep a pet summoned and put up for future use (not sure how well this works with low pet AA's) but this pet is great for its intended use
  13. silku Augur

And what is it's intended use? What is the purpose of a pet? I mean if I'm charming, shiny bob isn't going to see the light of day. If I'm not charming, he's still likely not going to be out as I may need to charm to get things going. In green content I just nuke, he's not worth it then. In light blue content, a charmed mob is still more dps than he is, which is sad. Our pet has no real purpose, even with pet AA. If he can't get aggro, he can't be a 'speed bump' to slow the mob down. Do you see pets as only a meager dot? 700 a tick?
  14. fransisco Augur

i dont even buy the rank1 version of our pets. I wait until I have a item to spare to give me the rank2 for that expansion. They should discontinue our pet, no one would even notice
  15. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Chanter pet is good for Shaman Lion line procs, and adding a hit to Mage strike of many line...
  16. Silv Augur

Which is great but the pet shouldn't require one or two other classes to be worthwhile. I'm not disagreeing- both of those are good instances to use Shiny, but in the big picture, he's worthless.

Our pet can't tank. It will never tank current content. The mages would be running around with pitchforks and torches chasing Enchanters if it even appeared like our pet was upgraded to tank.

If they (The Vision) want it to be a static DoT- triple the damage, give it a proc of some sort... anything. It wouldn't be overpowered because 1-2 rounds and it's dead. Currently, our Lv. 96 pet does damage on par with a low 80ish Mage pet at best. We don't get a million ranks of pet flurry or crit like mages/necros either to make it somewhat decent.

It's really sad because when I'm in a situation where I can't charm (ie. no charmable mobs) I find I don't even bother to bring out Shiny Bob.
    silku likes this.
  17. Keise Elder

He's another speed bump, don't call on him to tank and kill a mob, but if you have agro...and your not chain nuking hes going to stop the mob with plenty of time to spare for CC (not sure about pre86 pet) i know you can't use him while charming, he'll save your butt in other ways though.....and just a click away...if your using him for DPS you will be disappointed
    Or in a really tough area to pull, like rooms or corners where you know your going to get agro before you can safely CC the area, i use him as a sacrifice to pull, target a mob have him stay, get back to your group and send him in, now your waiting for your mobs and have plenty of time to CC....and never a complaint about dying from him
    He was never intended to be anything other than for defense (before AA's he wouldn't do anything until you got hit) after some AA's where we could control him the only thing he really added was a sacrificial pulling ability.....he can tank in lower content
  18. Keise Elder

Would i like to see an improved pet?....heck ya
  19. silku Augur

The problem I see is, anywhere he can tank... I can tank better. I also don't find we need a speed bump, we can do much better than sending in a pet and waiting for a train caused by it. All of which works, but it's much easier to control the mobs via mez, punt, etc. I think that is the point, even as a speed bump, he's lacking.
  20. fransisco Augur

our pet always gets in the way. We cannot charm with it, and its pretty worthless.
    How about we just stop getting summoned pets? Clean things up and focus on other stuff