Shocker

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lelandod, May 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hnoss New Member

I liked it.
  2. minimind The Village Idiot

You must be having a laugh. It's 118f in the sun right now.
  3. Jarok Journeyman

Hehe, big words must scare you. How about instead I call it "planning the derp"

Current EQ problem - Unplanned derp. :eek:
    Volas likes this.
  4. johntherob Journeyman

The new ones they got were refurbished from The Hub....
  5. minimind The Village Idiot

I like mine with salt and pepper. Do you have any pepper back there?
  6. Herf Augur

[IMG]
    Zamiam and Chikkin like this.
  7. johntherob Journeyman

Yes but the migrated them onto refurbished ones i bet. If they were all new this wouldnt be happening.
  8. Herf Augur

9. Lelandod New Member

Big words used wildly incorrectly do scare me, yes.
  10. Sine_of_the_Times New Member

Will you two downies take it to PMs? Christ.
    Herf likes this.
  11. Metanis Bad Company

I subscribe to the notion that the number of kludges required to hold EQ together has reached the point that talent and money can no longer hold it together. They had the money after selling all those lifetime subscriptions. And although I have no empirical way to prove it I don't think a lack of talent is a defining issue. (You can always rent talent if you need it! Especially in California!)

So if money and talent can't fix it then it means it's a horrendous stack of digital band-aides, duct tape, bailing wire, and glue that just can't be solved by normal human beings. (And this means you can't easily bring in outside "experts" because they'll never get a handle on all the custom things going on.)

And I'm not discussing "servers", but the whole set of infrastructure components, such as billing, login & authentication, network balance, load sharing, security inspection and flow appliances, scripting, databases, backup, emulation, virtualization, patch management, etc., etc. (New hardware was just added to the mix last week!)

After 20+ years of changes, even intelligent ones, a system perhaps reaches the Phoenix stage where the only option is a complete death and rebirth. Or maybe it's time to outsource Operations to some company like Blizzard that would force a re-write of substantial portions of the infrastructure of the game.
  12. Herf Augur

I'm pretty sure they're on record as saying they can't fully test a release until they go live. Which shows a terrible dev/test architecture. Which they are not alone in. I worked at a large game company some years ago which had the same problem. Most of their products are no longer available..though I've heard rumors that they were saddled internally with a lot of the crap for years afterwards.

Just to satisfy my curiosity I'd LOVE to actually see some of the code. Maybe a vague diagram of server architecture, and test architecture. 'not going to happen of course, but I can dream.
    Metanis likes this.
  13. Lelandod New Member

How'd you know I'm related to Iron Man?
  14. JB01 New Member

I read a very entertaining comment this morning in general chat:

They should hire the people who run servers for adult websites, they don't ever seem to go offline.
    Herf and Metanis like this.
  15. Rhaane New Member

My theory is the EQ Next hardware that was collecting dust in some closet got shoved into our server setup and all the failure and disappointment that was stored in it has spilled over and contaminated Norrath.

Rewrite time.. Everquest: A Realm Reborne (put the e on there for snootiness and to be completely and totally different from FFXIV)
  16. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

They are using the hardware from the merged servers.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

Quite honestly, I have never put pepper on popcorn.
  18. killswitch87 Journeyman

Beep Beep I'm a jeep.
    Herf likes this.
  19. Kialya Keeping your butt alive since 2002

I logged in *just* to like and quote this post. I LOL'd.

Herf likes this.
  20. Dilquan Augur

Can I have your stuff bruh?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.