Selo exp needs to be absolutely huge to succeed. Not just tweaked.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Montag, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Montag Augur

With such a fast unlock schedule, levels and AA need be something people don't even have to think about.

They need to be free to spend their time focusing on gear, keys, flags, etc. Otherwise people will just quietly stop playing, most will not not come here and post, they'll just fade away.

As it is, it isn't even that fast with the anniversary bonus applied. No way this is gonna work long term. And it's especially frustrating considering we were initially expecting an ultra casual server. It's fine that that changed to fast, but it needs to be FAST, like, REAL fast, not just "less slow".

If you do this right, you could use this concept as a feeder server to live indefinitely and as future Selo clones reach live you merge them into Selo. Similar to previous suggestions for using future Agnarr clones as feeder servers for Agnarr for players who only want the early years expacs.

But, ya, of course there will be people without working class adult life schedules who will say it's fine as it is, but it definitely isn't fine for most. I'm talking like quintuple the exp.
    Icaen, Ajjantis and Volts like this.
  2. Protagonist Tank

Yeah. Someone should have pointed that out. Over and over. For the last month. In dozens of threads. Some of which are still on the first page of the forums. Anyone at all.

Shame nobody did that and it was impossible for anyone to see that coming until you played there for a few weeks.
    Brumans, Crayon123, Barton and 2 others like this.
  3. Volts Elder

I agree. For selo to succeed, they need to take a serious look at EXP through all expansions. Their plan is to have it stay at current live rate past TSS. This isn't going to work, they need to to keep going up. The current AA exp needs to be about 5X or more to succeed and go up each expansion. It's nothing more than an event server unless they make changes. Was a fun event server, but could be so much more.
  4. yerm Augur

Selo is the answer to the group of us who want to see the various expansions and progress through them, but not necessarily dwell on them or do every aspect. I want to always log in with the feeling like there is a wealth of things I can do, but little that I NEED to do.

My opinion is that the spirit of the server may be to get to live, but for play, is more akin to test. People can do anything they want but don't need to do everything they want, at least in era. Consider setting test xp as the benchmark here instead of merely live.

You really and truly DID have it right when you called selo a casual server based on Absor's definition of casual. Fast xp, eventually (75+ I think since 70s have plenty of space) even faster than live, is how to realize this.
    Volts likes this.
  5. RandomStrategy Augur

I got to level 12 on my 3 box on Selo, then decided to bail to Mangler because despite the faster exp, it's not enough to stay relevant in era with month unlocks.

I'm retiring to Mangler from Agnarr racing because of real life events that have changed priorities in my playtime.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

I could be wrong but wasn't the point of this server to target more of the hardcore peeps who claim to be the best of the best. Yes I know they got the labels wrong initially but everyone knew going into this that Selo would be fast paced aimed at those who enjoy the race without sitting around waiting for unlocks. Numerous people commented on how difficult it would be to stay up to date at this pace and how superior time management and intelligent spending on AA's and gearing would be a must. I am not saying they should not bump the xp rate but if anyone was really this oblivious to how difficult it would be they have either been playing a different game or are really not the target audience for a server such as this. This server has not even seen its first unlock and people are already complaining about the obvious issues and that is this is not a casual server. Making it a casual server when literally every other server is aimed at this player base really would not be fair to those who signed up for a true race imo but I have no interest in it so if that is what the majority of the server wants give it to them I guess.
    snailish likes this.
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

8. yerm Augur

No, the point of this server was NOT to target the hardcore best of the best. It was aimed at people who didn't care about getting max bis or completing every possible quest, rather to simply breeze through the expansions. Us racing folks just decided to show up here.

We are also far from the majority. We don't even want the server to cater to us 100% either; stick with the plan and keep things fast and us racers will make due.
    Icaen and code-zero like this.
  9. Machentoo Augur

Just the opposite, Selos was initially advertised as the casuals server. Now it is just the "fast" server.
  10. Aurastrider Augur

I already pointed out they got the labels wrong which is why there were changes made in the first place. They made mangler more of a casual option. Calling it fast paced is just another word for hardcore in the mmo world. Sure casuals can hang around and watch the unlocks fly bye but they will hit a point where they are irrelevant just like a new toon on live and basically be no better off. If people cant hang with the more hardcore players this early on it might be a good idea to reevaluate this server choice unless they can form a casual guild to move slowly through the content together.
    Ishbu likes this.
  11. HoodenShuklak Augur

The thing about casuals is play time and minimal socking.

Selo gives you the most bang for your buck on both fronts. There literally is no better option right now. A true casual doesn't need nor aim to raid in era content.

I wouldn't be suprised if before too long every guild on selo is "casual." It will be a good tour through eq, but how many addicts are going to raid 4 or more hours every day for a year in a server with a few hundred actives?
  12. yerm Augur

This is a server where you spend little time per expansion compared to other tlps. Mangler is a server where you need to spend more time per expansion but less time per real life day to do the same things.

Selo therefore appeals to people who are less concerned about completing everything in era or less interested in a grind. The actual perfect target for selo should actually be the casual but decent playtime crowd - if you can get past the ridiculous attitude around here that casual IS low playtime. These folks that like to play at least a moderate amount and not worry so much should do great, eg what I believe we see with altered minds. This is also who the server needs to cater to - NOT towards me.
  13. Ishbu Augur

I find that I mostly agree with your assessment here and I fit the description of the player that Selos is for, but I still find myself on mangler.

Even the casuals with a good amount of time are in jeopardy of having a week come up where playtime becomes non existent. With 8-12 week unlocks I know I'll still have time to cover the bases.

I guess this just means Selos is a learning experience. A lot of good but future interactions have tweaks to be made
  14. yerm Augur

I think you are making a very common mistake, though hopefully I'm wrong and it all works out for you.

The problem with the mangler (aka coirnav aka phinny) ruleset with pickzones, aocs, and relatively long unlocks (compared to selo or combine) is burnout. People worry about falling behind and too much to catch up, but most people you see quit are bored - too LITTLE left to do. If you have a decent playtime the worry is that you will hit a point on mangler with nothing fun to do, because you did what you wanted and don't much care about what's left.

The advantage of selo is that the boredom factor is way harder to achieve. The falling behind is not actually that bad and more perception - the rares and unlocks actually make it much less total time spent being behind. Where selo fails is if you are OCD about finishing expansions in era, getting max stats before moving on, that dort of thing. If that latter stuff doesn't bother you I strongly recommend selo.
  15. Aurastrider Augur

That is not a ridiculous thought process or statement. Casuals by default are not going to have anywhere near the amount of time to invest into this game as a hardcore player. Have you ever heard someone say "that guy is a workaholic" and yet they only work 20 hours a week but do an awesome job? No people dedicate "hardcore" references for people that spend an above average amount of time/effort doing something generally speaking. On that end just because someone spends a lot of time doing something does not mean they do it with hardcore effort either which is why the best equation I have seen presented for determining hardcore vs casual is as follows.

Minimal<----------->Maximum (Play time)
    +
    Minimal<----------->Maximum (Effort)

Basically the casual crowd who likes the idea of Selo wants a server with fast unlocks but does not want to actually focus on levels or AA's from the sounds of it. Maybe asking for Selo 2.0 with levels or at least AA's autogranted from the start would appeal to this crowd. As for the current state it really does appeal to the more hardcore if you actually want to stay relevant and matter as the expansions unlock.
    snailish likes this.
  16. Krasis New Member

I don't understand the issue. With 1 month unlocks, autogrants will be raining down on us.
    Barton likes this.
  17. Volts Elder

No disrespect Aurastrider, but we tried to hammer out the difference between causal and hardcore on the forum when the servers were announced. There were a bunch of threads and it was very unproductive as there were as many opinions as there were threads. Too many people were/are worried about the semantics of caual/hardcore instead of just focusing on how to make the servers great.
    snailish likes this.
  18. Ishbu Augur

I played on ragefire for a bit and then Agnar so I know this pace can work out for me, but I hear your point and agree there is a lot of that boredom that settles in and drives people away at 12week speed
  19. Ceffener Augur

Auto grant will be 4 months behind the current expansion.
    Barton likes this.
  20. Machentoo Augur

More than that. It's 4 AA granting expansions, so at the end of the level 70 stretch it will be 8 months behind.
    Ulain and snailish like this.