Classic Ranger DPS

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Stranger, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Stranger New Member

Just wondering how bad ranger DPS is compared to the others in classic. I know its not good, but is it like 10% behind monk or 50%? I was having trouble finding actual numbers about this. If they aren't too far behind then I will still roll one but if its really bad then I wont. Also curious about how they compare in Kunark and Velious. I want to play on Mangler because the 1 month unlocks seems too fast on Selo's but rather not be playing a sorta "gimped" dps for several months in the meantime. thanks.
  2. Machentoo Augur

Closer to 50% than 10%.
  3. callius Journeyman

Monk 100% - warrior / ranger 50% - Paladin/SK - 30% - Bard 20%
    Though for grouping ranger is probably a more useful tank than most for the first few expansions.
    Snare / Sow / Root / Harmony + DPS and tanking about the same as a warrior for group content.
  4. ShivanAngel Augur

Having main healed in classic>pop warriors, sk’s and pallies are way easier to heal then rangers. The discrepancy gets wider as the plate tanks ac pulls further and further ahead.

They can tank in a pinch, but j wouldnt want to main heal for any significant amount of time with a ranger tankin.
  5. Vindaven Elder

Based on my personal observations raiding all of classic...

In classic the raid boss dps listing will usually be something like this:
    1) Charm pet (Enc / Nec) - 170
    2) Monk - 100
    3) Nec / Wiz - 90
    4) Mage - 80
    5) Shaman / Druid - 70
    6) Rogue / Ranger - 40
    7) Shadow Knight - 35
    8) Warrior - 30
    9) Paladin - 28
    10) Bard - 17
    11) Cleric (not dpsing) - 0
  6. Crayon123 Augur

Yeah, there is no way a ranger is pulling 40-50% of a Monk. Not gonna happen.
  7. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I mean you're not wrong, but this bow requires a 2% drop rate item from Eye of Veeshan. Probably can count on one hand how any will exist on Mangler before Kunark era.
  8. ShivanAngel Augur

Would be interested to see these parses...

I know a ranger with CoF bowing can do decent... didnt think they aproached much less surpassed monks
  9. Shakara Augur

Rangers can easily parse in the top 10 on boss fights in Classic. as mentioned a lot it will require you quest the spell Call of Flame as it is a hefty nuke with a very short cast time. HOWEVER, rangers have no way to drop aggro so if you are doing monk levels of damage you are generating a lot of hate so often monks and rogues can outparse a ranger because they have aggro management mechanics that rangers do not.
  10. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

EQ live forums lol.

Call of Flame

1: Decrease Hitpoints by 247
    Mana: 106
    Casting Time: 0.5
    Recast Time: 30 Recast Time: 30
  11. HoodenShuklak Augur

One of the great reasons to play Ranger in classic is not because they DPS well on raids, but because they are really good tanks in the group setting.

They hold excellent aggro and they wear banded, which is probably what the plate tanks wear too!

In classic, I would take a ranger over a warrior in a group all day long. Hell, on Agnarr it was only when desperate you took a warrior... or someone you knew.
  12. Ruhi Augur

Ranger dps in classic isn't completely terrible. You'll be a dt taker if you're raiding.
    Like others have stated: rangers are really good group tanks. flame lick is easy agro heaven.
  13. Weebles Augur

It really is amazing how much misinformation is dissiminated on these forums. And it’s always stated with so much conviction. And these poor players are making long term decisions off of it.
  14. Nicorus Elder

The people who think wizards are good dps in classic are the funniest. At least rangers can hit the bosses in sky for more than 0.
  15. Ruhi Augur

lol - outside of necro and druid dots in a limited capacity at lvl 50 - no class can land spells on sky bosses after island 3. like the logic though - equate an entire class's ability based 1 subset of raid content.
  16. Darkhain Elder

Most rangers are bad, they don't cast DD between auto-attack, and that makes all differences. Classic, ranger are top dps.
  17. sumnayin2 Augur

With Focus effects SKs with gear are easily top damage on a lot of raid bosses in classic...on Mangler this will drop a little. Rangers aren't 40%-50% of monks, it isn't that bad. Spell immune mobs obviously change things up. Like Mages can't land spells on most raid bosses up until Velious.
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

Not many classes get to kill their own guildies on raids though. It really is peak PVP season for the [] wizard in Classic.
  19. Yarteb Elder

Rangers are decent group tanks through Kunark at least. I've had many groups in Seb and Chardok with ranger tanks. Gear matters of course. Regarding that, we rotted a lot of ranger gear while farming Fear for other drops. There seemed to be a shortage of main toon rangers. We gave away what we could to any ranger who could get in zone in time.
  20. Shakara Augur

you do realize 90% of the rangers on the server will not have Windstriker in era right?
  21. HoodenShuklak Augur

I seriously think it has to be less than 10%.