Which Class to Play (Mangler)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Korzu111, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Minpire Augur

Very true but normally tons of warriors out there xD, lotsa Grouping before that Raid hits xD
  2. Iyvy Augur

Shaman snare sucks, and yes other classes can root. But Rangers are your tank. Not only can they root and snare, but when the rooted and snared mob breaks it should be running to the ranger, and if the ranger has aggro, he doesn't need to root/snare.

A wizard can snare/root, but they will have a bit more trouble than a ranger if they're being beat on, and their job isnt to take aggro.

Rangers have high utility for a tank.

Also necro and shaman snare are root breakers with short durations that cant be cast on pets or on mezzes. Necro and shaman snare are not snare.

Snare is a spell that can be cast on a CC'd mob and won't break mezzes and lasts several minutes.

I also only said two toons had low utility. Wizards (they do), and necros for others as in necros do not bring much to the table for other players (like buff wise).

A caster is supposed to bring more utility than a tank... obviously? The rangers job is to have mobs hit him!
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

In this morning's edition of Iyvy argues absurd points on the internet, we're featuring Darkness Spells are not Snare. This round table discussion will feature our intrepid hero, Iyvy, and literally nobody else because this topic is incredibly pointless.
    Grogak, Lakeland and Genoane like this.
  4. Iyvy Augur

They are one minute spells that break CC, they aren't the same utility as the 3-15 minute snare druids/rangers get. Obviously they snare the target, though shaman snare is mostly for stopping certain runners.

If you can't conceptualize that I don't know what to tell you.
  5. Toromir New Member

6. Stagentti Augur

Cleric first!

Easy to get groups and make money. Don't really have to buy any gear, you can get to 50 just off of what drops.

I am dumb and cannot even 2 box properly but on other TLPs I've made a druid alt and just been like "druid LFG with 50 cleric box for buffs/emergency heals/rez" and it works surprisingly well.

Tried doing the druid first a couple times and struggled for groups. Bad luck probably.

EDIT: druid alt for ports and like someone else said PL future alts.
  7. Korzu111 Elder

I’ve decided that I’m going to buy a laptop to start 2-boxing. I won’t be getting the laptop until, likely, we’re into Kunark, though. So now I really have to think about that.

When the new server begins, I’ll have that Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, to grind, but limited time afterwards and probably 10-15 hours a week on average afterwards. I’m leaning more toward Druid right now since it’ll be easy to level one up right away and, with trackin and ports, I’d probably have the best chance to get up in level to kill some rare spawns or farm some play by the time Tuesday rolls around. I think that if I went Necro, it’d take me a couple weeks to get to the point where I could camp something like a FBSS, at which point I wouldn’t be able to cause of how super-camped they’ll be by then. With a Druid, there is good PL potential later down the road.
  8. Stagentti Augur

Druid will also help you get groups once you get that 2nd laptop.

Park it outside to buff and people will love ya.
  9. SearingCorpse Lorekeeper

i think necro will have the highest dmg potential in groups because of the ability to charm undead, you can destroy lower guk, farming fbss/smr/ykeshas all day

necro hands down, dont forget to put all your points into sta or agi not int

if you plan to 2box in kunark, you might want to start a druid so you can powerlevel whatever you plan to 2box
  10. Presul New Member

Leveling a Druid, Enchanter, or Cleric first is a good strategy. Druid, on it's own, is the best PL class to help you level up other characters. They have a harder time finding groups though. Clerics are always needed and can get into groups fairly easily. They have nice buffs and are decent at power leveling. If you add in some other classes for stacking damage shields then clerics are amazing at PLing. Enchanters can do things out of group and are sought after all the time. That can allow you to fill in your weak class while your high level enchanter buffs/cc's for the group.

I think people's perception of rangers is incorrect. They are weak as they level, but not as weak as the stereotype. Rangers have spells they can use to make up for having crappy weapons. They are the best threat tank (Early expansions) with high utility as well. As long as you have a decent puller or you have good cc then you will only be tanking 1 mob at a time and rangers are more than capable of doing that. Ranger DPS isn't as bad as the stereo types either. If you play the Ranger class well you can hold your own against other DPS classes. A well played Ranger needs to track their DoT's, manage agro, know resist profiles of targets, and know when to and which nukes to cast. Lazy rangers give well played rangers the bad stereotype. If you want to just turn on auto attack and mash some buttons then a monk would be a much better choice.
  11. Grailer Augur

Well since I have 2 computers on my desk I might do druid first because people are going to want ports all over the place till and that's a good income plus they can power level alts .

Basically just level what you feel like playing . Enchanters are good if you like solo + group utility .

Mage is good , Melee classes are going to be tough do to needing gear .

At the end of the day you cant go wrong making a cleric .
    Crayon123 likes this.
  12. Crayon123 Augur

Druid is an awesome box to have but a horrible main to have if you want to get groups.

Really don't recommend it unless you have at least 2 PC's.
  13. Iyvy Augur

Druids are so criminally underrated, a good druid is as strong as a necro/enchanter if paired with an enchanter where they can charm. guk, solb, chardok, siren's grotto, druids are great in classic->velious, they're just a nub trap so a lot of baddies play them.
  14. EEpromm Lorekeeper

I second this and with their new dot package it's even more pronounced.

To anyone playing a druid remember to also keep your DS and resist magic, strength, skin, etc up on the tank and snare running mobs and if you're in lavastorm or the hole remember your anti-summoned spells are some extra great cheap dps.
  15. Grailer Augur

Been having second thoughts about Druid / Chanter

Cleric / Chanter is just too good .

So box 1 have : ( clarity + melee box )
    Enchanter
    Shadow Knight
    Monk
    Mage

Box 2: ( priest box )
    Cleric
    Druid
    Shaman
    Mage

Or something like that:

If only one box then the best choice is Mage
  16. Lakeland Lorekeeper

I tried this and sadly I just ended up being a poor mans Cleric because groups pick you up and first thing you hear is “you are
    Main healer now”. That over and over literally made me give up the shaman class.
  17. Lakeland Lorekeeper

People saying rangers can tank “well” probably never mained a Cleric I’m Classic. Rangers are a pain to keep alive. Yes if you have great CC they are fine, hell so is a talented Shaman, but overall when I’m the main healer I’m not happy to have a Ranger as a tank in Classic type EQ.
  18. xakanrn Augur

To me depends on which encounters tbh
    For dungeon crawls ,I found rangers fine and i am barely play cleric .
    Thats for classic though
  19. ShivanAngel Augur

In group settings you make clerics look like a 2nd rate healer.

If you canni properly, and keep up with slows there is no reason you cant easily heal a group. I can usually throw in some dps as well.

Honestly if you play any of the priest classes you should expect to be main healer quite often.
  20. Zansobar Augur

Does it really matter about putting pts into sta since everyone will race change in Kunark anyway and thise pts get reset then anyway?