Can we just get rid of Truebox by now?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Master Kahleem, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Ginix Augur

I have nothing against boxing. Truebox your heart away. When you allow people to alt-tab box lots of people don't just stop at three or four boxes though, they do 20+ and that's what turns most people off I think.

A non-truebox TLP would have to have an AoC for almost every zone. This way the casual non-cheaters don't have to deal with the cheaters that are constantly whining on these fourms for a non-truebox sever, all so they can hold the server hostage with their bot army on the quest to extort krono from pure non cheaters, like myself.
    Xhieron likes this.
  2. gladiatoreq Elder

Fix the code. I'm tired of DCing when hitting buttons too quickly on two separate PCs.
  3. Elyani Augur

I don't mind boxing on 4 separate machines. I'd rather box on one. It's a matter of convenience and my electricity bill. I find alt-tabbing between screens easier than fumbling with 4 machines on my desk. And don't get me started on me electricity bills from Agnarr. Lol.

You are making blanket assumptions about people who box. Typical, seems to be a widespread pandemic on these forums. Anyone that is gonna cheat is gonna cheat whether there is true box or not. Period. I do believe the majority of us don't care to cheat nor do we want to extort kronos from you. We'd just like the simplicity of a single computer.

Also, do you know how AoC's work? Why would there be an AoC for every zone when there is /pickzone? There isn't a raid mob in every zone, no need for an AoC in every zone.

What happened to you in your life to make you see so many demons in every corner of your room?
  4. Jadefox Augur

Well, Live does have FTP players.

--Jade pays to play
  5. Ginix Augur

PickZones can still cuck you big time. Have you even played a TLP Elyani, haha. AoC for every zone would 100% alllow people to do what they want in any given zone at anytime and not be annoyed with beta boys 20+ boxing.

Not a blanket assumption at all.

If you played any of the past non-truebox servers you'd of seen that there was LOTS of people 12+ boxing and that's a big turn off to people who only box 1-2 accounts. Especially when these players are sitting on extremely lucrative camps while a group of 6 real players are sitting at the zone in pissed because there isn't enough people in the zone to spin up a new pick.

PS: I smoked crack once so maybe thats what caused it idk.
    Xhieron likes this.
  6. Leifer Augur

I started EQ in Nov of '99 on the Bristlebane Server. I played one box, one account for the first 10 or so years. I guess I would have been considered "hardcore" for the first few years. I raided 5+ days a week and put in an additional 20+ hours of playtime above that. Over the years I have gradually took on more and more of my career and have a wife and children. My playtime has greatly diminished but I still love to play the game when I can. I probably get two hours a night for a few days a week and maybe two 4 hour sessions on the weekend. I obviously cannot raid anymore.

I have joined a few of these TLP servers over the years and I can make/join groups rather easily for the first couple of weeks, but after that, most of the lower-mid level zones just become desolate. It is also just about impossible to put together a PUG, move, setup, deal with AFK's and shuffle in and out those that have to leave, all within a two hour session at night. Putting together a group and having to leave it within such a short time frame does not equate to being "social." Quite the opposite - it is almost a PITA for anyone who has to join my group or lets me in a group for such a short period when I have to be replaced so quickly. Sure, I can join a guild and maybe find people to play with for awhile before they mostly out pace me. I can guild hop around and try to find others who are near my level and pace... but again, is that considered "social" behavior - to guild hop around?

I decided to join the other game - which is much easier to solo and/or find groups in such short order. But, I missed EQ - it has always been my first love and I always keep coming back to it. When Ragefire/Lockjaw came out I started playing again until I was outpaced by most people I got to know and found myself either LFG or putting together PUGS which lasted half an hour or so before I had to leave. I finally decided I would try adding a couple more accounts and playing 3 toons at once on my one PC. It allowed me to play at nights when I had limited time and it also allowed me to group on my main with others on the weekends when I had enough time to put together my own groups that I could keep for a few hours.

I know there must be many other people that feel they absolutely love the ability to be able to once in awhile box with one PC when they are short on time to group. I also don't feel like I am such a group hindrance having to AFK so often when I know there are nights when I may have to - so boxing is better for me. I know I don't like it when someone joins my group and is AFK every 10 minutes when I am trying to pull as fast as possible to maximize my play time, so I don't want to do that to others on nights I know I may have interruptions. I know there are box haters and I understand the reasons. I also know that true box servers still have many boxers and cheaters and those people will be there whether its a true box server or not - one way or another.

I suppose someone would tell me to go back to Lockjaw or Live if I want to box, but I guess I could just say to them to go back to one of the other true box servers. Many of us want to play on a new TLP server and I know there is a significant population of older players who feel a legitimate need to be able to box with one PC and who can also be Play Nice Players at the same time.

***Edited per The Hated One's request below. :)
    Elyani likes this.
  7. The Hated One Augur

I get what your saying Leifer. But if you want other people to get it you have to hit return every so often...that was a tough read for these old eyes =)
    Leifer likes this.
  8. SuinegFoH Lorekeeper

I see this brought up a lot but nobody ever thinks about how it would go with boxing. That start of the expansions when you do find people to play with? That won't happen. You will have turned a solution into a new problem.
  9. Rainlover Augur

I tend to agree that truebox should have a sunset at some xpac (likely SoD)
  10. Gorgol the Ogre Elder

This made me LOL IRL. Well done Master Kahleem, well done. ^_^
  11. jordune Augur

Selo needs to be a locked ip server that only allows one account
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

Funny guy.
  13. Elyani Augur

In other words, Selo needs to be a dead server? Because even without boxers, many people these days play with their spouses, kids, friends, siblings on the same IP? Sure bruh.
  14. Shiba Journeyman

I share your sentiment on being able to box 3-4 toons on one machine but people will just abuse the camps if true box is not enabled. I box 3-4 on different computers and it sucks having to multi task that many machines but it is a better option then allowing a 20 mage box army monopolize every cash camp.

The few will ruin for the many.
  15. sleka Lorekeeper

Seeing boxers use third party software to dumb down the game to 3 macro's is not good for the game. Complaints from these groups cycling through picks almost destroyed the game. That is where Truebox servers were born. Boxers had opportunity, they used their power for evil and not good.
  16. Elyani Augur

Certain boxers. But those same "certain" boxers have been doing this for eons. Plenty of those "certain" boxers are still doing it on Truebox servers. Again, everyone lumps all boxers as using 3rd party software. It's just not true.
  17. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Not all boxers are terrible.

Unfortunately if you want a non-truebox server we have to discuss those terrible boxers as they will come. It happened on RF & LJ to a serious degree.

If mass boxers were a small problem, they would have just gone AOC's and /picks only the new TLPs. But even with those 2 options everyone has to level in the open world and go into /picks. Without true-box unfortunately you'll see the 12 to 24 boxers on a regular basis.

I wouldn't wish RF & LJ in the early expansions on anyone wanting to play EQ. Perhaps later expansions that makes sense to allow regular boxing, but I don't have any experience with later expansions.
    Xhieron likes this.
  18. Umul Augur

Picks were invented after the first truebox server was released. Lol My gosh people.. The only server you could remotely be referencing is Ragefire, which did not have picks until Phinny was released. Your history is backwards sir. Also there was no 3rd party software on Phinny because the dude disabled it for that server. What server did you play on? I think you're making things up.
  19. Elyani Augur

There was. Originally people could use another place to compile it themselves. But, I think it got even harder for people to get after the Agnarr incidents, haha suckers. But, for the most part, there are very few people using those types of programs on the TLP servers overall. Which is a win. But it doesn't mean there is none. It just means those who cannot put together their own/edit it for patches etc aren't doing it. Which seriously cuts down on the amount of people who can/do use it.
  20. SuinegFoH Lorekeeper

I'm the one that turned that code base into the developers to get it locked down because it being rampant is a cancer on this game.