If there was another time/era locked top, what would be the best place to stop?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xeris, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Xeris Augur

As title says. I never played anything past ldon... I like a tlp that has an 'end ' so to speak. Velious lock with p99, pop lock with agnarr... I may enjoy another era locked tlp for the anniversary.

Sell me on an era!!
  2. Trevalon Augur

locked servers are a bad idea all around IMO but If I had to choose it would probably be OOW, but I don't have any experience past PoR.
  3. Protocol Dragon Defender

Live
    Zadune likes this.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Lock it on the server select and leave it there.
    Nolrog and HoodenShuklak like this.
  5. Mrjon3s Augur

None because by the end of OoW everyone was pretty geared out to the point where anguish was just gearing up boxes/alts. But if they really had to lock another server it should be at PoR. It would give people OoW, DoN, DoDH, and PoR 4 expansions.
    TimeBreak likes this.
  6. Febb Augur

A server locked at Ring of Scale, can't go back to previous expansions. You start out at level 1. Good luck!
  7. snailish Augur

I see the point but wonder if locking at OoW (or DoN I guess) and leaving the rest of the level 70 journey as something you do on other progression servers makes more sense. This is the range attrition has hit significantly on many prog servers (you lose many casuals at various spots before, this is where guilds fade away) so I don't see the "extra content" actually being a big sell.

TSS makes sense from a replay & restart perspective. But probably not if there is Agnarr at LDoN and another locked anywhere. We don't even know yet if Agnarr if viable into the lock. Kind of need to see that happen before planning or hoping for another lock.
  8. malaki Augur

Make it so you can only roll Troll as a race. Lock it at classic and only have Grobb and the Swamp enabled. If you try zoning to anywhere but Grobb from the swamp your character dies and you lose 5 days of all access time.
    Zadune likes this.
  9. Xeris Augur

Why do people consider era locked TLP bad? I feel like Agnarr was a big hit. If you're on a progression server that'll catch up to live, why not just play live? Agnarr seemed to scratch a particular itch of people who played EQ through PoP and then quit (like me) and wanted to re-experience that. I know that over the years I wasn't playing EQ I thought about it a few times and I'd google it and see people at lvl 90 or whatever and just wasn't interested in that level of catchup.

Agnarr started and ended where I did, as is the case of many people. So my main question is are there other eras of EQ that could have a similar effect ?
  10. a_librarian Augur

I assume there's a limited pool of players for the EQ progression servers and the more aggressively they push out new servers the less successful each new one may be.

Recent example of this pattern was the launch of Coirnav: it pissed off both Agnarr players since it was announced many months before their server had reached its prime nevermind it's actual lock date. It also pissed off Phinny players because it was a straight up clone of their server. The server has been successful but less populous than Agnarr from my experience with it.

I sort of expect the next server to be an Agnarr clone but I hope they try something new with the concept
  11. Elskidor Augur

There's not really a ton of options here that have not been taken by DBG or emulators. Most slowly die out after PoP because it's a different game back then. Go too much further and you as well have rolled on on live servers.
  12. snailish Augur

You can play personal progression on live servers, yes.

Getting a bunch of players to do it with you and leave the defiant alone.... harder. Defiant trivializes nearly all under level 75 content. Defiant currently appears to drop starting in TSS... basically making most of that expac obsolete at launch. Ironic as it is the only expac that revisits 1-70 leveling, and probably will remain thus.

Coirnav was too early to have higher population and the slow xp (rather than faster which would be appealling to more players) was also a deterrent. A Quarm event #2 (or even #1 rehashed as long as you could earn the reward both by raiding and the group tier) would likely of had higher population for 4 months.)

However, by next anny the bulk of the progression players on every server but Coirnav will be well into eras, into the Agnarr lock, or have already quit. It is a good time for the next one.

Hopefully the next one has high XP rate, launches with at least Kunark open (I prefer the Velious open at launch idea to spread out the population and allow different zone use for 1-50 levels).
    Zadune likes this.
  13. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I want a server that only unlocks when my wife and kids are out of town.
    Borune, HoodenShuklak and Nolrog like this.
  14. Hateseeker Augur

My favorite eras were probably back when either DoN/DoDH, or SoF/SoD were the latest expansion -
  15. Mrjon3s Augur

OoW when I played before the melee nerf was a joke expansion. I wanna say every guild with competent raid leaders was split raiding anguish it was that easy. MPG raid trials were a pain it was like trying to get people to go to LDoN raids. Anguish just had so much loot and when split by the time DoN came out every main had 2.0 orbs. Alts were getting 2.0 orbs and picking up regular loot.
  16. snailish Augur

From a locked point of view though, is OoW enough content for the family guild and more casual to work on? DoN probably fits just because it is so alt-applicable. No real point for the hardcore serious raider to stay on a locked server after all.

According to the forums everything TSS-prior has been a "joke" for difficulty so not sure that can factor in. Again, from a locked server perspective difficulty isn't the thing it is breadth of content that people want to do.

The more this gets talked about the more I think TSS is the only other lock that works. Agnarr could have been anything Kunark-LDoN but you can't do another under Agnarr. I just don't think there is the population interest to do so.
  17. taliefer Augur

I've always thought TSS would be a good stopping point for a server. alot of good raid content, but it doesnt totally obsolete all of the level 70 expansions. and TSS has a ton of relatively unused 1 to 75 leveling content that is actually pretty cool.

its also the expansion where "spreadsheet quest" starts to become a thing, but since it would be stopped there it wouldnt be so bad
    snailish likes this.
  18. snailish Augur

as long as defiant is not dropping in TSS.... otherwise most of the expac is obsolete at launch.

Not sure if this has been addressed/fixed yet. Even defiant dropping 1 expac after TSS solves it.
  19. Smakk Journeyman

The Buried Sea would be a good stopping point IMHO. Level 75 max, Solteris raid zone, tons of missions. The expac itself is right in the middle where EQ started, and where it is now.
    snailish and So Happy like this.
  20. Zadune Journeyman

Here's a crazy idea: A progression server where you race to the end of TBS and it has a new final boss. Two week unlocks, making it a six month event server. Instead of Solteris being the final raid, there's a new end-boss (Prexus the Oceanlord, maybe) that can -only be fought on that server- and is designed to be a postgame superboss. Since it's server-exclusive, you can't just log onto your 110 on live and go murder the event. That'd be a real draw to a lot of us.