Best class to start now Kunark is about to launch? (Coirnav)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Motrax, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Motrax Journeyman

What classes do you think benefit the most from being in Kunark era? I would like you guys to suggest one for me to level as since it's going to launch in a few days.

I don't mind buying a race respec to Iksar if you mention a race/class combo (I love Iksars.)

Must be able to solo well as I play offpeak and sometimes like to do my own thing. If I can solo well AND be useful in a group, that would be awesome.

Thoughts?
  2. Mwapo Augur

Enchanter or shadow knight. Going to struggle as a shadow knight without raid gear. But soloing sucks on TLPs. Group exp is where it's at.

Traditional solo classes aren't really that strong in groups due to the speed at which the group game goes nowadays. So I would go enchanter if you don't plan to get raid gear and shadow knight if you plan to raid.
  3. Febb Augur

Soloing is not worth the effort when you get in the upper levels. Do you want to play a dps class or a support class? If you don't care which then ask around on the server you want to play on which classes are lacking and play one of them.
  4. Skeetari Lorekeeper

I would suggest a shaman. Always useful in groups. Can solo if you want, or farm stuff. Not great at mass killing stuff but can take tougher named. Not sure about Coirnav, but from my experience on Agnarr and Phinny they will be sought after in raid guilds, for whatever reason there seems to be fewer of them available as time goes on.
  5. Celatus Augur

Enchanter or Necro
  6. Motrax Journeyman

Ok thanks guys. I am very interested in Monk, so I'll probably make a Shaman and a Monk
  7. Zinth Augur

/delete Coirnav
    /makechar Phinny <class> amazing fun in TSS
    monkypowah likes this.
  8. Risiko Augur

Iksar Shaman for the win.
  9. Zapsos Augur

A winning combo that if well geared can do most group content on their own really.
  10. Nuther Augur

Cleric or Pally.
  11. Raltar Augur

Shaman is always good going forward. Non-boxed shaman are pretty rare these days. At least, we seem to have trouble finding any on Ragefire. Ton of warriors, shadowknights and monks, though.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

Its a pretty bad time for pallies until luclin. In a duo they wouldnt be terrible. .. but eventually you just settle on sk most likely.
  13. Nuther Augur

Its not a bad time to be a Pally. They are the best group tank. Easy grouping all the way to 60 in Seb. Once Velious hits, you get all that sweet plate, then you get those sweet undead crits in Luclin. Then the server dies and you start over on the 20th anniversary.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

I'm confident most would say that the SK is far and away the best grouping tank.
  15. Nuther Augur

Most would be wrong. In my experience with a 60 & 65 cleric on modern TLP, a SK is a huge sack of meh. But it might be because people don't know how to tank with a Pally. Its smooth sailing; agro machine.
  16. Barathrum Augur

17. Accipiter Old Timer

Have you played an SK? I have not played a Pally so I can't do a direct comparison.
  18. Nuther Augur

I think the highest SK I ever played recently was 18. Originally, in 2000 I had a 24 TSK.

I have many more levels played as a Pally, highest being 46 last year. A Pally can take agro on anything with just 2 casts of Flash of Light. It will beat Flame Lick. They have stuns and also a root. A root will give agro to whoever is closest. Plus, they have heals to bail out other group members. Heal is, of course, an agro.

SK are more oriented towards damage. Of course their spells will cause agro. But, a Pally has so many useful tools. LOH is a huge taunt. I am using all these things now as I level a Pally thru Unrest.

CSB - I was pulling/tanking the FP today at 18 and the whole Bar came down on me when the Necro (our CC) was AFK. People began to sigh that sigh as they saw impending death. But, I turned into a heal turret while the group burned down the bar mobs one, by one. We won.
  19. Xhartor Augur

It seems like you don't have much experience playing an SK. Clinging Darkness is an awesome aggro spell, and shouldn't have any problem locking everything down with it. Asystole/Heart Flutter are also great aggro spells too.

The SK's DPS makes preferable as group tanks. Both SK's and Paladins have the lock down aggro that Warriors lack. However the SK is going to have a higher DPS, which helps with a faster kill rate.

They also have a fun tool box that just life in EQ easier (FD,Snare, Invis, IVU, bobbing corpse).
  20. snailish Augur

Paladin and rogue are the historically least-played classes. Though we don't have modern census data I suspect this remains true, since the neither make good passive boxes, and not many would level a paladin just as a buff bot (inflates the numbers of other classes).

Doesn't mean SK/War/Ranger are better tanks for grouping necessarily (we can have discussion around situational ideals...) but does likely mean that less players found the mechanics rewarding in the role(s) the class fills.

Starting fresh in Kunark with lousy gear anything Iksar is going to feel overpowered vs. the other options.