To the returning players - not all boxers are cheaters.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Nekromancy, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Nekromancy Elder

It seems this is going to come up with each surge of new returning players.

There is a disgust with boxers for some of these people. They automatically assume this person is cheating and will sit and harass them and tell them 5 times they are being recording and have fun being banned. Oh btw I'm recording and watching you use cheats.

These are people who need to make up a reason for themselves, to make it okay to harass people. These people think they are doing the game a favor or catching a cheater. All you are doing is harassing a real person.

I've had people get very personal. I didn't steal a camp. I didn't train anyone. Even when half of my boxes don't even move because they are soaking up exp, these people still seem to think they've got the perfect nose for catching cheaters. They shout.. wow instant on 6 toons, recorded. I manually press every hotkey and if they actually paid attention, They would see it's not even close to exactly the same time. You can clearly see the stagger from pressing 1 button at a time.

I don't care if you get mad at the Asian farmer sitting in solb. Go have your fit over the people training or KSing. But, how about we leave the boxers alone that are minding their own business and not doing anything wrong.

These people think they are right in what they are doing. All they are really doing is personally attacking a real person behind the computer.

Think before you start degrading someone purely because they are boxing 6+ toons. Have a real reason to be upset.

If you really think they are cheating, go ahead and record. But, it's uncessary to tell the person 5 times that you are reporting them fling insults and accusations at this person for no reason. Some people even get so delusional that they think it's okay to train someone just because they are boxing. It's not. Stop. Grow up. Think about the things you say to these people. Think about how your wife or child would think about you purposely going out of your way to make a single persons life terrible.

It has really disgusted me to see how gross people act when they are claiming to be good citizens.

I know lots of people here may not care and say get over it. But, it really does affect the person behind the computer when you have people going out of their way to make sure you have the worst EQ experience possible.
  2. A_New_Cleric Journeyman

Personally, I've not run into any bad experience with boxers. When I first came across one, yeah, I was upset, but then we started to talk. They are just players like me but they have a way to do things I can't (I don't have the money or tech savvy to hook up six pcs etc)

I do try to talk to a boxing group if they are fighting things I need, say, for a quest turn in, and I've been allowed to join one group as they boxer removed one of their characters for me.

But I do agree. If you think someone isn't doing things up to snuff, record and report, but don't harass.
    Nekromancy likes this.
  3. Nekromancy Elder

Thank you. And I've had many great experiences as a boxer. Most people who actually talk to me. I'll buff them. Give them plat for spells or items I have on me they can use. I'm pretty sure the lower level players have actually been very nice and always asking questions about how hard it is and how I do it. Real intrigue and I love that. It's the max level players that tend to get real excited when they see a boxer. Not sure if these people were failed detectives in real life and just want to try to redeem themselves. Not really sure lol.

Honestly I don't even wait for people to ask for buffs. I just see someone and throw cleric chanter and mage buffs on them for no reason. Everyone's been at the low levels with no gear or plat. I know how much doing something so tiny, giving buffs and plat, can drastically change a players mood.

I have people message me later and say they were having an awful day and wanted to thank me for making it so much better. These are the interactions I want. If only people would not instantly go into harassment mode.
  4. Piznut Angry Gnome

I've grouped with a couple of 1-2 boxers and was fine. I actually have a laptop and play two accounts.

The ones that annoy me are the full group of 6, with one leader and 5 on autofollow, with key binding, who all cast at the exact same time and do the exact same thing.

That, by rules is cheating (no tools to send keyboard commands to multiple characters with one keystroke), and it's annoying. Especially when one sweeps in on you while you're killing and just dominates the area...and there's nothing you can do in defense unless you want to create 5 more accounts and cheat too.

I usually just leave the area when I encounter them, but it doesn't make it any less annoying...and yes they are pretty frequent...I'd say I came across about 15-20 of them in the first couple of weeks on my journey from 1-45.
  5. Nekromancy Elder

I appreciate the reply and honesty.

So, I box more than 6. But, don't use any programs. I know there are some boxers where it is clear they are cheating. But, it's not even close to most. The people who consistently cast all the nukes at the same time are most likely cheaters. My nukes can look pretty fast when I'm trying, But anyone who actually watches me, I slow down and speed up depending on how physically or mentally exhausted I am. Sometimes I am like ugh and press 6 assist keys to the beat of my music. Sometimes I just press them as fast as possible. Sometimes I even nuke on 3 casters because those 3 have more mana than the others.

I can control everything about my setup. No automation and no sending keys to other computers. It's what I actually love about it most. I pick what each toon is doing. It's difficult at time, But it's very fun and actually a great exercise for the brain.

I'm willing to bet you'd think I was cheating at first glance. I also don't do those other things you are talking about. I wait my turn on camps because I just am not the type of person who wants to go run around ruining people's experiences.

On the other hand, when I do wait my turn and get a camp, its... oh great a stupid cheating boxer is RMTing whatever camp I'm at.

I can't even level alts without people assuming those toons are being sold online because they see an army of buffers and other toons.
    Kedra Leafwalker and Piznut like this.
  6. Green_Mage Augur

You know if you seriously aren't using any softwere -- its probably not that good for your health to be under that kind of pressure constantly. 3 characters is pretty hard true boxing...most couldnt do that for hours on end without letting 1 of those characters slide.

doing that 6...alll day....many days in a row....your just not going to sell me that there are more then MAYBE a handful of guys that even tried this. Let alone do it consistently. You should be a pro RTS gamer if you can do that.

And I'm talking like...perfect set up with those mini keyboards and great desks and all..

It's probably just broadcast or mechanical keyboards...lets be honest.
  7. JustPuttinThisHere Lorekeeper

I have to say I agree. I've noticed after some 3-boxing sessions (no software, not even trying to use my wireless numpad stations atm....just 3 keyboards, 3 mice, 3 screens) I feel like I got some kind of mental stress or something. It totally depends on what you do tho, and this is also why I believe if you're intent on leveling a box team at the same time you definitely have to factor other things such as ease of pulls and the general safety of an area into where you decide to level. It can also be frustrating sometimes because it feels like "this camp is really efficient....IF no one shows up and with stuff" because small mistakes can snowball into time consuming wipes. You can try to mitigate the element of randomness and protect yourself with certain measures, but we're playing an MMO and you're bound to get some interaction. Boxing efficiently usually means you're employing some sort of routine/strategy and repeating it, so randomness can be difficult to prepare for or show up when you're not able to react properly.

Back to the original vibe of the thread...I was leveling my three dudes in Kerra Ridge peacefully and away from people. I wanted to level up my mage's defense so I was just healing and letting him get hit....then this dude runs up to me with 12 mobs and wipes right on top of me. Never met him before or even spoke to him.

Yep, you're sometimes a target just because you're boxing.
  8. Nekromancy Elder

I understand how you think it's extremely hard. And yes, if you just walk up to my setup with no knowledge, you'll be clueless. But, when you play for years and your setup starts at 2 and goes to 3... 4... 5 and grows. You get used to it. You make perfect hotkeys and honestly boxing 6 toons at a camp is easier than 2boxing a chanter/cleric.

It's not as hard as people think. It's just a lot of preparation and practice. Just like guilds do for raids. I just enjoy having all of the control so I only have myself to blame even something goes wrong.

It might not be for everyone but it works for me and my schedule. Being able to log off and on at anytime without finding replacements or feeling bad leaving a group. Or playing at 2am when it's not easy to find groups. There's a lot of reasons I enjoy boxing. Honestly, there are so many lazy people in the game. I rather not group with someone who puts in 20% effort and expects to split the rewards equally. I'm not talking about who does more dps either. There is a large large large part of the eq population that does not want to contribute to their groups. If I can box a cleric and chanter better than someone is maining, they are the problem lol. Clerics who afk without saying anything. My cleric never goes afk without me knowing :)
    Ilshade and Starr like this.
  9. Nekromancy Elder

You are very on point for leveling. I did my crew in weird spots and weird camps. Using pick zones to clear the same camp 2 or 3 times. Example live side of guk. Not sure how it is Now, but while leveling there I would pick through all 7 picks and rarely would even 1 group be on the live side. I also try to stay near a zoneline while leveling.
  10. BigHurb New Member

6 accounts x 9.99/mo MINIMUM = ~60/70$ after taxes...
    6 computers running EQ classic ... could be free
    Internet connection ... could be free

Easily making your membership costs in Krono while being a golden GOD ... priceless

If you aint boxin ur doing it wrong i guess (i dont box)
  11. JustPuttinThisHere Lorekeeper

Word. I think even worse than consistent AFKers are DPS who seem to be consistently alt tabbed out or something. Sure, let the puller do a ton of work for hours while you're being a lazy group member and sending your pet in 10 seconds late on each pull.

It's kind of less fun to play knowing the people are just not paying attention during the game : / I see a lot of posts by people who say they don't like to group with boxers because they don't chat enough (presumption being that they're too busy with each screen), but in every group I have been in I have been the most social. I met quite a few quality folk while grouping through Guk, but a number of people who could have been a mercenary NPC and I couldn't have told the difference.
    Chatoyan and Nekromancy like this.
  12. Malice22 New Member

13. A_New_Cleric Journeyman

Yeah, 2 boxing is my limit. Mainly because even with that I can get a headache after just an hour (and I have macros to assist, no fancy software or other hardware besides the laptop and the mouse).

Kudos who can play more than 2 and still stay sane!
  14. Nekromancy Elder

It's like a drug and I cannot quit it! It's got a hold of me! Help help!

I love it so much though.

Also, still defend the fact that it is harder to 2box stuff than it is to 6box. If we scale what we are killing, sure 6box will require more work overall. But, I can get more done in less time and less effort than a 2box. More room for error and being lazy or slow. Get a few mage pets in there and it's hardly what I would call difficult or taxing to sit at 1 camp and demolish all the mobs in your way.

Boxing chanter/cleric and charm killing is way more taxing and stressful than what I box :)
    A_New_Cleric likes this.
  15. Bandzamakeherdance Elder

So a thread for boxers to stroke each other.
  16. Kronotowin Elder

Boxers ruin the game. Cheating or not it's just not the same experience. Daybreak should try a TLP with no boxing allowed.
  17. Green_Mage Augur

And as complicated as people try to make it...its that simple. Oh and the "impossible to enforce" myth is just that...a myth. Games have historically got rid of cheaters whenever they needed to.
  18. Denn RG Journeyman

Have to agree with OP. Some ppl like to hate boxers w/o single reason. But i have to admit it's gone for most part after LDoN launch.
    How can any boxer disturb to other ppl with almost all group content instanced? Not to mention that ppl dosnt understand that boxers consume 2+ kronos every month or pay $ for they accounts and by that support that game?
  19. BadBeans New Member

Don’t like boxers, never will, you won’t change my mind, so don’t bother trying to justify it. I wish DBG would make 1 server with no boxing whatsoever for the very few of us who don’t care for it. I know DBG needs boxers for the life support of the game, but still don’t like it. The cost of these games hasn’t gone up with inflation so Id rather see a higher monthly fee and no boxers, than a cheap $15 a month with tons of boxers.
  20. Piznut Angry Gnome

It might look like you were cheating at first glance, but honestly I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. THe only people I label "cheaters" are the ones whose character models are literally in sync they're casting so simultaneously.

I've seen screenshots of people setup with 1-2 PCs and 3-4 laptops around a desk. And honestly, to me...I would never do it (mostly because I can barely handle the stress of two boxing at times), but I don't see a problem with it. If someone wants to pay for 5-6 accounts and go through all that hassel, more power to them.

The only thing i'm sad about in that scenario is that my rogue isn't in the group gaining some of that sweet exp.