DEV: why did you nerf charm after 19 years??? :(

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by lichlord of agnarr, Mar 21, 2018.

1. lichlord of agnarr New Member

The experience of playing a chanter on TLP is totally ruined now. The nerf is so severe charm breaks every minute. The class used to be a joy to play, and now I simply cannot stand it. I feel like I wasted my time making this class. Can you comment on why you did it and if you feel the ninja nerf is properly tested? The rate of charm break is utterly absurd now. I'm going OOM chain casting allure charms just to keep a mob charmed. This isn't fun anymore. It's broken.

I quested the tashania spell. I'm using mage debuff. And the higher level I get the more charm keeps breaking, no matter what I do to debuff. The debuffs seem to have absolutely no effect on the spell anymore. Why do you ninja nerf things like this and not even tell us or put it in the patch notes. Could have saved me a week of my life wasted making this worthless class.
  2. Farore Journeyman

what are you talking about?
  3. Mwapo Augur

4. lichlord of agnarr New Member

if you guys have nothing constructive to say please move along. Every 45+ enchanter on Coirnav right now knows what I'm talking about. And the devs definitely know what I'm talking about.
  5. Farore Journeyman

@lich, your post is raging and not really helpful in any way. maybe you should ask other enchanters to chime in and vouch for your claims. I do have a 45+ enc and will have allure made today so will test myself and report back.
  6. Vashnoob Lorekeeper

im not 45 yet but i have heard reports of this, but no one has tested whether this means we need cha or they just nerfed it all together.
  7. C3lowz Augur

"Argh! I have bad luck with RNG charm breaks! I AM GOING TO CLAIM UNDOCUMENTED NERFS WITHOUT ANY ACTUAL PROOF!"
    Nickatropolis and jeskola like this.
  8. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

What are the odds a friendly player was keeping the pet dispelled, or a bard in the group kept ticking an invis song?
    Wowjustwow and Machentoo like this.
  9. Stagentti Augur

This was probably done in the same patch that gave certain guilds access to Coirnav 6 minutes before everyone else!

#tinfoilawards
    jeskola and Guzzle like this.
  10. Guzzle Augur

You need charisma, but the reality is it sounds like people have forgotten how charm actually operates - especially at low cha levels. With no AA's to help strengthen charm, you're gonna have a lot tougher time than on live. Charm has been historically unreliable early game, and leading to high risk high reward play.

Beyond that, even if you are unable to hold a charm, you still are more than able to contribute to a group without charm pet DPS.
  11. Ebine Augur

Back when EQ started charm broke for me all the time. It was never really good until PoP came and then next expansion the charmed pets dps was downgraded. Maybe you just got a bad mob to charm. They had magic resist at the top of the scale. How high above your own level are you trying to charm? I think ever few ticks it does a break charm check. Checks level of mob/magic resist/charisma. With Mage/enchanter you have magic resist covered. Now we just need to know level of mob and your charisma if you buy into the charisma bit. Not sure if it was ever proved. I think someone once did test and it mattered up to a point.
  12. Vashnoob Lorekeeper

On agnarr my enchanter from classic until present has only worn an ishva robe, tranix crown, djarn ring, stein of moggok and cone of mystics and never had issues charming. I dont even use the cha buff. It's been proven you didnt need cha just -mr for charm. Maybe now they have fixed that.
  13. Febb Augur

Allure was not changed in the last patch so nothing has changed with the spell itself.
    Nickatropolis and snailish like this.
  14. Farore Journeyman

it just seems very odd that it would only impact allure and not other ranks. never had any issues with previous charm spells on my current enc.

pardon if this is an insult, but I don't think dbg is sophisticated enough to target a specific charm spell. frankly it makes no sense to not hit the whole spell line. would be interested to see dbg devs chime in though.
  15. Vashnoob Lorekeeper

lich said cajoling whispers did it too. ive used beguile and charm without issue though.
  16. Febb Augur

They change individual spells all the time.

https://spells.eqresource.com/history.php?mdy=03142018

That is the spell diff showing all the changes to spells for this last patch. Allure is not one of them.
    snailish likes this.
  17. snailish Augur

Where are you charming and what do they /con?
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  18. Farore Journeyman

@febb, fair point.. another way to look at it, why only change 1 spell if charm is an issue, why not change them all.

again, no issues with cajoling whispers either. had full or near full duration most of the time. were some unlucky breaks a few times in a row but I had that on other tlps too. in other words, nothing remotely game breaking has happened.
  19. TheRealAtabishi Journeyman

cha is a bonus neg mr check. for example 200 cha is a bonus -20 mr
  20. Vashnoob Lorekeeper

interesting didnt know that was how it worked