TLP Necros

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Juzam Djinn, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Juzam Djinn Elder

Just curious to see how people feel about their TLP Necros . Any raiding / Solo Strats ?
    Any suggestions you can pass on to others? What is your spell line up or favorite place to solo?

Looking forward to seeing productive replies !
  2. Kobra Augur

I will try to answer your questions.

First thing I notice TLP necros mess up is their gear choice. I see a lot of guys get hard on for the Blighted robe, it sucks. Get the green silken drape from Sol B for the affliction haste. Other TLP necros in my guild would wonder why I out dps them by a large margin and this is one reason, other being my experience at the class. Get the burning affliction item from lguk also. There is a necklace with affliction efficiency from lguk also, make sure you get that.

Raiding strats - Learn what dots will land on which mobs and keep them up. Time them to refresh as soon as they fall off and lifetap in between. Learn to gauge the aggro of your tank, some can hold aggro with me full burning, some I have to FD after every few spells. Never under any regular scenario should you dump mana to clerics during the fight and NEVER dump a wizard, same for the guy who asks for DMF during the fight. If you have to, say ok its inc then ignore their request and keep dpsing. Ask the guild leader to teach the clerics how to interrupt a heal, if they insist, leave that guild they're garbage.

Solo strats - not really worth soloing to level, but if you are farming there are many solo strats you can employ. Open the toolbox and pick which one you need for the situation.

Group strats - Want to become a group god necro? Learn how to pull, dps, and cc. I will give you some hints. Pull mobs with screaming terror to split them up, once mob is in camp dot it and run to get next one. Never give your group a chance to afk, people will play better when you force them to. You have to be the pace setter.

Keybind - keybind your spells and abilities and build muscle memory for using them so you can proactively approach situations. Don't be like the level 40 necro who was in my group and died when he didn't FD, lifetap, snare, root, or do anything to save his own but he blames others for his own failing. Don't be this guy.

If you manage to make it to later expansions I can post more strategies, but if you can pull this off you can go from I think I know how to play classic EQ to people asking you to join the best groups.
  3. Boze TLP complaint factory

FWIW I usually get better XP kiting Yxtta primal area than I would in an average group on my necro on Phinny. As long as you can find an area where mobs are near your level and have relatively low HP, kiting is still super viable for XPing. I find that I need a highly above average DPS group for grouping to be better. As far as grouping goes I agree with Kobra. Necros have so many tools and can handle just about any situation. Get a good feel for your snare/root/mez/FD and you can do just about anything.

Tap-tanking is pretty viable solo strat for nameds that summon as well. Spam your best lifetap and mix in dots when you can. Root rot/kiting is your best bet for anything that doesn't summon.
  4. Kobra Augur

Solo becomes viable when they remove the exp restrictions I agree, but I assume he is talking about the new TLP server.
  5. Juzam Djinn Elder

I am actually on ragefire and going through GOD content. Was mostly looking to see how TLP Necros have been doing up until now. Has anyone perfected a dot rotation? Do you feel a part of raids/ groups etc.

Personally I think COD w/ a charmed pet is still the best aa xp . I can clear all the undead by the time lessons wears off. I dont group too much but do enjoy it when it happens.

From my prospective Raiding is ok: We are not top DPS ( usually finish 6- 10 Position) but have some ok utility. I am sure raids can run without us just fine.

What is Necro life past Gates? Do we become better dps? Does our utility become less important?
  6. Kobra Augur

After Gates our dps improves with 2.0, CoA robe clicky, and more spell gems. Monk dps will probably improve more though it is what it is. If I remember correctly there are fights in Anguish where you won't do jack for dps due to resists.

On raids in Gates I use the following dot rotation and regularly parse between 1-3 (depends on how many resists I get and I suppose whether I have a bard or not in my group) even beating monks and this is without using 7th veteran aa, if I used that I would blow them out. I don't know if our monks are bad but they like to brag about how good they are, its funny they never post the parse when I beat them though.

I start the fight with splurt even before assist is called. It does no aggro and it starts my damage rolling. I then throw on dark plague for similar reasons. Usually it won't stick, but if it does great. By this time the mob is usually fully debuffed then I follow up with horror, blood of thule, Funeral pyre (don't have night fire yet), then e-bolt, lastly I finish that rotation off with a scent to further debuff. Then I click my elemental pants. Then I switch spell sets to replace scent with lifetap, I do this whether scent lands or not. After that I spam lifetap while making sure I time my dots to land right as they wear off. If I had other dots that were worth casting I would swap out splurt and dark plague after casting them, but its just not worth it.

OoW opens up a few more spell slots with FD aa and a 9th gem so I will change things up further then.

I also make sure I run tribute for affliction haste, have all my dps aa maxed out. I only have plane of time robe too so if I had better focus that would help.
  7. Juzam Djinn Elder

I do almost the same. I start out w/ splurt and DP (b4 engage is called) then I switch to my DPS line up. I found doing shortest duration to longest duration allows me to weave in Life taps a little easier. I start with Horror Impracation ( now stacks w/ horror) ebolt, blood of thule, funeral pyre, Night Fire, in that order.. Spam tap and refresh dots as needed ( fd from time to time) The refresh of dots happens in order.

With this I feel maxed out DPS wise and I am trying to find just a tad more...
  8. Kobra Augur

I never spend global cooldowns on FD, I trust my tank. Make sure you run tribute for affliction haste is the only thing I didn't see you mention.

It sounds like you have more potential for dps than me since you have all your spells.
  9. Kobra Augur

Even if you play your best and still get outdpsed it doesn't really mean anything anyway. The game is broken on TLP, the classes aren't balanced so I play a necro because its the only class I enjoy. If I can outparse a monk or not I don't care. They are the fisher price Mongoloid dps class.
    Kalipto likes this.
  10. Juzam Djinn Elder

I do run the tribute, still want to fd tho not as much as older content but I think it is still needed
  11. Kobra Augur

It sounds like you have a handle on it and there really isn't anything else you can do. The classes just aren't balanced. The more dps your guild has the worse you will do too.

I don't think necro dps really competes until like VoA if I remember correctly, its been awhile.

If you want to top dps play a monk or a zerker, if you enjoy playing a necro then keep at it.

I know myself there have been many times I have thought about playing a wizard so I can press 2 or 3 buttons and get the same result as stacking 20+ dots. I have never heard anyone be impressed that we can do similar dps to another class with 10 times the effort.
  12. Kobra Augur

This is just some theory crafting I did and I won't be able to test it yet since I don't have the spells to but I believe this would maximize your total damage.

Start fight with Splurt and Dark Plague. Follow up with Horror, Blood of Thule, E-bolt, Night Fire, Funeral Pyre and then FD. Replace Splurt and DP with lifetap and imprecation then click your elemental pants if you have them. If you have wake the dead and other aa this would be a good time to get those off after you have the full stack of death rolling.

I would only cast Splurt and DP once per fight since you can land 3 imprecations in the time it takes for DP to do one full amount of dmg.

I don't have imprecation, but if it does more dmg per tick than one of the other spells then cast it before and swap out another spell. I didn't realize they made the change to E-bolt so I moved it further up in my rotation. I always like to cast the highest dps spells first regardless of duration. If I have two spells wearing off near each other I will prioritize the one with higher dps first.

I would be curious to know if this results in a higher total damage for you.
  13. Kobra Augur

One other trick I just remembered is the iksar skullcap. It is tricky to pull off but if you can time that to land right after the tanks engage you can squeak out some extra damage that way. You just have to be careful with the timing so you don't land as rampage tank.

I wouldn't cast it during the fight though unless I am out of mana.
  14. Juzam Djinn Elder

Well wanted to give it a few days and test some stuff out and I have to tell you I have tried everything. ( including the stuff you mentioned) There is nothing I can do to improve my DPS in GOD end game. I ran into a few problems. End game GOD targets die very fast and for some reason Necro pets are not showing up on parse. The are registering as PC ( might be from an older bug that made them Not undead )

It has been over two years since they announced Dot Revamps and nothing has been done. That just may be a good thing ( who knows)

I still enjoy my necro 100% But I am disappointed that I cant compete on DPS parses. Monks can solo named mobs just as good ( if not better than me) We still have the Feed me mana stigma
    (Most of the time I ignore the tells) and its starting to feel like the forgotten class.

I also play a necro on Live and it is much different. I like stacking 20+ dots and feel like I can compete a little better, that being said , I still feel like the forgotten class a bit.

As this game starts to decay a bit from age, this will probably happen to other classes Just have that feeling .

/rant off Just have fun while it lasts :)
    Kalipto and Kobra like this.
  15. Kobra Augur

I know that feeling and it sucks.
  16. Juzam Djinn Elder

Yes it does.... I miss My tlp Necro on Vulak things were a bit different and Necros seemed pretty damn good!

Maybe something good will happen soon , we will see......... :)
  17. Juzam Djinn Elder

Update: Was able to break 100k dmg by dropping ebolt ( resisted too much) running 5 dots spamming tap and using crit glyph finished 3rd Also had bard in grp
    Kobra likes this.
  18. Kobra Augur

Yeah, resists are what always kill my parse. I try to get shamans and druids to debuff and bard can also help too (with debuff), but most don't bother (probably due to them being boxes).

It just sucks that we have to spend more effort to get near the result of other classes.