How can you enter Vex thal?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lheo, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Lheo Augur

i got to the zone, killed a mob which droped "a palace key"...but i couldnt get past the first looked door the game tell me the door is looked and you are not holding the key even i put the key on my mouse ...
  2. Thancra Loladin

With a bard or rogue: there are 3 keys for some locked door but most will have to be lockpick.
  3. Ishtass Augur

Shrink illusion trick fix strikes again
    Fanra likes this.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Probably time to add in a general AA "Lockpicking" that starts at level 85 or something to allow non rogue/bards to go back and do some of this old content.

Now that we have hunter achievements for oldworld zones that do have named behind picklock required doors it makes more sense than ever. I'm struggling to even think of an occasion where pick lock is used past OoW.

Not sure how hard this would be to implement but since we have the Foraging AA already which functions in a similar manner I would assume it's not terribly difficult. As a rogue myself I wouldn't mind other classes getting access to the utility by now since it's usage is so incredibly niche.
    Ishtass, Axxius and Fanra like this.
  5. YellowBelly Augur

I agree the pick lock ability needs to be for every class. The recent quality of life improvements such as showing rare mobs and extra exp/faction prove the devs are at least thinking about these things.

Unless the tlp servers are once again holding back the live servers.
    Ishtass and Fanra like this.
  6. Khat_Nip Meow

...or they could just allow us to make actual use of the Archaeologist's Automated Antiquity Analyzer.
    This way you still have to make a little effort to get it rather than have a skill just given away.
    Ishtass and Brohg like this.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The other option is to allow the Ambleshift's Automated Archaeological Antiquity Analyzer to open any locked door.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried it on these locked doors?
    Brohg likes this.
  8. baider Elder

I can guarantee you the changes with locked doors has not effected the old zones at all. I have both a rogue and bard box and have yet to see a single named in vex thal up in 2 weeks and I check twice daily. I just want to finish twinking my level 52 rogue QQ

I havnt seen grieg up in probably 30+ checks, Ssra, especially the emp is on lockdown 24/7 as well.
  9. Pootle Elder

EXACTLY THIS.
    They gave everyone 'Forage' because (i presume) some people commented that some quests require a forage item and I guess it was difficult to find a forager to help or something.

Fully agree that the Archaeologist's Automated Antiquity Analyzer should unlock doors.
  10. Thancra Loladin

Some new progression quests required foraging no drop items, so you had to have the skill.

That's because the zone is kept down (by a bard, for AB). Those old world mobs you mention all have chase items people still want for their twinks (or for their main).
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

The AAAA should absolutely work in these scenarios. It is a shame it only worked as a gimmick in one zone.
  12. Pootle Elder

Yes but that's simply Terribad Quest design.
    If you are creating a quest for all classes, don't write it to include a class specific ability, then change the ability to be all classes. [make it a NoDrop ground spawn - simple]

If we are going by that logic, then i could say "there are areas of the game behind locked doors, which all classes would like to access. So we all have to have the skill."
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

Uh, sure, as long as you give tracking to every class, healing to every class, feign death to every class, and the list goes on.

I have a better idea...make friends with your neighborhood rogue. I, for one, have no problem running somewhere to help folks get into places that require a lockpick. And I do it for free. But that is the kind of person I am.
  14. Thancra Loladin

You don't "need" to go behind these locked doors but you "need" to do the progression to access some zones (raid, group) that were current content. That's not the same logic at all.
  15. Ishtass Augur

This is exactly the reason why we need to have it opened up. It's a dead mechanic, and you have clowns like this thinking that we should tote him around everywhere in our back pocket. If you think lockpicking is even close to healing, FD, and tracking, then you need to learn more about EQ.
  16. Sissruukk Rogue One

Sure, lockpicking may not be on par with everything else, but it is still a two-class specific skill. If you can't find a rogue or bard in your guild, or in gen chat to come open a darn door for you, then you just aren't trying very hard, or asking very nice. I trust that MOST PEOPLE WHO PLAY A ROGUE OR BARD will be more than happy and generous enough to come help you out, if you aren't acting you are in this post.
  17. Samatman Augur

You could replace "soul binders" for "lockpicking" and have the exact same argument. Pointless mechanic that prevented people from playing content. Not everyone plays on a server or at a time of day when there are throngs of "helpful" people willing to drop what they are doing for something that gains them nothing. Lockpicking is in fact 10x more difficult to overcome since you need someone to come to a specific door in a specific zone. I had trouble getting soul bound in normal cities early in the morning back in the day.

They removed one mechanical impediment in soul binding, and they need to remove this one as well.
    Fanra, svann and Ishtass like this.
  18. Ishtass Augur

Look, I don't want to be a jerk but this argument is asinine. I don't just need a door opened. I'm camping named in a zone that requires me to go back and forth, for hours. Do you really want to get to know me that well while we look for mobs?
    Fanra, svann, Phrovo1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. EnchFWO Augur

I would love to know what sunshine, unicorn, and rainbows version of EQ you play because if you think this is remotely the "norm" then I just can't even. I am fortunate that I have both Rogue and Bard alts that I can box to open doors. Most people don't. I would never ask someone to run around VT opening every other door for me for an hour just so I can get some checkmarks or old school items. It's just not practical in any sense and isn't fair to the lockpicker even if they are of upstanding moral conviction.

The only reason we are in this mess is because they decided to fix a workaround (yes, 17 years and I don't really consider that a bug anymore) for TLP while once again affecting everyone on Live. If they wanna go this route then make it optional: find a Bard/Rogue or do some quest for the key. Think of it like alternate PoP flagging. THAT would be a logical and fair solution.

Don't you find it odd that they stopped the practice of (lock pick) locked doors? Hmmm... maybe because they realized that restricting access to content was horrible game design.

Anyone recall which expac was the last to have a lock-pick locked door? Thinking it was around Luclin. :rolleyes:
    Ishtass, Fanra and Phrovo1 like this.
  20. svann Augur

Doors should not remain locked forever. After 3 expacs or 10000 picks the door should be permanently unlocked. Really, we are 50 levels above those locks. They should be melting just from our gaze. Or make the door breakable with 10x the hps of the highest boss of the expac.