So...how to DPS witha shamy?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Totonga, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Totonga New Member

Whats you spell lineup for groups for DPS?
  2. shruggz Elder

here's what I'm doing, and I'm curious if I could be doing differently better
    using aa malo , counterbias slow, (getting nice addition from languid bite) roar of the lion of course

for big mobs or to burn down adds quick, hit (dot crit) spire, fleeting, and epic click, throw out nuke, swifts, nectar of woe, and garangu (or whatever it is higher damage curse dot), by then its time to refresh swifts and nuke is up. basically refreshing swifts and nuking when its up, throwing out banestrike when available and I'm not doing something else. very seldom ever have to refresh nectar or garangu but will if runs full course. and meleeing for proc heals and roar procs.

ive stopped using the combo dots due to mana consumption in a general group setting. and how fast the mobs die, though if I thought they would run full course I would load em situationally.

this seems to be working pretty well but ive not bothered to parse anything. the proof of it being better than what I was doing is in how fast the mobs melt.

and I just realized yesterday that I had neglected all dot and nuke focus aa, on the focus tab so I'm working on fixing that situation which is only going to help.

hope this helps
  3. shruggz Elder

oh, forgot to mention, this is just normal situation, in which I have to devote a portion of my time to heals
    and such. if I didn't have to heal at all or just seldom I would throw a another dot or two in the mix.
  4. Totonga New Member

Thanks for the answer! What nuke are you using?
  5. shruggz Elder

using the fast cast what is it reefcrawlers bite I think, also if I think I have time to pull it off I use the nuke that nukes your target's target and increases your next several heals
  6. Vindicate Elder

Lead with Malo on everything!!!! This isn't just for your benefit! Get used to it, DO IT!

Melee 100% of the time and keep lion up. Use swift dots and fast nuke if mobs die in 15 sec. Use combined dots, and 2-3 other dots and fast nukes, if they're dying in 45 sec. Press the damage! Use all of your damage sources, pets, proc pets, dots, nukes, max languid bite AA and slow things, max pet aa, MALO = DPS, MELEE! Get used to using them all 100% of the time, you still have time to heal! Literally takes me about 9-12 seconds to use up 9-12 debuff slots on a mob. In that time my weapon has procced for group heal and dmg, my lion has procced, my nukes and dots have procced additional group heals and damage, pets have procced off nukes and dots, pet is proccing its own things, dots are ticking nukes are pounding and my double attack skill is going up! Its a savage crazy mess!!!! RAR!

Casting order is important on super fast fights cycle AA / spell / AA / spell / AA / spell etc
    like so!.....
    AA malo / swift poison / AA slow / swift disease / Fast Nuke. you save seconds of global cooldown just by using your global cooldown time to cast an AA ability.
    Melee for shaman is very good dps on fast fights, give your lion time to proc! It cant proc if you're not in melee combat and or casting. allow time to melee.

If there are frequently multiple mobs, frequently dot multiple mobs! You will not get top dps on every mob, (you probably will get top dps over an hours time <--- That is the most important # for bragging rights, if you're into that kinda thing) What one guy did to a mob in 15 seconds is a stupid accident that should never be talked about or linked in a parse! And if you ever have any worry about what someone else is doing for dps, boot that stupid thought out of your mind. Do what you can do and get good at it. Don't rely on other peoples parses for your testing!!! They're only showing you their best side and your worst! If a parse linked isn't over 90+ seconds its completely worthless. Literally no valuable information could be taken from it at all, outside of who the biggest jerk in the group is.

I pretty much only use group heals, and keep one single target memmed. NEVER worry about saving mana, don't cradle your mana, and you'll do great dps. Heals cost nothing, unless you're twin casting non stop. That counterbias heal is not going to save anybody!!!! I don't care what it stacks with! Shear of Renewal is not for fast fights! And unless the tank is wary, you'll probably end up with unexpected agro a few times. It is for regenerative healing, basically if an AoE hits your raid group and a member is out of range for a few seconds. Its awesome to preclick and have actively going. Its used to slow down the damage so you have time to cast a heal on someone in a heavy aoe situation. Or if you just have time to keep it up. It is NOT used to keep your tank alive in normal group situations, and a waste of a spell slot. Like counterbias! Do not rely on something that happens every 6 seconds to keep a tank alive, a lot of really bad things can happen in 6 seconds.

Or go solo and do this on a saturday afternoon for a few hours.

About an hour of play time
    Combined: A Syldon enforcer in 2844s, 512424k @180177sdps --- #1 Catisha 512424k@180177sdps (180177dps in 2844s) [100%]

Or about 3 hours of play time, on the Test server. This got my rogue from level 95 to 105.
    Combined: A Syldon enforcer in 9562s, 1564857k @163654sdps --- #1 Catisha + pets 1485267k@155330sdps (155330dps in 9562s) [94.92%]

Over 1.4 billion damage served, yaaay!

Come play with us on Test! Raid with PB! Its only once a week, Saturday 6pm EST. We've got good leaders and a healthy appetite for fun!

Oh boy this post got long fast :<
    Tucoh likes this.
  7. shruggz Elder

I for the most part agree with everything Vindicate said, there is one point though that I disagree on
    but that's only due to my situation, I run 3 toons and use no programs and window button out, select from the bottom which toon to be on next.

If I were on the Shaman all the time I think I could do without counterbias, however I am not.
    and any healing I can add from my shaman while I am positioning the bard, or starting the mage's attack rotation, or hitting his pet aa's or whatever is good

not to mention that counterbias stacks with all the other maybe dozen or so situational hots.
    buffs. aa's, clickies, procs and whatever else. equates to fairly substancial healing

it allows me the time to do what I need to do then bounce back to the shaman. and refresh dots or whatever.
    I'm at the point now where I'm not as concerned about dps numbers, I without question can kill mobs on the shaman and when things go pear shaped, the shaman is the one that's gonna save the group
    either by healing through, rooting adds, or flat burning down whatever needs to die. usually a combination of those.

the spell set I use most consists of
    glacial gift, reckless regeneration, krasir's recourse, historians intervention, shear of renewal,
    regenerating counterbias, sephyr's malady, serpantile venom, nectar of woe, roar of lion,
    reefmaw's bite, garugaru.

if I were to drop counterbias and shear, what would you recommend I replace them with?
    and does anyone else use glacial gift?

I could save a lot of tab time if I could run in windowed mode however I get too much lag in windowed
    and its not playable that way. and I enjoy the game to much to run the risk of running any type of assist software.

thanks for reading, and the advice.
  8. Brohg Augur

The two good heal spells you're not already using are the 100reckless and Spiritual Swell; but I'm with you on the quality of Counterbias. I don't run long dots (nectar, garugaru) hardly ever in groups, mobs just don't last.
  9. Vindicate Elder

I use gift mainly for raid healing or if its a namer fight that I know is just gonna pound all over the tank. Outside of that there really isn't a whole lot in group content that needs it, most of it would get overhealed. I'd keep it up on the bar if I was main healer.

Use Spiritual Swell a lot, its about 6 seconds of 3 waves of AoE healing that can be twincasted. Keep Ancient Alliance on your tank if you have any other healer in group.
  10. Pani Augur

I thought Ancient Alliance wasn't useful in group situations? Thought I read something about not enough heals are cast to make it proc or something like that?
  11. Gundolin Augur

I'd agree with Pani on this one. There are situations where having Ancient Alliance up in a group encounter makes sense but they are situational and usually just a nice to have, not a must.
  12. Brohg Augur

The fulmination on healing alliances is very much not the point of them. Never reaching it isn't a bad thing.
  13. shruggz Elder

just thought I would share this, I thought maybe I would switch out shear for spiritual swell,
    so I did a little testing.

to clarify I do have all 14 rks of aa for shear, and I do not have any of the 4 rks for swell but what I found out kinda surprised me.

in a non combat situation, (so I didn't have to wade through the spam) I just used canni to damage self for 70k my first cast of shear came out like this
    1. 16962
    2 16962
    3. 16962
    4. 12974 (max hp)
    5. lost to full hp
    6. lost to full hp

my first cast of swell came out like this
    1. 13405
    2. 13968
    3. 28099

so the total for shear shown if the other 2 ticks did not crit would have come out to 84,810
    in total healed and could have been as much as 102,772 if they did crit

the total for swell came out to be 55,205 and if all 3 would have critted it would likely have come out around 86,297

I ran the same test 2 more times and while the results were a little closer, but for total healed
    shear won out 3 of 3 times.

then throw in the possibility of triggering luminary's synergy with shear, I think shear is gonna stay on my spellbar.
    I do have a heal set where I drop my 2 long dots and add swell and the other single target heal
    but for regular group stuff I will keep shear.
  14. Brohg Augur

No it didn't.
    It came out like this :

4. 16962
    10. THEN 16962
    16. THEN 16962
    22. THEN 12974 (max hp)

renumbered the same, to better reflect reality:
    1. 13405
    3. 13968
    5. 28099
    Chaosflux likes this.
  15. Vindicate Elder

I'm not exactly sure what you where testing, but if you wanted to see which one got you to full health first, keep casting both till you get to full health and time it. Swell wins by far. Recast is only 10 seconds, and you can twin cast it.
  16. Ghubuk Augur

Are the shaman swift dots able to crit or be affected by fleeting?
  17. shruggz Elder

@ Brohg, thank you for the clarification sir, I was mistakenly thinking that swell would finish about the same time as the third tick of swell, now I see that was wrong,

@ Vindicate, I was just looking at total healed by each spell, without the 4 rks of focus tab aa for swell
    it never did bring me back to full hp, guess I will have to get those quickly as well.

@Ghubuk, I am certain the swifts will crit, and fairly certain they are also affected by fleeting
    though if I am mistaken in that I hope that the more knowledgeable shaman in this thread will correct me.
  18. Raptorjesus5 Augur

This thread was interesting to read. I've kept shear on my spell bar for who knows how long and for the most part all I ever end up casting it is out of combat before a named. Think it's time to remove it.

I also never use counterbias, too slow to cast and by the time it's up mobs are already dead. Also the AA slow has two separate debuff components.

For the most part I just spam Krasir's Mending and use Recourse for 'oh ' moments or sometimes just when I have the free spell. Keep roar of the lion up, and melee if nothing else is going on. Rarely cast dots in groups. My melee + pet melee with roar going is pretty good.

My one question is about the Sluggishness spell, is this worth casting on the tank? I tend to keep it up but feel kinda meh about it.
  19. Brohg Augur

Krasir's Mending is slow, which is just another way of saying "krasir's mending is awful". In its cast time, you could instead do a Recourse or Intervention or Reckless, all bigger heals on top of being so much faster, plus some whole other spell.

Sluggishness is only useful for a slow if you're not slowing, and only useful for a hot if you're not Counterbiasing. So for me, not useful at all unless I anticipate a very large pull.
  20. shruggz Elder

I have noticed with sluggishness you get a slow icon, then when you counterbias or cast another slow you get another slow icon. are these stacking giving a double slow?

Like Brohg I don't keep it going all the time but do have a social set up to target tank, mem spell, cast spell, mem normal running spell set,

I find it useful when pulling multiples, and sometimes for a named If I have the chance to cast it