Brewing 301+

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gillette, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Gillette Lorekeeper

Has anyone managed to get their brewing to advance beyond 300? If so what did it take?

I currently have 5 ranks in Brewing Mastery (which would allow me to get to 310). I am still at 300. I have 148 recipes listed on EQTraders/ZAM left to complete and 307 completed recipes (above trival levels). If it were to magically start increasing and increased a point every 4 new learned recipes, that would only get me to 337 ....

It looks like it's either got bugged or behaving differently than the other trade skills post 300.
  2. Zamiam Augur

AA's on the general tab .. ranks 4-13 allow you to increase your skill past its specialization by 5 points per rank by learning more receipes

blacksmithing mastery 0/13
    tailoring mastery 0/13
    fletching mastery 0/13
    pottery mastery 0/13
    jewel crafting mastery 0/13
    fishing mastery 0/13
    brewing mastery 0/13

this is on a toon i have no TS on .. ranks 1-3 reduce chance of failing combines 10, 25, 50% and 4-13 is mentioned above ..
  3. smash Augur

How do you check the recipes you have, compared to the Things on eq traders and such, manually ?
  4. Gillette Lorekeeper

I did the comparison manually. I created an excel spreadsheet and combined the lists from EQTraders and ZAM. Then I went to a brew barrel and did searches in small trival ranges to get the list of recipes that I already knew.

I know this doesn't create a perfect list but something is up when you can have well above 50% of the recipes learned and are still at the base 300.
  5. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Do be sure to buy and scribe ALL trade skill books that can scribe to learn recipes. These recipes won't count as much to gain skill 301+ but don't go using mats for a bunch of recipes that won't move skill as much.

I didn't know many recipes for brewing past the scribe-able ones on Beta and had a 305 skill. So you have certainly not learned all recipes from those books. All these books now tell you whether or not you have scribed them.
  6. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Oh and you can find these books on the master trade skill vendors at small bank in and at the main entrance to the Library in PoK. There are some books I believe you must go to the starting zone for a given expansion - I believe it was necessary to go TDS Katta, Shard's Landing and Argath - some books were not in PoK.

Tips for Brewing and Baking as I learned all recipes from these two skills From Underfoot through TDS. Once you have scribed all TDS books there wasn't a recipe I didn't know according to EQTraders. I think this is true of all trade skills in regards to TDS only. For Baking a Brewing, many similar recipes using a certain expacs Essence drop will need to be learned by making them once. You need to learn all the best recipes for the two skills but will learn a ton of recipes. I personally chose these two skills to learn first because I make stat food and drink the most - I chose the expacs to learn from because I knew I had stacks of all the expensive drops. Do make a stack of all the sauces - grilling, barbecue, etc - there's 9 of them the sauces - they are 9 brewing recipes to learn doing once. You will need them - you need to learn the basic prepared food + sauce for all the above mentioned expacs (sans TDS). Thank god what you use that prepared food is all learned from a scribe book. Do get a stack of Berries, Fruit, Taelosian tea leaves and Cinnamon Sticks . Make a stack of soda water, Quinine and Vodka.
  7. Gillette Lorekeeper

You assumed I had not scribed those books already. You are incorrect. The books you mentioned are all scribed already (I double checked after your post also.) Also skilling up beyond 300 is based on the number of recipes you have learned that meet a specific set of criteria (posted by a dev on the beta forums). What are basing your idea that a recipe scribed from a book counts less than a traditional combine learned recipe does? While not expressly stated, the dev post in beta implies it's simply a quantity of learned recipes. So a book learned recipe should be as good as a combined learned recipe. (Obviously, using the books is a better choice than manually doing them.)

I'm already at 244 baking and have a clear understanding of how to get 248-249 (I just haven't farmed all the ingredients yet). The last point or two are still a bit dicey. So its not like I haven't gone through the process for another tradeskill. It's just brewing is acting quirky for some reason. It a bit unexpected to have a large portion of the learnable recipes already completed and still be at 300.

What I'm looking for is confirmation from someone on a LIVE sever that has brewing above 300, how many ranks of brewing mastery they have, and approximately how many recipes they had to learn to get that first point (301).

PS: Jhenna is correct on the preping sauces for baking. Make a stack of each ahead of time. Also don't forget the dried versions of each meat type. Also watch for items that have multiple ways to make them. Ice Creams have two methods of creation as do a lot of old world steaks.
  8. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

i was gobsmacked to find that i only had 300/305 when i advanced my aa. if/when i get it moving, i'll let you know my experience.
  9. Eanelder Augur

I'll reiterate my belief that tradeskill skillup values should just be shared with the community and most certainly should have during beta. As it stands now we have no idea if it's even possible to reach 350 in any, let alone all, tradeskills.

When I saw that I didn't even have 1 skill up in Brewing i figured there was something wrong with that skill's values.
    Yinla likes this.
  10. Hickers Elder

First off, I can confirm that, for Jewelcraft at least, it is possible to get to 350 skill, as I achieved this a few days ago (Zehhn, 105 monk on BB).

Similar to Gillette's experience with baking, it took me learning pretty much every recipe on EQT to get to 350. In fact, I probably learned more than appears on EQT's JC quick trivial list, as I discovered about 60 recipes not listed. It took about 3 or 4 weeks of effort, and considering after glancing at list after list on EQT, that Jewelcraft seemed one of the simpler skills to try and learn recipes for, my enthusiasm for working on any other skill has been completely killed. Especially as all that effort and AA spent gained me a grand total of 2ac on my Artisan's Prize.

To get back to the OP though. During my time on Beta, even after buying all the tradeskill AA's, I noticed that my brewing skill would not raise above 300. This was after buying and scribing every single TS book I could find. My other 8 tradeskills all gained at least a few points. Searches in a brew barrel showed I know at least 400 recipes, so this lead me to believe that the formula for Brewing above 300 skill was somehow broken.

If anyone can confirm from Live that they have moved higher than 300 skill, this would be useful.
    Gillette likes this.
  11. Natal Augur

Or that there are a whole lot of recipes that people have not discovered yet.
  12. Hickers Elder

Maybe in the old days, when people had to figure quests and stuff out for themselves, recipes were missed. In more recent expansions, the recipes are laid out in books, or even scribe-able. Probably because Devs don't want to go to all the effort of creating recipes only for no one to ever find them. Plus with data mining people know about new items very quickly. So I would be very surprised if there was any significant number of unknown recipes out there. I may be wrong though.
  13. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

The expac has been out for 12 days. People aren't training the AA's yet by and large. Honestly, come back in a month or so for "non BETA" info...
  14. Hickers Elder

Working Baking to 350 seems even more masochistic than JC. All those Coarse Salt, all those Ice of Velious....(don't get me started on Nest Dragon Meat)
  15. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

There is zero doubt in my mind Baking has the most recipes, period to learn. It's grueling lol
  16. Gillette Lorekeeper

For baking, its looking like its 14-15 combines per point (that is from 241-244 range).
    I had 340 baking to start with so I can only give numbers for skill ups for 341+. Here is what I've found so far.
    341->342 = 14 combines
    342->343 = 14-15 combines (I am not sure if the new trades kill baking recipe counted or not. If someone can confirm if you can create them before scribing the book, this can be firmed up.)
    343->344 = 14-15 combines (This depends if the 15 lb cragbeast meat counted or not. They are 16 trivial, but I'm not sure if they are no fail or not. If they are no-fail then 14 combines for the skill up.)

It's looking like those Dragon Meat Recipes are going to be required to max out baking ... or other unknown recipes discovered to replace them. I've been trying various old school recipes for pickles, steaks, etc. already with no luck.
  17. Hickers Elder

So to get to 344 baking I'm assuming you've done:

All sizes of tuna/crab/cragbeast/hynid meats
    All meats in the 9? sauces + dried
    All omelettes/ranger omelettes (except nest dragon)
    All ice cream varieties twice using ice and ice of velious

If so, then I would agree that it looks like you've basically got to learn every damn recipe there is to get to 350 skill.

Surely this needs looking at and tuning by the devs? I'm all for a challenge, but this is horrible. Think about fletching. Some of those arrow ingredients are horribly rare, and there are hundreds of variations on each arrow. It would take weeks, maybe months of farming.

And what do we get to use our hard won skills for? Zip. Nada. Nothing new to make this xpac. Unless you count the Praetor Denik ornament, which no one wants because the colour is horrible, so all you're doing is ruining a Lcea Katta ornament.
  18. Drewie Augur

So, did anyone actually reach 301+ Brewing or is this bugged ? I did many tradeskill combines throughout the years and I'm still at 300/310. In the meantine I went from 306 to 310 Baking during the last days by learning new Baking recipes, which also included learning some new Brewing recipes for subcombines.
  19. Aanuvane Augur

An interesting thing - Most if not all of the nest dragon recipes appeared in an oven for me and I KNOW for sure I've never made them before. Can't explain why....
  20. Orbital101 Augur

300/305 with 15 years of brewing behind me.