NEC vs BST (Phinny)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jzendo, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Banecrow Elder

Depends on weapons you are using, but at lv 51 I am using the lv 46 pet. It quads for up to 50 damage, and has a 112pt dd proc that goes off kind of regularly.
  2. Dral Elder

Have BST pets been added to the MotOW along with mage and nec pets?
  3. Banecrow Elder

No
  4. Belfort New Member

How long is a piece of string?

The class has only been available on the server for a bit over a week, only a handful on the server are max level and probably haven't had a change to loot more than a few raid items. Compared to Necro's (and every other dps class) that had 4 1/2 months to gear up in Velious and up to a week extra to grind aa.

Kinda oranges and apples atm.
  5. Ryanxp Augur

Uhhhh. Uh-huh. Like what?
    A necro can charm undead and slow. And a necro can mez. What "utility" is this you speak of?

A necro is a solid class. Casters dont need gear, thus their spells max around medium to high-end geared dps. Take most any dps that isnt geared and a necro should over-power their output.

You guys on Phinny are still at 65, yes?
    Lv.60: 80 lifeleech, 360 fire-based
    Lv.61: 250 dis-based; 2500 nuke
    Lv.62: 205 lifeleech
    Lv.63: 628 mag-based
    Lv.64:
    Lv.65: 448 poi-based, 335 fire-based, 220 lifeleech

I'm sick of people like you who spout a necro should be caged into a solo- mentality. Especially on a TLP server like Phinny! Any class is a good addition and there should be no one turned away.
    You might as well suggest no priest classes in groups because their dps is null, if not very near that.
  6. Belfort New Member

So mind wrack is 300 mana returned with a one minute recast?

So that's 5 mana per tick assuming the Necro remembers to cast it every minute.

Spiritual Purity is 7 mana 7 hp per tick and lasts over an hour.

Necro 70% slow (undead only) vs Bst 50% slow (65% in PoP) that works on anything that's slowable.

A Mez that caps at 55? so isn't usable in a lot of max level situations.

As others have said, on fights that last less than 30-60 seconds a Bst should easily sustain a higher dps than an equivalent Necro. Raids, longer fights (2 mins or more) or places where the Nec can charm are obviously a different kettle of fish.

Necros are the superior soloists in my opinion though, they have a much larger toolkit to work with.
  7. Ryanxp Augur

Wizard
    60: 2000, 1796, 1150, 882, 1800, 1260, 1076, 2000, 2000
    61: 1000, 1090, 1106
    62: 1090, 980
    63: 980, 2350
    64: 2460, 980, 645
    65: 3288, 3015, 1078, 2740, 1106, 2400

Mind you, this is when they can cast without aggro
  8. Tinytinker Augur

I found myself stuck in a group with a necro tonight. It was not worth burning potions, the rate at which we were killing mobs sucked. We all agreed it was annoying. As soon as the group leader left, I took over. We said we were breaking up, reformed the group without the necro, subbed in a monk, and all was good. I feel bad about doing this, but there's no nice way, you know, to tell someone their class is slowing the group down and you'd rather not have them around. ^^;

Necros are great in raids and in specific missions, but in fast killing exp groups, they are not at all useful. And I wasn't the only person who thought that. Other people agreed with me.
  9. Ryanxp Augur

628 damage with 5 ticks = 3125 (30 sec)
    448 damage with 7 ticks = 3136 (42 sec)
    335 damage with 9 ticks = 3015 (54 sec)

That's slightly over 9k damage and that's solid dps.
    I'd like to clarify what all other classes are dishing out (when I have a 52 bard on Lockjaw not even doing 100 damage per hit; when each hit lands)
  10. Ryanxp Augur

Tinytinker, Great way to turn a game into a fashion show.
  11. Tinytinker Augur

If I had more play time, maybe I would be more tolerant of having necros in my groups. Unfortunately, I don't, so when I log on, I want my groups to be efficient. Having necros slow my exp down when potions are running is very irritating. /shrugs Time is money.
  12. Thewiz Augur

Posting in a stealth "Don't nerf the necro" thread.
  13. snailish Augur

I would highly encourage necros that want to group to be in a guild. I've played a lot of necro 1-77 on different servers including several TLP. Unless you want to form up a lot of PuG groups (generally the cure for anyone having issues finding a group) there are some class disadvantages:

1. other players mindset about the necro class
    2. as said, if the group is killing mobs in less than 30 seconds a necro standing in the camp doesn't offer as much as _____________ option. But... if the group is that good why not send the necro out as a second puller? [Sure the necro might be out of range for the odd kill, but the necro can bring back several mobs and park them. In this era, such a group with a chanter can line up more mobs to kill so that at some point the necro should have to actually hold pulls for a minute]

On recent progression, necros also suffer from:
    1. necro mindset that is generally so solo-focused
    2. global xp situations that negate the "I can solo yellow & red cons" efficiency of live servers
    3. an unwillingness to form up non-traditional groups in outdoor zones [if everyone insists on leveling in the same 3 dungeons, certain group makeups are going to be the ideal]... with the way xp is set, 3 necros soloing in Scarlett Desert would get more XP kiting (or root rotting or...) together than soloing, especially if they added in the ranger(s) or whomever lfg (though warriors and monks, etc. not as useful in this kind of group).
  14. Tinytinker Augur

I wouldn't allow a necro to be a puller in my groups. Not unless the necro absolutely knew what they were doing. I tried it in the past and got burned by a necro who brought in too many mobs and dotted them up. The enchanter couldn't mes the mobs, because they were dotted. The situation turned into a mess and I ended up low mana healing through it. it was a huge waste of time. I'd rather have a bard or monk pull.
  15. BearmanSW Elder

It's unfortunate, but necros will find themselves on the outside of groups looking in until forever. Even the fast acting dots later in the game don't damage quick enough. Part of their blight is due to the fact that player power has increased so much (spell and melee) making individual fights significantly shorter. This really applies to every class...almost all dots are useless in the group game (unless you have a small group or are hunting mobs higher than you).

Due to their insane mana regen, however, they should still provide decent DPS if they are sending in the pet and spamming lifetaps. Basically, if your necro continues to load up dots on that blizzard spider even when it gets below 30% health...givem the boot.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

Nope, 60.
  17. MBear Augur

Nothing you are saying is untrue, but you don't "absolutely have to know what you are doing as a necro" to know better than to dot multiple mobs in camp without prior discussion with the chanter. A basic understanding of how mez works should be sufficient to avoid that case and an average necro should have no problem pulling and parking mobs stacking them up in many, but certainly not all, circumstances.

I play both BST and NEC and they are both fun to play and both are useful in most groups. Your average player seems happy to play with a competent player and will work with various classes that can fill different roles. I always thought it was neat how many various combinations can be made to work in this game if people pay attention and play with moderate ability. If someone is min/maxing xp, then maybe they want to avoid less than perfect combinations so I certainly understand the choice. I've had a lot of fun in non-standard groups over the years that I probably wouldn't have willingly chosen.
  18. superman Augur

as an ench last night in velks my pet was (hunter with SLTW and tolump robe 2 yaks) parseing 140 dps. at lvl 48. don't know how long charmed pets stay this good, but I would think if I was a necro i'd definitely be grouping where there was undead and advertise (will charm) in your lfg tag lol. I'll take a necro with a charmed pet over a bst anyday. especially one that keeps screaming terror up to help with my charm breaks. which again makes it all situational. No undead, definitely going to pick the beasty.
  19. Kutsuu Augur

You are terribly confused. I have no clue why you quoted me with this nonsense. When the heck did I say Necromancers aren't good in a group, or that they should be caged into a solo mentality? I made the argument that they can bring a lot to a group.

As for the additional utility I spoke of - Spot healing in emergencies or supplementary healing + mana when you have a healer who is going OOM (to lessen the load and stop them from going OOM, thus your grind goes faster). And yes, crowd control. Offtanking when needed, FDing and ressing the cleric after a wipe for a quick recovery.
  20. Guzzle Augur

Oh look, someone who doesn't play on Phinny chiming in about how theoretically things should be in an Era they don't know about, with mechanics they don't know about. I love these posts so much.