The definition of addiction

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Risiko, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Risiko Augur

I got curious about just how many characters I have played over the past seventeen years, so I created a spreadsheet. Here's what I found.

I've played on 9 servers:
    • Bertoxxulous - Sarym
    • Drinal - Maelin Starpyre - Vazaelle
    • Fippy Darkpaw
    • Firiona Vie
    • Luclin - Stromm
    • Phinigel
    • Quarm
    • Ragefire
    • Xegony - Druzzil Ro
    I've played 103 characters, and completed 4 epics. Here is a list of most of them by server.
    Bertoxxulous - Sarym:
    • 11 Necromancer
    Drinal - Maelin Starpyre - Vazaelle:
    • 69 Mage
    • 67 Cleric (epic)
    • 65 Rogue (epic)
    • 56 Warrior
    • 55 Shadowknight
    • 53 Enchanter
    • 52 Paladin
    • 49 Ranger
    • 43 Warrior
    • 37 Rogue
    • 27 Mage
    • 22 Berserker
    • 21 Bard
    Fippy Darkpaw (TLP):
    • 54 Necromancer
    • 43 Shaman
    • 40 Druid
    • 38 Paladin
    • 36 Warrior
    • 34 Magician
    • 24 Shadowknight
    • 21 Ranger
    • 21 Bard
    • 11 Beastlord
    Firiona Vie:
    • 63 Wizard
    • 62 Shadowknight
    • 62 Enchanter
    • 56 Bard
    • 53 Beastlord
    • 32 Shaman
    • 18 Druid
    • 12 Monk
    Luclin - Stromm:
    • 105 Warrior (epic)
    • 105 Beastlord
    • 97 Rogue
    • 95 Magician
    • 95 Shaman
    • 92 Necromancer
    • 90 Wizard
    • 86 Bard
    • 85 Mage
    • 85 Enchanter
    • 82 Magician
    • 77 Ranger
    • 73 Enchanter
    • 67 Necromancer
    • 63 Rogue
    • 61 Bard
    • 61 Berserker
    • 60 Bard
    • 55 Druid
    • 49 Bard
    • 28 Ranger
    • 23 Rogue
    Phinigel (TLP):
    • 58 Wizard
    • 54 Druid (epic)
    • 53 Shaman
    • 49 Monk
    • 48 Necromancer
    • 43 Paladin
    • 38 Warrior
    • 34 Mage
    • 31 Shadowknight
    • 28 Enchanter
    • 27 Cleric
    • 26 Bard
    Quarm (Event):
    • 58 Ranger
    • 51 Berserker
    • 51 Magician
    • 51 Rogue
    Ragefire (TLP):
    • 58 Magician
    • 53 Wizard
    • 51 Enchanter
    • 51 Druid
    • 28 Magician
    • 27 Paladin
    • 27 Shaman
    • 19 Monk
    • 14 Necromancer
    Xegony - Druzzil Ro:
    • 71 Ranger
    • 71 Beastlord
    • 67 Magician
    • 66 Magician
    • 61 Shadowknight
    • 58 Warrior
    • 57 Shaman
    • 56 Necromancer
    • 51 Enchanter
    • 49 Bard
    • 47 Ranger
    • 41 Bard
    • 32 Rogue
    • 18 Necromancer
    • 17 Berserker
    • 17 Enchanter
    • 15 Paladin
    • 12 Shaman
    • 11 Magician
    This is what you call addiction. This is also why it really annoys me when I say that experience is slow on Phinigel and people say "you're not putting the time in necessary" or "you just want a free ride". I think I have put plenty of my time in to Everquest over the past two decades.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Meko Skeet New Member

no toons on the alpha or beta servers? i really wish newbs would stop posting here
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  3. Sathayorn Augur

Not entirely sure about the point you're trying to make. You made a lot of characters on a lot of servers... And you're bringing up Phinny, what's the issue? Taking too long to level? Do you believe your addiction entitles you to bonus experience? Is this a cry for help? Do you need an intervention?

You seem to have quite a few high level characters, so congratulations for that!

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I just want to know what the point of this is.
    Aghinem likes this.
  4. Draekyx New Member

4 epics lulz get out of here
    Sheex and Machen like this.
  5. Terranos Elder

Yeah I'm not sure what the point is either, if you didn't spend so much time flitting from one char to another you'd probably have at least 2 or 3 level capped characters on phinny.
  6. EqPlayer0001 New Member

Actually this probably is something like a dopamine rush.

Start a new character, visualize the legendary journey it will have, fantasize about doing epic quests and how good your character is going to be.

He's a good example of getting excited in the visualization process, but then losing interest when you actually go through with it.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Risiko like this.
  7. Risiko Augur

This guy knows what he is talking about.
  8. Chuuk Augur

Not sure you can *really* count the (3) Lvl 51's on Quarm server...considering they start at 51.
    4kix78 likes this.
  9. Orbital101 Augur

If you were addicted you would be XPing and be happy with what you would get. Been annoyed show that you have some kind of sane balance between the two. XP is still much faster then what it used to be and if you dont like it well then it is not the server for you.

I personally stay away from TLP, knowing my self I would probably die of a heart attack trying to max my toon in one session... :confused:
    Reht and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  10. EqPlayer0001 New Member

My, and several others', experience (HEH) during the last 24 hours of the anniversary bonus back in Kunark.....
  11. Geroblue Augur

Well, I may as wel post to...

I used to have 187 characters on 5 accounts. I have been deleting the ones I don't play often, and I'm now down to about 150 again. Currently 3 silver accounts and 2 ftp accounts. Just coming off having one account be all access. Cannot do that often though due to finances.

I typically play, about 5 hours a week, when I play. I've played several days in one week, but not the last couple of years. Been playing since 2004. No epics though, nor raids. Solo, and now moloing my way through. Highest played character is 62, with a few HC characters I've logged in and played a bit.
  12. Your_Ad_Here Augur

And this is on TLP forum, why? Oh .. you put in one sentence mentioning Phinny exp. Good on ya.
  13. Tevik Augur

I've been doing the same on my bard, slowly, over the years. You won't be able to get the beastlord one unless you're a beastlord, because it was added later and it has a class check built into the NPC that isn't on the original epic NPCs. Also, if you're planning on displaying them in a house or somewhere, you might as well skip the mage epic, since the actual reward is a spell scroll that you use to summon the epic.
  14. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I don't get all the sub-60 characters.

Before that point there is almost no depth to the gameplay, it was great in classic because it was an adventure but now a days, it's all been explored and discovered, there are maps, quest guides, mob descriptions, drop rates listed etc.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Hehe, too true. I have a level 51 (rolled as a level 1) ranger, which has one hour and 47 minutes of /played time (back during my big PL/fellowship XP sharing phase). I wanted as many classes as possible in the 50s, so I could go back and play them as alts at some point.

I never actually "played" that char. Log in, soak up the fellowship shared XP, and log out. This was before you had to "earn" shared XP.

Tat
  16. GoneFission Augur

Definition of addiction: playing the same game over and over and expecting something to change.
  17. Risiko Augur

That's closer to the definition of insanity.
  18. Aghinem Augur

At first I thought it was going to be some type of satire given the subject of this thread (like, what is your idea of addicted to eq...?), and then the beast reared its ugly head. Its a #cry #rage #eatthis thread.

Would be nice if they implemented some type of thread rating system so before you click on the link based on the bait subject, you can see if its been up-voted a ton or down voted a ton.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

lol.
  20. Brohg Augur

Is this supposed to indicate more or less time invested than my 105s (plus other nonsense) all on one server?
  21. jeskola pheerie

you, sir, have no concept of real addiction. most addicts are never happy with what they get and are constantly annoyed, either by not having enough of what they want, or by the addiction itself and the latent desire to quit.