Change the way you can /pick

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ravenshade32, Mar 1, 2016.

1. ravenshade32 New Member

I like many others love /pick system here, great for those that don't abuse the system and need to find a less crowded instance to exp in. The main problem with this is those that do abuse it and the list is very long, camping a named then picking over and over to kill names/ph in other picks....something needs to be done.

5 mins for pick times is great for those using it the way it should be used, I would like to see the time slowly increase for those that abuse the system.

/pick 1-4 times = 5 mins
    /pick 4-6 times = 10mins
    /pick 6-8 times = 20mins etc

All this would reset after 24 hours and would be per character. Using /pick 1-4 times is plenty for legitimate users, personally I don't think I have used /pick more than 3 times a day on one toon. I'm sure I am not the only one who has had a problem with people /picking just for names and it shouldn't be so easy to abuse.
  2. Eldrian Augur

[IMG]
    Venthos and Nolrog like this.
  3. Soon Augur

Just port to zi every time u pick. Remove the timer.
  4. Risiko Augur

I have to disagree. And, here's why.

1. You enter lowerguk main. Your group is in pick 2.
    2. You pick to pick 2
    3. Someone trains entrance just as you pick in
    4. You zone out to not get killed
    5. You zone back in to main pick
    6. Wait five minutes
    7. Pick over to 2
    8. After you get past the live frogs and you're drinking your ivu pot, an undead frog hops around the corner
    9. You run out of zone
    10. Goto line five

It already sucks waiting five minutes just to get back to the pick your group is in. Don't make it more painful.
    Venthos and Kridina like this.
  5. Kiani Augur

Wait until you get to Sebilis, there are 5 picks up and one box team is picking through all of them to keep heirophant camped in 4/5 picks. It sucks to do a camp check, crypt is uncamped, you go there, all mobs are up except heiro room, and just as it's due to respawn, group pops in and kills it.
  6. Finley Augur

We've been asking for changes to /pick since it was introduced on Ragefire and Lockjaw; and some quests are super reasonable (Like /pick moving you to the zone in). I wouldn't hold your breath. For what it's worth post Kunark it got a LOT better on Ragefire, people spread out more. Phinigel will likely be even better since boxing is so limited.
  7. Filnydar Journeyman

With not everyone in the general or the continent channel, /pick and /ooc in various instances is often the way to find a group...
  8. good post maker Journeyman

No, leave it as is.
  9. Iyvy Augur

Simple: Once you have used pick in a zone, you must zone out of the zone to use it again. Doesn't slow down any legit use of pick (bad string of dying, being forced out by a train). However box groups lose the ability to camp every camp in sebilis.
  10. Kiani Augur

I actually like some of those suggestions - /pick moving you to zone in - can't be abused to get out of combat, since it doesn't work in combat. You could say it's a cheat way to evac if you don't have an evaccer, but so what? I don't care if it saves a melee from having to origin, get a port, run to zone in again to get a new group in the same zone, when the group breaks up and the casters all gate to just outside!
  11. Kiani Augur

It's a bit unfortunate for one way dungeons though - if you need to run from zone in to zone out again in Seb or Chardok if you've already done a /pick (for whatever reason). And you'd have to work out a way of making it still work if you camp out and back in again.
  12. yerm Augur

The use is for checking multiple picks for a camp, so that sometimes you have to keep bouncing along and checking camps in each one. The abuse is farming mobs in multiple picks.

So, add a pickwide chat medium so that people can answer CCs etc in advance (and foster more social interaction, heyo). This is the big starting point. Rather than any extension on the pickover timer a purely loot-related lockout timer would suffice. It doesn't even have to be that long; even just a few minutes would stop people from timing spawns and picking into someone else's camp to snipe named if said resident group was paying any kind of attention.

A port to succor/zoneline is NOT a good solution. Many camps you want to physically check (rather than trusting ooc'd claims that sometimes are dead or recruiting players) and this prevents doing this easily. Far more importantly though many times a person runs to a location and then picks over, or a group will change picks, and this thoroughly screws that option. If I'm doing juggs in pick 4 and my group disbands and some buddies are in pick 7 with an open spot, I do not want to have to run back to join them, nor should they have to run back if they choose to pick over to mine and take my former group's vacant spot.