Double standard? On 3rd party software etc.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Skum, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skum Elder

http://www.pcgamer.com/nearly-25000-h1z1-players-banned-for-cheating/

Why is unnamed 3rd party programs, and the like, allowed here? If the CEO considers it cheating....wtf?
  2. Gregolo Augur

Because being able to teleport across an entire map and headshotting anyone within a 50 kilometer radius like a chain gun strapped on to a spinning top. Is not the same as harmless broadcasting software.
  3. Rauven Augur

He doesn't monitor EQ as well. He did that 16 years ago.

Couldn't hurt to send him a tweet about it, preferbly with screenshot and video evidence and see what happens.
    Skum likes this.
  4. Skum Elder

An excellent idea
  5. Rauven Augur

I'm glad you think so, I don't have a twitter account myself. :p

Who knows, maybe he can be caught with the tweet once he's been fired up about the other game. I mean he did oversee EQ a while back so maybe he considers it his baby still. Just one he hasn't looked into in a while.

"Cheaters in mah EQ? WTF?"
  6. Shmef Augur

equating hacking to a key broadcaster..... you know there are program that do similar things in eq, and if you are caught using them you get punished big time. some 3rd part programs are ok, but its not a FFA.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  7. Skum Elder

There is no rationalization here. This is a serious problem, any other game would consider it cheating. There is no grey matter here. This is factual, and everyone knows it. Even if you do it, you know what you are doing.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  8. Skum Elder

lol!
  9. Shmef Augur

sorry to break it to you, isbox is completely OK by DBG. it has been for at least 10 years probably longer, that is when i first read their stance on it. there is no rampant cheating. the fact you dont like it does not mean it is against the rules. if you are unhappy with that stance then fight to get the policy changed. but good luck with that as they reinforced that stance a few weeks ago amidst the hay day of box hate.

now if you are referring to EmmQueTwo that is a whole other subject. they very much hate that program and if you are caught using it you will be punished. but thats the hard part, some parts are difficult to detect.
  10. Skum Elder

You haven't 'broke' anything to me. This is cheating. Hands down. I hope this gets figured out. What I am breaking is that the CEO of this company points this out in another game under his wing, but this is allowed here.
  11. Shmef Augur

again, comparing a hacking program to a program that broadcasts a key press to multiple clients is nonsense. something that is not against the rules, is not cheating.
  12. Skum Elder

Nonsense. This is cheating, but has become widely accepted by quite few people that have learned to exploit this opportunity in a game where it's 'allowed'. The game was simply not meant to be played this way. Seeing 6 mages running around simultaneously in sync pisses people off. It's unbecoming of the way this game was designed. Using these types of programs in many other mmo's get people banned. Even if it's declared o.k. by DBG, it's still cheating. Knowing where mobs are outside of tracking or running to their spawnpoint is cheating. I can't understand why people are willing to defend this type of thing? These servers would benefit and have increased longevity if the community would band together, with any CSR available, and figure out a solution. In the long run, this sort of thing is only bad. Why can't people do the right thing?

And for the record, these types of programs are hacks. Look at Macrowhatever.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  13. Gregolo Augur

Boxing software is perfectly fine. There's 30 other ways to do it even if you somehow made Isbox not work. Get used to it, adapt.

However, your concerns about M-Q are valid. But you thinking that DBG 'allows' this is just laughable. The problem is, it's almost entirely undetectable unless the Everquest client starts monitoring your system processes. Pro tip, Activision got legal action filed against them for trying this, you think DBG is going to give it a shot? Get real.

Long story short, M-Q (the tracking etc) that you don't appreciate, is not allowed. But it's almost impossible to police until someone starts using scripts that require injections into the EQ client.
  14. Shmef Augur

this is isbox. the only thing it does is let you do things in unison like sending pet in at the same time etc - or control clients in the background while a different client is active. IE push a button but cast a heal on your healer. this is the program that is OK.

this is the other unnamed program and not allowed along with many other aspects of it that are very similar to the hacking program he is referring to in H1Z1. they hate this program. they will punish you if you are caught using it. do we need to go into more details about why the 2 programs are nothing similar?
  15. Skum Elder

Find a solution then. That's what development teams do. They find solutions. I know this because I am on one. Sure it's not 'allowed', but it becomes allowed as soon as there is no medium to enforce it's dis-allowance.
  16. Gregolo Augur

There is no solution. That's the problem. That's why people get the feeling like it's 'allowed'.

Think of it like this.

Box C is within box B
    Box B, is within box A.
    A encompasses all boxes (your operating system)

Everquest runs within box C
    M-Q (the hacking program giving you woes) typically lives within Box B
    C cannot see B, but B can see C. Hence it's more or less undetectable.

However, there are (or used to be) certain things M-Q would attempt to do that would start making it visible by box C. Because it literally injects itself into box C (detectable) in order to get more power than it would have if it remained passive in box B. Such as teleporting, etc. You don't really see this any more for obvious reasons.

It's hard to explain properly.
  17. Skum Elder

I am not against boxing, but finding ways to trivialize the process so 1 person can literally create armies utilizing 3rd party software is not good. It's the other programs too that get abused. The game would be much better without it, and it's a sad day that people like you guys are defending hacking the game.
  18. Skum Elder

I can't really accept 'there is no solution'. I don't think the community does either. Especially when problems like this have been figured out elsewhere.
  19. Gregolo Augur

We're not defending hacking. We're telling you that just because you perceive something as hacking, that it does not necessarily make it so. It really comes down to DBG's vision of Everquest. They set the stage, you get to act in it.
  20. Gregolo Augur

Let me rephrase. It's not that there isn't a possible solution. It's that the way Everquest is programmed, it's fundamentally not feasible for them to create a solution. They would have to modify the client so heavily that it becomes absurd.

Or you know, turn eq.exe into spyware.

You pick.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.