Bring back OMM.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Oranges, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Oranges Augur

Pre-nerf OMM offered a chance for casuals to play the game and lifted the class, level and gear barriers to entry.

Currently the game doesn't offer anything like OMM did in the past, most games offer the ability to join groups, they offer autogrouping, they offer small meaningful daily missions, they offer an easy way to play if you have a life outside of EQ, EQ offers none of that.removing them was a bad idea.
  2. Oranges Augur

They're nerfed and no one does them anymore, have you been to pok in the last couple of months? People who did them either stopped playing or they moved to something else.
  3. Oranges Augur

Cool, go make a thread about it if you like.
  4. Vouivre Augur

Many players and the devs themselves don't like people to do anything easy and fun. Fun, yes. Easy, yes. Never both.

Seriously though a lot of people were mad just like during DoN, that too many people were spending time not grouping with them. This makes people who are unpopular actually feel more unpopular so it got removed. Now someone will post I'm sure that it broke EQ because a few AAs once a day created a whole new generation of dumb players. It's always the excuse.
  5. Retrievil Elder

Wouldnt sitting in pok, and running zero risk missions as someone else for xp, ruin your immersion?
  6. Oranges Augur

XP of OMM wasn't even high, 2 AA at the cap for 15 minutes was nothing. The fact I'm not playing my own class is irrelevant to me, I have played all classes of the OMM with real characters, as many have, OMM are an alternative playstyle for me, not as something that needs to be justified outside of the OMM.
  7. Vouivre Augur

Immersion has been ruined for years. Hell they have ads in the game now. Besides, if you're worried about immersion then you don't do them, just like if you are worried about Venril Sathir faction you don't kill townie mobs in Overthere.
  8. Oranges Augur

What risk is there outside of OMM? Gating to the lobby and gating back with a campfire or rez 2 seconds later?
  9. Vouivre Augur

At cap the AAs were only two, but there were a lot, and I mean a lot, who did them way before the cap and that would net far, far more AAs than 2.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  10. Daegun Augur

I disagree. OMMs are fine the way they are.
  11. maverick Elder

ooms were so awesome, I know a lot of people were tired of them, but on the other hand, a lot of people also miss them.
    I for one loved them, I personally think it took some skill to rock those out, one person could screw the entire mission up for everyone, so everyone had to do their part.

Heck I don't care if they changed the content for them I just want something like them back that gives some reward worth a darn that would draw people back to them for a while.
  12. Mykaylla Augur

I'd actually like to see the XP added back. Some Old Man McKenzie items are essential things for some classes. Boxing Old Man McKenzie is not terribly fun- it goes by a lot faster with friends (and you still need three toons in zone to loot, anyway), but not everyone considers a brew (for a class that doen't have a chase item) and a small amount of platinum enough reward to help someone else.

With the rather surprising number of new and returned players around at present, it would give them an additional avenue of meeting people, regardless of level, too.
    Fllint and Vouivre like this.
  13. Langya Augur

OMMs caused the biggest S-storm back when they were current, and probably left a really bitter taste in the mouths of those who created them.There will never be any further effort made to them. Mykaylla, if you still had your old guild tag, then you could not get away with posting what you just posted, since it was people at that tier of play that brought forth the greatest amount of vitriol towards the OMM's and were a big part of getting them crushed.Mainly because it was raid gear without raiding and also encouraged deficient skill sets. Both of which can put a big dent in the top raiding guild's effort to recruit and retain quality players who might otherwise see an avenue to good gear with out all the drama, rules and other BS that the large raid guilds thrive upon.

Yes, it did kill the incentive to do them and robbed a means of people gathering to experience something together, but at this point most players would rather have an alternative means of getting the clickies while utilizing the newest "Hub Zone" to gather such as Shards Landing. So if any effort is made to bring back OMMs, than it should not actually be OMMs but some modern equal where you play as your actual character and are thus challenged in that role. More like LDoNs only with gear that is equal or below what you would get from normal Evercamp or Evergrind in order to discourage people from straying from the normal path but with interesting effects/clickies to still make them worth it. Certainly not anything even approaching Tier 1 raid gear. Granted the whole idea of OMMs was that it was the nostalgia and the ability for people with much greater lvl differences than usual to play together but as usual, those at the top of the game felt it was a threat, complained vigorously and thus that is why we can't have nice things. Its doubtful we will see much past the usual grind or copy paste gear to the design of EQ since too many people complain unless it is the same ole same ole.
  14. Mykaylla Augur

a) I have never posted, PMed, or otherwise in any way tried to get OMM gear "crushed" *with the exception of taking exception to the Staff of Forbidden Rites, which at first had a recast faster than the fastest cleric AA rez, and STILL has a faster cast time (which is why I have one, that I farmed the brews for)*- not in Hellfire Club, not in Realm of Insanity, and not now. Look me up and quote me on it.

b) Realm of Insanity requires three classes to *have* OMM gear, FYI. And strongly encourages a number of others to have it.

c) OMM XP was nerfed long after the gear was being distributed throughout the populace. In fact, it was done so people couldn't just bank tasks and brew their way to level 90- it got axed just before House of Thule launched. Since the XP from OMMs scaled to your level, you'd get more XP the higher level you were. In fact, in light of that, and since you wanted to bring up a high/low raiding tier dichotomy, it was "done" to prevent the people that min/max and trying to grind fastest- people like Realm of Insanity members.

d) Higher tier raiding guilds are more likely to still be doing them at present- they're not so dependent on XP, their grind groups et cetera move them along just fine with that, and they get through progression faster, leaving them time to chase down every little bit of "power" they can eke out of their class and gear. In guilds like RoI, every necro has their 2.5 (and if they didn't, a group of people go and clear Demi to Tris- if the page doesn't drop from her, they'd make sure there was an alt set up to get the Dark Savant title, and finish off Mayong. Voila, 2.5). Every member druid has their shawl, and their OMM rez stick, and their spec augs from LDoN. Every paladin has their shawl and rez stick, every cleric has their shawl and Anomalous Rock of Alteration, every non-chanter caster and bard that wants it has their Orb of Tishan, also from OMM. Those items are just as useful for people that don't have as "strong" a guild, or as many powerful friends, and people behind the XP curve are going to get more out of it than people burning glyphs (that's a joke at my own expense, since Piestro teases me about my AA count).

d) LDoNs still provide XP if you're in the level ranges. They simply didn't want to keep repopulating the zone every expansion with a new tier of challenging mobs. Incidentally, LDoNs are another source of a required item for those high tier raiding guilds- the Icy Prism of Avoidance.

If you don't like XP from OMMs, then just say you don't. ~Laughs~ It's called a difference of opinion, and they're frequently useful. You are, however, mistaken about me. I can change my guild tag and say exactly the same thing again... because I am me.
    Fllint likes this.
  15. Vouivre Augur

They complain like this anytime there is a Monster Mission of any kind. There are a small vocal group of people who get very upset when everyone isn't forced to play the way they think the game should be played. OMM whining and crying wasn't new. And each time they as usual went overboard "fixing" the issue. Instead of choosing one solution to the problem, they come up with a list of solutions and use them all. Every single time.
  16. Apples New Member

I will raid Anguish with you Oranges.
  17. Rainbowdash Augur

*giggle*
  18. Langya Augur

In response to you, Mykaylla:

a) You as an individual may not have said anything to the effect of "kill off OMMs" but the backlash from those at the top tier raiding guilds (and even some mid tier too) on the boards when they were current was nothing short of epic. It created an even more vast rift between the hard core raiders "haves" and the casual/grouper "have nots". You as a result might be guilty by association.

b) Of course the top end might require some items in spite of the possible perception of a double standard. Controversy aside, they are useful items and double standards are OK if you are the one with the greatest track record of success.So publicly condemning while privately condoning is A-OK.

c) Yes, very true about the min/maxxing and banking. Again, double standard applies. Many top shelf players publicly argued that it was training up a whole new generation of worthless players while at the same time milking every iota out of the missions they could. No shock there.

d) Understood. I have all those things you mentioned spread across my main and various alts as do many others at the lower end of things. I probably would have gotten the staff for my cleric when he was still a main as well if it was not for all the whining about a 90% rezz those that already had one seemed to endure so I didn't feel it was worth it. I was never in a guild where people didn't get hung up on that whole 6% of exp. Point of it all being that some gear is essential regardless of how it is obtained no matter who you are.

e..or is this d #2?) For the record I thought the exp was good. The plat was good. All around, great idea. I did tons of them and felt they were harmless as well as a nice distraction from business as usual. Not the end of EQ as we know it that others so passionately posted. The thing is, my voice was not as loud as those who wanted the Old Man Missions nuked from orbit, all records of their existence burned and all who had contact with them killed in their sleep. The backlash was so severe it is doubtful SoE will ever risk anything close to that again and serves as proof that the Vocal Minority wields way too much power. Thus, what I said before. Everyone likes or at least tolerates Vanilla so that that is what we all will be served. Also, it encourages SoE to never publicly take a position or communicate with the players because they might just be fed up with the bishing. That aside, if there is a way to make something like the OMMs work again without having it be a huge PR disaster or resulting in the usual surgery with a chainsaw if something goes not quite right, then I say bring it.
    Leerah likes this.
  19. Gladare Augur

It's actually 6% of 10%. Making people that refuse a 90% rez that much more of a twit.
  20. Crystilla Augur

Can I say "you said it" lol.
  21. Leerah Augur

If you die in a level 50 shroud, mathematically, should you get your 96% while enshrouded or revert to your level 90 form before getting rezzed? It appears that you could settle this question definitively.