New ideas to really help eq profit even more so it lasts forever.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Questoften32, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Scila Augur

um no well thought out tho ... the would u like fries w that approach doesn't work for me ... while it is bogged down for the casual player to keep up, there is that sense of accomplishment with completing things ....
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Vapula Journeyman

how about if they actually advertise the game on tv like they do with wow
    Lisandra likes this.
  3. Absor Developer

You've mentioned a lot of things, I'm sorry for not addressing everything, but some of this I can make an intelligent response about.

Don't be scared. EQ is still loved by the folks developing it.

Heroes Forge is fantastic, but it has limitations. The system has a long, rocky history, much of which you have probably seen. It started out very bulky. This was because we were layering the armor on top of the character model. The old, original "armor" was what we call a mat (short for "material", I think). Which is just a different texture on the actual model, not an attachment or new layer of geometry on top of it. So the old-old armor fit the characters skin tight, literally. When the first attempt at Hero's Forge came out, it looked super bulky in comparison and nobody was really happy with it.

The solution to that was to shrink the armor, pull it closer and closer to the model. However, we couldn't get it close enough to not look bulky without it clipping into the character. Too close and a chest piece would push inside the character's chest and look really bad.

So the solution was to remove the part of the character under the armor. So if your character is wearing pants, we no longer draw that characters legs and waist. So now we can shrink the armor piece to make it the same size as the character the was underneath. So it doesn't feel bulky.

The problem with that is, we can't show any skin. It's not because we don't like the idea, we literally can't, there is no skin to show. We would love nothing better than to, for example, reproduce Firiona's outfit in Hero's Forge, but we can't.

Absor (using my whole handle, since you youngins might not remember who the heck I am)
  4. Absor Developer

I don't know how GoG makes it's decisions about what to host. It seems to me that they rescue long lost games, make them compatible with modern systems, and sell them. I don't know if a living, functional, subscription based game would meet their needs. It seems to me that Steam is the better fit for us.

/shrug

A
  5. Finen Elder

No, not worth the money to advertise on TV. If they can get on GoG.com that would be a good start to a new marketing direction. Getting LoN back up on development and on tablets would help market the EverQuest IP to the mobile gaming market as well.

Honestly it's damn shame that Legends is still not on mobile. It lacks polish compared to Hearthstone but it is a deeper game with less cheap moves. It's such an obvious move that would generate revenue that I have to seriously wonder if any of the legacy leadership at Daybreak has a clue.
    Lisandra likes this.
  6. Absor Developer

Oh, and Fenudir, as much as I am not a real fan of achievements when I play games, I think I understand why people like them. They represent an thing they have accomplished. Selling those accomplishments, while it might make us some money short term, would sort of ruin the feeling of accomplishment that drives the achievement hunters. I would rather have those people keep playing than have a few quick bucks from some folks. To be fair, I would rather have a few bucks from some folks AND keep the achievement hunters playing. Figure out how to do that! :p

A
    Lisandra and Yinla like this.
  7. Kontra Augur

People need to relax....Absor knows what time it is!
    Lisandra and Diptera like this.
  8. Vapula Journeyman

I still think that TV is worth a shot im pretty sure majority of society revolves around tv and itll hit the new generation faster then gog would.. noone willl know unless its seen heck you can even do a commercial and advertise gog with it as well .. how many ppl even know about gog, i didnt until just now
    Lisandra likes this.
  9. Leex Pewpewer

That's good! Cause it's loved dearly by it's player base too!

Even the devs are loved! EVEN the ones who make resets, glitch wins :p..(I had to do it! )
    Lisandra likes this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It says so on the left hand side of your post in red. ;)
  11. Fendy Augur

I'm confused. Just looked at GoG.com. It's Warner Bros market. What makes it EQ's market?
  12. Absor Developer

I get into arguments with folks all the time about this. I just don't read the name of a poster before reading the thread. I don't care who posts a thing, just what that post contains. So I guess I've blocked out that whole part of the screen. I've broken my own brain...

A
    Elricvonclief and Lisandra like this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Some of us just stalk devs. :p
    Lisandra and Diptera like this.
  14. Absor Developer

You think that, but the reality is, we're stalking you.

A
  15. Finen Elder

The people who go to GoG are looking for older games. EverQuest is an older game. You will find many games that were contemporaries of EverQuest during it's height at GoG.com

If someone is at GoG looking for older games chances are they are the kind of player that would find EverQuest worth a shot.

Steam is a wide open market, there are older games, new games, games still in development, and software that aren't games at all available on Steam. I worry about Daybreaks ability to achieve visibility on the Steam platform with their current non-existant marketing. However there is nothing saying you couldn't be on Steam and GoG.
    Lisandra likes this.
  16. Numiko Augur

If your using alpha layers to block out the old character models so they can use tight fitting armour the it's pretty east to design the layers to show areas not covered by the armour.

I do this in second life for clothes I make and sell there, make custom alpha masks so the skin does not show through the mesh clothing.

Of course i'm assuming this is how you are "deleateing" the old model, you could be using a totally different system.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Eq has done steam promotions before and H1Z1 is on steam, steam seems like it would be a more favoured option.
    Barton likes this.
  18. Leex Pewpewer

Kontra this isn't general! Get outta here!
  19. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

The best combination would be to have a promotion on GOG right when you launch a new progression server.
    Lisandra and Finen like this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Can't you make armor that looks like it is showing skin but is actually a piece of the armor?
    Barton and Yinla like this.