AA spells are no spells...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Haegar, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Haegar Augur

Several spells are also available as AA.

Those do not count as spells however. And thus they don´t benefit from focus items.
    Now obviously you don´t need mana saving, and maybe a cast time focus makes them unbalanced.

However i find it really irritating if my debuff AA spells don´t land, just because the target is out of range - while everything else i cast is perfectly within range...
  2. Stephen51 Augur

Sorry to derail this slightly, but I should just mention that Pallies get an AA nuke, Disruption or Persecution. It was deemed that an 8k nuke, critting for 24-25k (thats VOA lvls, not sure on new rank added to ROF) was deemed to over powering without a mana cost. To my knowledge its the only AA spell with a mana cost.
  3. RaceCondition Augur

I also find it rather frustrating that they don't try to compensate by increasing the range slightly of the AAs.

On a side note, I think there are some AAs that are affected by focuses, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm remembering correctly. Maybe it was only for instrument focuses?

There are probably many others, but fading Memories and Enchanter AA crystals come to mind.
  4. Rogue Augur

Many aa's have a 1 mana cost
  5. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Isn't having a mana cost the prerequisite for focus effects to be considered? (I thought the threshhold was 10 mana) maybe making the AA's cost 10 mana each would allow focus effects to work?
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No there are other factors involved such as the level of the spell and if it is flagged to be able to use focus effects and they flag AA's so that they can not use focus effects through various means.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There are other classes out there that have AA's that cost mana, I think enchanters are one of them with an AA that can summon a mana gaining clicky.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not saying that this doesn't need to be looked at but do you adjust the range on the AA spells to match whats on the group or raid range focus? Either way for some people you will end up with spells having different ranges.
  9. Trajet D'Or Augur

AA are spells and are affected by focus effects.

The most common reason as to why you don't recieve a benefit from your current focus effects is the level of the spell. AA Hand of Ro is drulevel 254 so any focus effect which decays 5% per level would have to soft cap at level 235 or higher to affect AA Hand of Ro.

Some spells that are cast by AA or click and I think only Wizard Harvest among cast spells cannot be focused by any means but most AA can, checking lucy raw for the level of the spell will let you know which ones aren't affect by almost all worn focus effects.
  10. Abazzagorath Augur

A lot of bad information here.

The reason focus effects don't work on most aa spells (and clicky effects) is because your class is not able to cast the spell in question.

For example, the paladin Disruptive Persecution mentioned above, has classes listed as "none", hence focus effects will not work (crits can, just like on procs).

The Mantle of the Wyrmguard, the paladin vish item, at one point did not use focus effects, because there were two versions of "Wave of Piety" listed in the data file. One was the spell, the other had classes listed as none, otherwise they were the same.

The duplicate entry was eventually deleted and now the shoulders cast the exact same spell as the one paladins get, and now focus effects work on the clicky group heal.

This is why focus effects don't work on procs, because almost all of them were/are listed as "class: none".
  11. Abazzagorath Augur

Oh, related thing some may not know, aggro rules differ based off the same thing. Stun procs only generate like 450 aggro or whatever, even though the base stun aggro is 1200 on every player stun. If they made a weapon proc that was the actual stun spell a paladin uses, then for paladins it would do the real hate (1200 or the override value on newer stuns), but would still only do the 450 for non-paladins.
  12. Trajet D'Or Augur

Classes: None is just how Lucy chooses to represent the information. Lucy chooses to display Classes: None when all cast levels are above some threshold so it's a decent guideline.

Bale and Brimstone is not affected by any current worn fire focus if proc'ed by an Enc, Mage and Necro since it's cast as a level 255 spell. While a Wizard is casting a Level 66 spell.

The reason you can crit is that most/all crit chances are a focus effect that has no level limit, so for instance the version of Horror on Dagger of Death which is a Level 255 Necro spell gets 0% damage/range same from worn items same as all Level 120 and higher spells but crit chance from AA, Epic and Anguish BP do work.