Feign Death "fixed"? :)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by SaderakhBertox, May 21, 2014.

1. SaderakhBertox Augur

I mentioned in a prior post that I thought Feign Death seemed to have a nearly 100% success rate in certain aspects of the game, and thought that was a bit unfair, especially in raids where I am essentially just one of many dps. I thought this because fooling a raid boss so easily just didn't feel right to me.

I'm running around Tower of Rot right now, and Feign Death fails a lot. I'm pretty excited about it. It really adds to the excitement and danger.

So I am curious. Is it my imagination / random number generator playing tricks on me, or has there really been an adjustment to the success rate? I supposed that it is some zone-specific modifier, but I'm really not sure how all of that is done.

Thanks for any feedback.
  2. Serriah_Test Augur

EQ's model turned from skill-based / resource-based to slot-machine based.

They are simply running out of things to link to the RNG.
  3. Tearsin Rain Augur

they have had the ability to put a fail mod on FD since... if i recall right, TSS is when they introduced that.

it could be a random fluke that you're experiencing, or it could be that they put an FD failure mod in the zone - to my knowledge they have not posted that a fail mod was added to tower of rot, but you never know.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Smallpox Augur

CotF is a fail mod. :p
  5. Kiillz Augur

idk maybe your lucky....one of my favorite sayings in game is 100 levels and still failing .....
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. porky Augur

I always thought the FDing off agro was done wrong. Either its an intelligent mob, who you can fool once, maybe even twice, but even at ogre intelligence you pop up that third time hes going to come "MAKE SURE" your parts cant get back up. Otherwise it's an animal, who after killing you, should proceed in eating you cause that's why they attacked you in the first place.
    Fenthen likes this.
  7. SaderakhBertox Augur

I think its done as well as it can be with the tools available. The skill itself probably doesn't deserve an overhaul (labor-intensive) where's its success/failure is based on the individual NPCs. So I imagine, in a zone with animals/mindless creatures, humanoids, and undead, since you can't set that rate individually, the next best thing, if you choose to set anything, would be the zone. Then, you'd set it based on the most intelligent NPCs, not the dumbest. That seems like a fair compromise.

Being level 100 and being able to FD, I see as only half the story. The other half is who or what you are trying to fool, and if they can be fooled.

Anyway, I think I will finally set an audio trigger for the fail. I never got around to it because raiding COTF since its release, I can probably count the failures on one hand.
  8. Smallpox Augur

FD Audio Trigger (Fail) Text: "you have fallen to the ground" < Without the Quotes
  9. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I always thought FD should just drop you to the bottom of the agro list, no clear it.

That should also happen if you go into purple health.

The mobs thought should be "No longer an immediate threat, so knock down the ones still standing first."
    Serriah_Test and Fenthen like this.
  10. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Sounds good. Except this is a world where death is a temporary thing, disease can always be cured (sometimes it takes death but...), people can shapeshift, levitate, cast spells, etc. So a few things that seem "illogical" are not out of place.

If SOE ever does nerf FD, that mostly negates the reason I play a monk (my other toon besides my druid). Should they do so, I would demand a free "class change" for my monk, since they just took away a massive amount of usefulness of the class.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The length of time most of the mobs stop and wait to see if you get up is long enough as it is. The NPC themselves likely cannot attack anything they have flagged as dead which is what FD does for the most part. You can still be killed by casters if they started the spell before you FD'd.

As for the OP, you have some crazy good luck with FD I fail at last 1/10th of the times that I really need it to work, much less when I don't really need it to work.
  12. sojuu Augur

Isnt there something to do with how close the mob is to u? Like a higher chance to fail if hiting fd at a mobs feet and such compared to hitting fd 300 feet away like u had a heart attack or something runnin from the mob.
  13. junglenights Augur

If everything was this way, few would be able to play the game AND enjoy it. Why don't mobs act smart, you say? Why don't healers actively heal the others? Why don't they snare players and kite them? Why don't they run away when low health when clearly they'll lose otherwise? Probably 20 years ago MUD developers were having to answer this question made by inquiring players. The answer was and always has been "If we made the mobs smart nobody would play. It wouldn't be fun anymore. We've even tried it and it didn't work. Mobs would ninja kill. Fights lasted too long. It just wasn't a game anymore."

That's what they say. They say it wouldn't be fun anymore if monsters were smart. This contradicts what almost player every thinks: "Gee, I wish mobs were smarter. That'd be so awesome. They just can't program it yet. Someday it'll happen!"

It has already happened and it wasn't fun.

However, first-person shooters and instanced controlled pvp - in mmorpgs - has shown players can compete against each other and yet the game can still be fun. They do this by implementing various measures to make it fair. They do so by limiting ninja killing and/or stealing and/or griefing and/or overpowered/underpowered players. This shows it may be possible to implement smart monsters and yet the game can remain fun. So in some ways, it hasn't happened yet, and designers were wrong.
  14. junglenights Augur

Maybe not out of place for you, but maybe for others. One person can watch a movie and like it from beginning to end, while another can watch it and think it was the dumbest plot ever devised. People aren't all the same.

I have a computer background, for example. Whenever I see computer people in movies or read about them in books, I almost always laugh. Why? Because the writer gets it so wrong it's just plain bad. I can't sit through it without /drooling. And yet many people will read or watch the very same thing and not notice anything. It's all about where you come from and also your ability to separate fiction from what you know in reality. If I could do that better I'd enjoy more movies and books. What makes it hard for me is especially when the book or movie tries to pass itself off as genuine and true to life. It's one thing when a movie or book makes fun of itself and avoids being too serious, but it's a very much different thing when it doesn't.
  15. Delbaeth Elder

Clearly nerfing FD would make a big mess. It just wouldn't make sense in development work or impact on players. Still, FD leads the parade of in your face shocking stupid EQ flaws right after summons. No matter how entrenched and unchangeable it still grates. I have often thought EQ monks were cool but can't get in to playing a character who's best known ability is playing dead.

Some mobs could be resistant to FD without making a class balance disaster. We have stun immune, run speed immune, mez immune, slow immune ... I have even met fade immune.
  16. Leerah Augur

One of the FD spells was failing for all classes in PoWar. They've switched to another, eg. Death's Effigy.
  17. Serriah_Test Augur

Yeah, PVE should be more about "puzzle solving" than combat strategies. Giving NPCs a decent AI would also require tuning so the NPC was about the same power level as you.

Could you imagine Avatar of War, back in the day, isolating clerics and then wizards - etc etc... and then taking on the tanks? That would be the best 30 slaughter of all time. <insert Kanye west meme here>
  18. Questoften32 Augur

No pont making fd as useless as disarm or intemadate, I only level those to pad skill tree.
  19. porky Augur

Well, to all those that quoted me with an angry rebuttal. I wasn't suggesting they change anything. Originally FD was suppose to just save the monk/necro on a group wipe. When monks started using repeated FDs to split mobs the developers "allowed it" thinking it a creative use of the ability. My point above was that you really shouldn't be able to repeatedly "fool" intelligent mobs. And that animals should just keep "attacking" you as they eat your FD corpse. Which would be funny.

As for summoning mobs, yeah that IMO was one of the worst implementations in the game. Makes absolutely no sense and it isn't even funny like repeating FD is. Especially when you can make mobs "runfast" and be immune to snare, there just isn't any point to it.
    Fenthen likes this.
  20. Obiziana Augur

Summoning mobs were absolutely awesome in their initial implementation. Remember the first time a Fire Giant summoned you and EVERYONE in SolB knew about it?
    Fenthen likes this.