Changes with the February Update: Developer Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Prathun, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Quilix Elder

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-producers-letter-november-2013

To close, I want to talk to you about something exciting we have on the horizon, and it’s one of the things we haven’t discussed previously: Heroic Characters. If you follow or play EverQuest II, this might sound familiar to you. They recently launched Heroic Characters which permits returning players to create a Level 85 Character, allowing players the ability to try out different classes at a higher level and also giving quicker access to high level areas. Our offer of Heroic Characters will be very similar to EverQuest II’s, though our offer will be unique to EverQuest. After all, the games are not the same, so there are just some things that will be different in order to better suit our game. We are just getting underway on this project, so stay tuned for more information!
  2. Tarrin Augur

Second hand info is not experiencing it.

I have seen a picture of the Eiffel Tower. I had talked to people who had seen it. I had seen the Eiffel Tower in movies.

Nothing compared to visiting Paris and climbing the steps myself.

So no, living your EQ life vicariously is not experiencing it for yourself
  3. Deloehne Augur

They will start with the AA grant opted-out. To get the grant they will need to tick an 'opt-in' box, probably located on an AA page. I think at that point they will see immediately what they have obtained, or will at least be on notice to look further.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Actually that was the wrong thread it should be the last para in

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/november-producers-letter.205020/
  5. Arcaine Elder

Thank you for pointing out the 85 heroic info.
  6. Tharrg Augur

Ok but they dont say what level it will be.. they dont say what type of gear they will have. They say that they will be similar to how EQ 2 does it which is buy them.... but thats where the comparrison stops.. For all we know they may be level 50..... or they may be level 95. Seeing this I dont think we should worry too much about it because it appears to be something that may still be a year away.... they already have everything they need for this march... but they stated there that the project was just getting underway so that would tell me.. look for it in a year... or longer...
  7. Quilix Elder

Lol - your insistent at changing the goal posts :) - Last time it was how would could I compare how immersive they were, now its changed to if I have personally sat at the keyboard to gain experience to form my opinion :rolleyes: To use your example - I am standing beside the guy taking the picture of the Eiffel Tower. And if you had seen the picture and thought that looks dull - would you have bothered going ?
  8. Quilix Elder

Please simply use the SOE post tracker to seek information in these 2 threads.
  9. Tarrin Augur

No, I haven't changed anything.

You said older content > recent content.

I merely said that you never experienced new content first hand to ever be able to make that comparison.

You then supported my statement.

No, you were not standing next to the guy taking the picture. You merely watched a few home videos.
  10. poto Elder

unless of course your sony right? or do the sheer number of players who don't like the WAY the aa grant is being implemented not count?

Its not the 'catch up' need which i've not seen people argue against, but the implementation......

helping new and alts catch up IS A GOOD THING - by doing as little as possible on a development side is a bad thing..

accept breadcrumbs once with no argument and you'll get them every time.
  11. Bardy Elder

If you want to experience the low level game, no one is stopping you, the AA is optional.

Like I said earlier, the reason swarming became so popular, is because people wanted to bypass the tedious leveling process, for the umteenth time and get their alts/mains to a reasonable level where they could play with their friends or other alts. Swarming/mass killing is going away and this is a NEEDED change to keep EQ going. I think this will entice people to come back and others to start alts and enjoy another class without the ridiculous time investment needed to get them to a playable(in this day) aa level.

Remember when there was no AA in EQ??!! You just leveled and got better gear SLOWLY. AA was just another way to give people something else to do after they leveled. They never intended AA to be a massive time sink for new players or returning players. All new content is balanced with AA, you really NEED a certain level of AA to play now. They have to do this, it will be good for the game in the long run.
    moogs likes this.
  12. poto Elder

ask sony to start a poll on which expansion content is best, i guarantee not one of the last several expansions comes close to winning. limit the vote by a player to only expansions they actually played during their release year and i'd wager none of the last several come close even with that restriction either
  13. Tarrin Augur

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

The demographic of players that never buys the latest expansion is a demographic of players I will almost never group with, due to me spending most of my time in the last expansion.
  14. Quilix Elder

Read the sentence below and tell me where I said "older content > recent content." because I keep looking but can't find it. I do see me saying that SOME of the older content is better thought out and more immersive than SOME of the later content. Then add that this is only a personal opinion.

I am glad your opinion means so much to you that you find it a worthy pastime to flack other peoples personal opinions that they are in no way pushing onto others.

15. Tharrg Augur

Lets take a count.... most people arguing against this are doing so in mupltiple posts. So dont count those posts seperatly as a different person. I say at most 20 people have commented how much they hate it. But I have not gone through and counted them all. Why not someone do that, go through count each individual account that says they hate the AA autogrant and each that Hate the class change and then count the ones saysing they are for it. See if the "Majority" is real.
  16. Tarrin Augur

Don't forget this:
    I am just pointing out that your opinion seems to be based on a lack of experience, that's all. It feels odd to see someone quantify something they have not experienced.

I have nothing wrong with you playing the game how you want. I have nothing wrong with you loving the early/mid range game. When you make repeated statements on how you feel the early/mid game content is better than recent stuff (with out ever having first hand experience), then I felt that was a little..well..odd.

It doesn't matter if you say "some", "all" or "none". The same point applies.
  17. Dances Journeyman

I couldn't agree with you more Dandin
  18. Quilix Elder

Was already worked out that using the forum would not give real figures for any argument (i.e. you only need a disposable email address to set up an account). Can't use IP to distinguish etc. At one point I made the mistake of saying we could take a poll in game. The reply to me from Devs strongly suggested that this was not something that was up for voting on. And that in game polls were never trusted by the losing side of an argument anyway (which ever side that was).
  19. Woodlore New Member

I have read a good number of these posts and I disagree that the nerfing of beaming, swarming, assassination, decap, etc is a good thing. Neither is auto-granting AAs.

The nerfing of the abilities. As a ranger, I can not tell you how many times we have had Headshot nerfed to a point where SoE said, "it is now working as intended." We have not received an upgrade AA to headshot since November of 2011. How can it all of a sudden be not working as intended?

Auto-granting AAs:
    In my own opinion, this will have a negative impact. People should in some way shape form or fashion earn the AAs. Double the range to 8,000 AAs and increase the bonus, but make people work for it. That is what Everquest was all about. The satisfaction of earning your rewards. Not accepting handouts.
    Once you start handing stuff out for free, all of a sudden people start expecting everything for free. Again, my own observation.
    Petts, Velric and Dances like this.
  20. Dances Journeyman

I have only posted on one account the fact that I don't like or agree with these changes ....although I pay for 4 and my buddy has only posted on one account that he is against the changes and he pays for eight. So I don't think multi posting is as much a problem as people are making it out to be.

I think that the idea someone mentioned is great where instead of auto granting the lower levels of aa that at least have to pay 1/1/1/1/1 and so on for the lower levels up until they are up to underfoot.

I also think that the mass killing nerf is going to far....and should be scaled back on all classes.

I think the 2 min timer between headshots is way to long as is a 2 min timer on most classes ... its a fast paced game and people pull mobs quickly in groups .