Changes with the February Update: Developer Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Prathun, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Piestro Augur

No. We don't release stuff like that. Sorry.
    Teranna likes this.
  2. Pickleweasle Journeyman

Maybe you are correct. Maybe I have thrown it out there en-mass for all servers instead of just the one I am on. You see, I am on FV server with all different loot rule sets. These rule sets allow someone who started playing the game a week ago to level to 100/4kaa's+ in less that a week(with pl's). This person can then purchase the latest raid gear and instantly app for one of three raid guilds on the server. Because of this type of rule set the economy on the server is very different than other servers. Hell, krono sell for 600kpp+ on the server and are pretty much snatched up instantly by plat sellers who control the entire economy on the server. Call it capitalism if you wish, but it is the truth. I guess my point is this....the drive on this server is for plat to buy everything instead of grouping and progression. On other servers you get better gear by grouping and doing progression. The situation on my server creates a lot of big heads and the Elitist attitude I speak of. I am in no way speaking of everyone on my server as some do group and progress.

I would ask that anyone here spend a week or two on the FV server and just see for yourself. I do remember bertox being a much more friendly server and I am likely going to jump back over there. All in all, I see the aa auto-grant being used mostly my current players and vets as well. I have played every class in the game but a bard since 2000 and I have done the grind over and over again just like many of you have. I am looking forward to this feature being brought to us.

This game has gone through many changes over the years and not everyone agreed with them at all times. Those of us who love the game need to stick together and embrace the work we did, the experiences we have shared and foster a more accepting environment for any and all players that enter this game. I remember when there was no aa system in the game at all. I remember when a 10hp tank was the best in the game during PoP. I know old zones like the back of my hand and can rejoice in sharing my knowledge with everyone else in the game. We are lorekeepers of everquest and while new players may not have worked as hard and long as we have had to work, we are the true EVERQUEST'ers. We have the knowledge of the entire game..not just the latest expansion. We are masters of the game as none can ever be. This is true value that can never be auto-granted or taken away from us.

I ask that you embrace the change, relish in your triumphs and accomplishments, and mentor every chance you get. It is our duty to keep the game going and the new guys need to respect the game as we do and the only way to do that is by accepting change and sharing our experience with others.
    Sorry if I offended anyone..is just my point of view.

Good Hunting.
  3. Canik Augur

Don't think of it as wasting time, think of it as less time getting AAs that aren't nearly as fun to have.
  4. Piestro Augur

This is potentially difficult for code reasons. And 7th. 7th makes everything harder.
    Pirouette likes this.
  5. Potawatomi Augur

1. It's isn't 4k aa. It varies among classes.
    2. Explain how this takes away from your accomplishments?
    3. The "Hardcore" players, already have the AA necessary to compete and aren't challenged. See the raids being beaten in a day.
    4. The rest of what you are saying is I don't like this but I'm not going to give an actual reason, I just don't like it.
  6. revran1 Journeyman

for the people who done bought these aa and that are over 4000 do we get them back to buy aa we earned or do we get punished for trying to build are toons
  7. Badname 2323 New Member

so you don't think my frustration is warranted, Canik?
  8. Dabrixmgp Augur

so people who play sports shouldnt be proud of what they do? They are still games.
  9. Piestro Augur

We don't treat new posters any differently, if you want to share your feedback we take it seriously.
  10. Catastro Fees New Member

This sounded to me like progress in the right way
  11. Oranges Augur

Then ignore them. Most people will have fun helping those people understand their new AA and adding them to their group and friends list.

I would rather have 5 real people in my group that mess something up, than boxing with my merc because no one I know is online.
    Ardin likes this.
  12. muldoor New Member

Thanks for the answer (surprising fast). I am guessing the correct answer was for the second part of my question?
    Still not sure about this part, tia.
    Do you have to be a new account (or silver switching to gold) to be granted the AAs up to four expansions behind the current expansion; or does this apply to current gold accounts as well?So, if I have a 51 character on my account, as well as an 85, both will be awarded AAs appropriate to their levl/cap.?
  13. Samatman Augur

There are two ways people measure their achievements and self worth. Say you climb a mountain... One way to measure that achievement is to look inside yourself and enjoy the gratification of having mastered or completed a challenging personal goal. Other people measure their self worth by comparing themselves to others. To them, they climb that same mountain then look at the guy that paid for a helicopter ride up. He gets the same view but went to no effort. This therefore cheapens their accomplishment in their minds. This is the key behind those that want a way to tell who got the power-up and who didn't. For them, they can safely ignore those who took the grant - they won't need to compare their achievements to them.
    Garshok and Mozzarella like this.
  14. Piestro Augur

How will character 1 be penalized in any way?
    Teranna likes this.
  15. Tarrin Augur

Any character on a gold account will be able to opt in to the AA auto-granting in its current form.
  16. Reht The Dude abides...

The point i am getting at, which you obviously missed, is that something needs to be done. SOE made some changes in the past to try to make the game easier on new players, which weren't as successful as they would have liked, now they are trying something with a larger scope.

I am in a high end guild. I have nothing to prove and I expect no hand outs. I was hoping to have a leisurely night and meet some new people. I am neither crying nor complaining, I have no problem going back to boxing, which just perpetuates the problem. Whereas a new player may just give up in frustration. Without new players, this game will die from attrition, probably not any time soon, but better to fix it before it too late.
  17. Catastro Fees New Member

Some us only boxing because we had trouble finding groups and now is enjoy boxing its so I can go places and do things I cant when no group
  18. Piestro Augur

Every toon on a gold member account.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I can understand why some are upset it all depends on where you are at now, this won't affect those who are max AA, been there got the teeshirt or those who haven't or have barely started to look at AAs.

Those who have hit the 4Kish mark are the ones who will be suffering and no doubt are the ones who are wondering why did I bother purchasing those AAs last month they are giving them away for nothing in 2 weeks, why can't I have them refunded so I can purchase the AAs I still need. For them the mountain hasn't changed, they may have gained the nearly useless AAs in the general tab, but they would already have the bulk of the useful ones from Underfoot.

Possible solution
    Tie the AA grant to the level achievements from level 55 - 100 and just grant 400 AA for completing them to be spent as they please (10 achievements x400 = 4000 AA). But don't just leave it there put in an option of having an item instead of the additional AAs. Everyone gets something, be it AA to help with the ever increasing mountain or a toy for those who don't need more AA or want to stick to doing it the hard way. The devs can even adjust the AA's to the amount needed to max out for that level per class...I'm sure Elidroth knows or has a tool which will tell him how many AAs are available at any given level for any given class.

Each expansion add in a quest for the expansion which is 5 years old and have it grant the next lot of AAs. The quest can be as simple as talking to someone.
    dreadlord likes this.
  20. Piestro Augur

1. Defaulted off
    2. When you switch you get all you are the correct level for at that moment (up to a max of level 85 and uf or previous)
    3. We're tweaking our content release model. So it's a hard question to answer, and we always wait for the official announcement anyways. Elidroth is asking about new AA, these are for a potential release before the next expansion. Hope that helps.