Changes with the February Update: Developer Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Prathun, Feb 5, 2014.

1. tanith Augur

People play boxes for as many reasons as there are boxes.
    Personally I box because sometimes I like to just play EQ by myself. I've interacted with people all day at work and I'm being antisocial. Or I'm doing other stuff so I kill for 10 minutes; afk 10 mins ruinse repeat. No group needs that. People also box because they don't want to be held up by being unable to find x needed class for what they want to do. And people box in raids for the same reason.

I have 3 boxes. Getting back on topic I was about to get some more. Now I'm not untl this is sorted out. I'm not saying 'do this and I'll leave EQ' because I don't make threats I'm not 100% sure of.

But I do know that every time an illconceived idea like this comes up, a little bit of love for a game that's been a massive part of my life for 12 years dies
  2. Bloodclaws Journeyman

If these abilities are getting upped to usable on level 99 mobs, then I agree and disagree with this post. The idea of the post is good, make it fair. But instead of making assassinate and headshot usable on all mob types, make decapitate usable on humanoid only. If decap stays usable on any mob type, people will run 4 berserker, 1 tank, 1 cleric groups in HA's and farm Marks of Valor in easy mode, among plenty of other examples of ways they will abuse that. If you make the others usable on all types, the same thing happens on a greater scale. The best fix would be to make Decap humanoid only.

Also, changing the Decap AA so that it has 22 ranks like HS/Assassinate is a good idea if they are going to be equal abilities end game. (Not that they are in any way equal with assassinate having to proc off of backstab.)

This is ignorance at its best, really yes lets line everyone up who can only kill one thing so they can all go fight over the same stupid mobs what a brillant idea just stunning sor while we are at it lets say the everyone else can only atta just humaniods so everyone can be in the exact same zones fighting over the same mobs an complaining that everyone is ksing everyone i love it really i do. not
    Ronthorn Oakenarm likes this.
  3. Dumpler New Member

Please if you auto-grant AA make it a certain amount each lvl above 51 so the players can choose which aa they want to have. Eighty (80) starting at 51 would give a player 4k at level 100. This would allow a player to focus on leveling up his character if they so desired. It would also allow a character to stay at a lower level and still get all the advantages of the low AA count if they choose that route.

Choices are what make this game fun. A SK having to waste AA on innate wisdom isn't so much fun.
    Caell likes this.
  4. Cronos Journeyman

This update sounds even more ridiculous to me personally, the fact you can 1 hit, or nearly 1 hit enemies who conned you white last level is kind of a joke, unless it's like a 5% chance to proc, which then in that instance it's worthless. Either way, this giving away aa's is the death of Everquest to me, Sony has seen it's last cent from me, I won't bother trying EQ Next since it's obvious Sony will just cause it to crash in burn later on. All hail Archeage I guess...
    Yawind likes this.
  5. Aghinem Augur

The problem from a coding perspective; there is no plausible way to "ban" boxing unless its simply written in to the EULA --- unless they do account limits based on IP address. But if you do that, how do you manage proxy servers or other known dynamic IPs? You really can't.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Bloodclaws Journeyman

Hey i have a wounderful idea lets make everyone every single class wether melee or caster tank or dps all hit for the same amount reguardless of the spell or ability everyone hits for so 15k a hit an lets fly with that no more waa waa waa sound good right or should it be 50k a hit let me know k
  7. Phynster New Member

I gotta point out... these nerfs are not just getting ride of the power levels / swarming business, its also ruining a lot of peoples chances to solo. Seriously, on most servers the chance to get a group if ur not in a raiding guild or part of a clique in a casual guild are hard as it is right now. and Clerics are hard to find. Now get rid of peoples ability to solo and you'll have a bunch of people sitting around doing nothing. The reason im not mentioning mercs as a grouping ability is because their aas are hard as hell to get and they suck even with max aas and armor.
  8. Explicit Augur

I have 2 accounts and at least 5 characters all well past 5k AA (a few maxed). I am 100% indifferent to this change and the swarming change, literally do not care at all either way.

I guess I should apologize for not threatening to cancel all 47 of my accounts and my dog's and grandma's account as well.
  9. EQjunkie New Member

This is an Excellent idea! Would love to have this option
  10. Quilix Elder

Can you expand on that for us all please - which servers are they ? Don't think I have ever heard about that feature before.
  11. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

"SOE employee or pathetic sheep? It is funny that many of the people on here that support the changes say they love ALL the changes that SOE is doing. It does not matter what the changes are, everything SOE does is great. Anybody who disagrees with said changes is just a whiner that can leave the game. Well have fun with the "droves" of returning players. I can pretty much guarantee the server population will be less in 4 months than the current population. Particularly gold accounts. The last 2 expansions will be nothing but a few boxed toons and some people that have absolutely no life so they will cling to whatever vestige of EQ that is left until SOE graveyards it. "

What are you going to do? Put out the word not to play it? You gonna use you connections on the streets?
  12. Bloodclaws Journeyman

incase you havent been following the dmg done by decap ,hs an assinate are not scaling with the lvls increase so for the most part the only things that will be dieing are the players when they hit that 200k hit an then hit the floor for the long dirt nap.nuff said
  13. Kogon Apprentice

Just got back home after a long night of work, hoping that things have changed. Without reading every single page of this post, it doesn't appear that it has.

I'm not sure if this has really been considered in this sense, but I have a neat idea for Piestro and the Devs. It appears that you have 2 classes of thought on the subject. You have the veteran players, who played in an era of the game that was HARD. I mean 20 minute boat ride, naked corpse run, 100lb copper after a hunt, corpse poof hard. A lot of games have come out, with improved graphics engines and shiny new ways to entice them. But they're not what Everquest is. There was no other major MMO with the amount of risk of EQ, and therefore, no other with the reward for accomplishment. Then you have the player of today. The one who doesn't mind a crutch to get to the top. The kind who feels a sense of entitlement and who will not pay to play a game where they don't get what they feel that they deserve. While these changes might attract new players and make you more money, it will *and already has* alienated the players who have supported this game for 15 years.

The solution is amazingly simple. It's a mechanism that is already in place and has been almost since the launch of the game. When the game came out, you were naturally nonPvP unless you turned in your tome of discord. Some players felt like that took away from their game; that it protected players that couldn't hack it in a PvP setting. Hence "PvP servers". Players who opted for one style of play were able to play the way they wanted. The main audience that the game was after was able to play in another. I have never once heard a player on either side of PvP speak against the system. Why not make a server type specifically for players who want to play the way the game was created. You kinda started it with the Progression server, but it didn't go far enough. Maybe call it the "Hero server" or "Veteran server" or something like that. Make that special server true hardcore naked corpse run, no merc, no freebies, no playing nice. Odds are that more than half of the dedicated old-time players would transfer, or make a new toon on it if you didn't allow transfers. I know that I would.
    Gungnirr, onion456 and EQjunkie like this.
  14. gulbinator New Member

So I am wondering, mass killing, be it beam, headshot, swarming, has been around for YEARS, Since PoP in one form or another. Why wait unti now, this second, to all of a sudden say that you want to make major changes to classes in order to completely get rid of it? I feel like everyone involved is not being completely truthful to the player base with regards to the real reasons these changes are taking place. There are a multitude of other things that cause server lag. You cannot tell me for one second that one person in a zone or instance killing 100 mobs causes, as your hastily put together and rather amateur graph in the other thread displayed, 500% more server lag then say a raid event such as badgers from UF where 54 people are dealing with 3 dozen mobs, or an open zone raid with 200+ people like back in plane of time, or a new zone with 100 people killing every mob in the zone.

Just be honest with your intentions and quit trying to shove your hidden agenda down our throats with this guise of "trying to make the game better" we are not stupid.
    Haizze and Ruinedmyownlands like this.
  15. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

*Please do not quote forum violations*

You sound like you are lying.
  16. Roxxanna Augur

Wow
    *Please do not quote forum violations*
    .......wow, you sound like an wonderful, stand up kind of guy, I bet your loads of fun at family reunions. I'm sure this frame of mind will never backfire on you, so you keep right on being awesome.
  17. EQjunkie New Member

This does sound good but you would have to have enough players, this type of play would require grouping again.
  18. Ssixa Augur

Sorry if someone already responded but I didn't see it...
    There is no benefit to spending 25 AAs on the Glyph of Indeterminate Reward - its just a means of dumping AAs for people that gain AAs faster than they can Glyph them off, or to "level-lock" themselves (read: Progression style guilds come to mind...which are few and far between but do exist). So yes you will have to spend AA to buy it, click it, and buy it again over and over - but the only point of doing so is padding your AA count / keeping yourself at a specific level because its what you want to do.
  19. Cimbaeth Elder

What if there were some sort of reward for doing the AAs the hard way and choosing to not accept the AutoAA function? Like an achievement that granted a title/ ability/ AA/ or special illusion? You would of course only be able to get it after maxxing out all AAs beyond the point that any could be granted from previous expansions.
  20. Aegenor Journeyman

If you're going to try and use sarcasm, at least do a good job of it.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Mayfaire like this.