SPA list & stackability

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sirene_Fippy, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Is there a list somewhere of SPAs and whether they stack? I found some fragmented info but no complete list.

raidloot.com spell parser source code has a list of the SPAs for the most part
    this wiz post has some SPA info specifically related to wizards

Anything else I haven't found yet?
  2. Gragas Augur

Must be a caster thing?
  3. Yther Augur

Not sure exactly what you want, but if determining sticking and stacking, then the following should help: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Spell_Data and the linked post at http://everquest.allakhazam.com/for...138667&page=1&howmany=50#m1267642684137377554

EDIT: For a little more detail and brief summary. Basically, you can use the Lucy Stacking link ( http://lucy.allakhazam.com/ top right section on a listed spell page) to determine sticking. This also determines stacking for cumulative spells, those that add up with more buffs. Spells are divided into Worn effects and Buffs, and generally even for non-cumulative spells the best of each of these works together. Examples are Haste, Spell and Melee Focus. The rare few are that don't work this way, are the ones that have only 1 state, on or off, and no varying amount. Like See Invis, although there is a See Invis (2) now. It's still either on or off, as you can See Invis (2) and See Invis or just See Invis or not either, and having See Invis (2) automatically grants See Invis.

Ok, side-tracked for a second. The links should explain it in more detail, if needed. And that way you don't need to know the numbers, just the type of effect.

Yther Ore.
  4. OllieT New Member

Mind telling me what a SPA is? ;) I looked at the link in first post but it was non-obvious.
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

SPA is SPell Affect, which refers to a specific set of 12 values for each spell which controls what they do. There is no codified list of them, but I am working on one for EQResource. If you have any questions about soomething in particular, I might be able to answer it.
  6. Marshall Maathers Augur

Affect? Really?
    Qest T. Silverclaw likes this.
  7. Yther Augur

Nobody said coders had good grammar. And it's probably Attribute, if they did / do have good grammar. EDIT: It's what I called in the Spell_Data wiki page.

Yther Ore.
  8. Mykaylla Augur

We try to help them with their spelling and grammar, but it is an Anicent fear. "Oh yeah?" they say, "You and who's army?"
    Perhaps it is time to bop them on the head with a stout Crecent Staff.
    Naugrin and Romance like this.
  9. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Nope its Affect
  10. Yther Augur

They typo'd Effect? 'cause Affect refers to emotion. Also, couldn't find a reference to it's use any where, but didn't look very hard either.

Yther Ore.
  11. Mykaylla Augur

Spells are an Affectation, apparently. ;)
    Although, if they were called SPEs, then a SPell Effect Writeup would be SPEW.
    Yther likes this.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Screw that, House elves are as bad as halflings
  13. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

By worn effects, I'm assuming you mean item foci? Does the assumption that 1 item, 1 spell, and 1 song of the same SPA are cumulative apply to all SPAs (as long as the SPA is not in the same slot)?

Why I'm confused -

SPA 2 is ATK. By definition it is stackable. When you look up War March of Protan, and check stacking, all spells with slot 3: ATK will be listed. However, it definitely stacks with some others on this list. (War March of Protan + Mammoth's Force for example). Is this simply because it's a song?

Let's assume this is because War March is a song. In that case, how come spell + song haste do not stack? Even when haste is in various slots (1: War March, 5: Hastening of ____, 10: Symphony of Battle) you only get the max spell value (v2 haste only). I'm guessing this is because the SPA for haste is not stackable, by definition?

SPA 286 is Spell Damage Bonus (found on Gosik's Aria, and mage & wiz BP clickies).
    In this case, the icons stack but the effect is not cumulative.

SPA 162 is Absorb Melee Damage.
    In one case [Dirge of Dreams (song) + Sonet of Safety (bard BP click, normal buff)] the buffs stack but are not cumulative.
    In another case songs and buffs will not stack - Glyph of the Master overwrites Shield of Notes (song).

My best guess is many SPAs are coded differently, and not to be compared. Is in game testing the only way to really tell if something stacks?

I was also wondering, does raw spell data have any indication of whether an SPA is bard moddable? There is a songcap field, but its the same for moddable and unmoddable songs.
  14. Riou EQResource

This is because Lucy stacking is simply "What else is in this slot that is the same effect/SPA?" There are many special soft and hard cases of stacking that lucy doesn't do properly, like "These buffs effects will be on at the same time, but the effects wont stack", stacking issues in this case lucy would still show both in the list even tho the buffs can be on at once.

It is a bit of work to fix as you have to do code through many SPA's to check stacking if it is soft stack (buffs can stack but effects don't) or hard stack (they overwrite the buff and you can only have 1)
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It isn't 1 item 1 spell 1 song

It is 1 Worn, 1 AA (Passive), 1 spell

Songs = Spells
    Items = Tribute = Worn
    Yther likes this.
  16. Tearsin Rain Augur

no, it's far simpler than that, there are two conditions at work here you need to consider:
    1. some buffs 'stack' in the sense they can both be on you at the same time, but that doesn't mean their effects are both active - for example shaman haste and enchanter haste.
    2. the rule of thumb when looking at two spells with the same effect is:
    A. if it's a flat amount on the same slot, the higher amount takes precedence.
    2. if it's a % amount, the higher % takes precedence regardless of which slot they're on.

bard songs tend to be an exception to #1 because that's kind of the entire point of bards - though bard songs are universally constrained by #2.
  17. Yther Augur

I use the term cumulative in the description wiki to separate effects that add together when they stack, and non-cumulative when they don't (i.e. only the best of the stacking effects is in effect). As beimeith said, it's Worn (Which is Worn or Focus, but not click or proc effects on items) and also includes tribute, along with buffs, which are spells (buffs, click and proc effects), and songs, and activated AA, or in other words anything with a buff icon (spell or song window), and passive AAs. I don't mention the passive AAs, because they're shown differently and not as spells like the other methods.

Once you what types of effects are which (cumulative / non-cumulative) and the type, and the slot numbers for spell types, you can determine which category it is in, and whether it sticks and stacks. Haste and Foci are the primary non-cumulative along with anything that is not variable, like See Invis, Enduring Breath, Levitation, etc. where it's either on of off are also non-cumulative, and don't even add up between Worn, Spell, Passive AA. That is having all 3 types of those, still only gets you the effect of having any single one. EB from AA, is the same as worn, or spell buff, and all 3 together are the same as any single one.

EDIT: Some effects do similar stuff with different SPAs, and is what makes them more confusing. Haste is a good example of this, because there is Normal buff haste (Increase Attack Speed SPA #10), Type 2 Haste (basically under same limits is normal but adds to it, is Increase Haste V2 SPA #98), and Overhaste / Type 3 (Increase Haste V3 SPA #119).

Yther Ore.
  18. Prathun Developer

Fixed and fixed.

He was a tough adventurer who's exploits would have become legendary.
    Who's shadow could that be, or rather... what shadow could possibly be that large?
    But who's nightmare?
    Just who's side are you on here?!
    Fixed, fixed, fixed, fixed.
    Mykaylla likes this.
  19. Ratbo Peep Augur

Heh. Priceless.
  20. Prathun Developer

Really. It's a facepalm level typo, but it's been that way for 15 years now and the term is interwoven into so many other places, including our every day vernacular, that it's not worth changing now.

I don't see any harm in spoiling a few of the more obscure ones. You've probably noticed that many SPAs are never used. Here's a little insight as to why:
    SPA 39: Detect Poison
    SPA 60: Transfer Item
    SPA 70: Corpse Bomb
    SPA 72: Preserve Corpse
    SPA 146: Resist Electricity
    Lenowill, Brogett, Yinla and 4 others like this.