More LAG reduction suggestions

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Draego, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Draego Augur

Just another idea from a fellow Game and Sim Dev for reducing lag.

This post addresses a suggestion for reducing lag in the following zones: The Guild Lobby (especially), Plane of Knowledge and the Bazaar (though less noticeable - if all traders are hidden).

Due the the increasing number of Characters either by returning players or by F2P players, these zones even on a top end machine can run very laggy. The problem relates to all the ancillary stuff that is allowed, which cannot be hidden by player side controllable options. I am referring specifically to Pets, Familiars, Mounts and Mercenaries.

I would suggest SOE enforce mandatory automated suspension of these player related additions after a uninterrupted idle period of 30 minutes (or 1 hour maximum or even as short as 15 minutes). By inserting a mandatory auto suspend feature, players who continually go AFK for extended periods of time leaving their Pets, Mercs, Mounts or Familiars out - would then free up memory to data packets being sent to other players, thus making these zones more player friendly.
  2. Piestro Augur

While I'm not aware of the specifics (I'm a doctor jim, not a programmer), I believe JChan is working on reducing some of the impact of large crowds of people in a specific area by addressing how movement is handled when a machine has a large number of draw calls. I'm pretty sure this will go live with the expansion. :)
    Bauer likes this.
  3. guado Augur

Fixing the lag issues would be truly appreciated. Whenever I'm in a full raid, my client will crash. Was raiding last night in Hear of Fear, the fight with all the crystals... crashed twice only when adds were being kited / when the adds spawned. Tried troubleshooting *everything* and i *think* turning off my video card's triple buffering feature has *helped* but on a different computer with a older video card: same problem.

Love hearing that some lag issues will hopefully be patched up on CotF launch :)
  4. Kelefane Augur

Oh boy, hopefully this actually makes things better and not worse......it seems like every time you all try fixing stuff like this, it gets worse .
  5. Draego Augur

If Jchan isn't willing to make use of an auto-suspend function, then another suggestion would be to Auto-Shrink ALL Mercs, Pets, and Familiars to the smallest that they can become, and perma lock them into this small size.

As to how to apply this to mounts, meh I don't think it would/could work as a viable solution, but at least this is another suggestion for fixing the lag issue.
  6. Ivorylace New Member

People leave there pets and mercs out so they can get buffs. So what you are asking makes little sense . How ever they could implement an option in Options to show hide these items. Also to help a bit you can turn down player clip plane also is in options then advanced. Hope that helps :)
  7. Draego Augur

Actually what I suggest is for those that wind up going AFK for extended amounts of time, and wilfully are generating every possible amount of LAG that they can.

I have nothing against people wanting their pets and mercs buffed, but seriously there is definitely no need to sit there for 12 hours, never moving, never playing, just being a lobby space waste. There is definitely NO reason to go AFk leaving for familiars, mounts or anything else up, that so flamboyantly and blatantly creates grief for others.

I have said it before... I have no issues with lag, due to connection speed or hardware, but that does not mean that others don't. SOE could definitely afford to spend a bit of Dev time fixing this problem, since it would make the game better for all.