1h vs. 2h for DPS

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Qest T. Silverclaw, Sep 12, 2013.

1. shiftie Augur

It would stand to reason that this would hold true for spell procs as well. There is usually a standard PPM, and if they want something to proc more (ie a defensive proc) they mod the spell accordingly. And they nerfed the shawl proc rate iirc because it fired too much.
  2. fransisco Augur

I did some quick parses overnight (like 2-3 hours shield vs 2h) on the same dummy with my lvl 100 enchanter. Shield saw a block rate of 8-9%, while 2h had a block rate of 21%!
    While the shield gave an average hit that was 10% lower, there is no way it could make up for all the extra blocked attacks.
    Frankly, I'm floored with how worthless shields are for casters looking to gear defensively.
  3. Mykaylla Augur

Yep. Shield block is extremely low. I am curious if it is that additional shield block ranks were created for nontanks some time ago with a lower return, and that since staff block is newer, it was just copied straight from monks, or what.
  4. Casidia Augur

Ok, well the question for me now is...do you get an 21% block rate against really dangerous mobs (like raid bosses), or can/will those bypass this more often?
  5. fransisco Augur

i tested against a dummy whose max hit was like 12k, so he wasnt gonna 1 round me. Then I let it continue for awhile.
    But the only way a raid mob would lower the block rate was if he had strike through
  6. Beimeith Lord of the Game

For those that are interested, the proc on the T3 raid 2hb from Chelsith (Level 11) is approximately 101 dps. The proc on the raid Wizard Class weapon (Level 9) is approximately 80dps. The level 7 proc augs are approximately 58 dps.

Note that these are approximate because the values are dependent on which spell is being cast, and the class that is doing it. These values are based on a Wizard casting Ethereal

So yeah, they aren't worth much.
  7. Thurstan New Member

Beimeith,

Frankly, you missed the point so badly it defies understanding--at least for Wizards.
    Second Spire works on damage procers. Fury of Ro works on fire damage procers. Prolonged Destruction/auspice works on damage procers. When the crit rate is 100% those procers, assuming you use all 4, will crit for an average of 16.5k, 92% of the time. Clearly you can see that IN A BURN, the dps is much greater than the numbers your are espousing. If our average ethereal crit is about 223k, this accounts for roughly 7% increased damage, on those nukes.
    Kathylyn is 100% right.
    I don't care how you think it is. I have collected enough data to strongly suggest how it really is functioning in game. So, if you're going to effectively argue a different position, you will have to bring some substantial data.

Here is one study that is in good agreement with Kathylyn.
    The data is compressed into total numbers. Using ethereals:
    Proc/Casted Ehtereal Hit = Total Proc Rate (TPR)
    TPR-M=total proc rate less mana proc(s)

4 procs, primary, primary aug, secondary aug, range aug
    TPR = 10417/11341 = 91.85%
    3 procs, primary, primary aug, secondary aug
    TPR = 11686/13858 = 84.33%
    5 procs, primary, primary aug, secondary aug, range aug, shawl
    TPR = 11217/11660 = 96.20%
    TPR-M = 9156/11660 = 78.5%
    4 procs, primary, primary aug, secondary aug, prayer shawl
    TPR = 9993/10848 = 92.12%
    TPR-M = 7918/10848 = 72.99%
    6 procs, primary, range, primary aug, secondary aug, range aug, shawl
    TPR = 14818/15034 = 98.56%
    TPR-shawl = 12620/15034 = 83.94%
    Total less shawl less ab = 10116/15034 = 67.3%

Notice the pattern? It is exactly how Kathy described it.

Read comment 16 and 19 again, then when you think you get it, read it again. It is clear reading your following comments you missed this point too: Mana proc competes with damage proc, by the nature of adding more procs but bottlenecking them to only 1 proc per cast. This competition means that when you add mana procs you lessen the damage proc rate. In essence mana proc will block damage proc and vise versa. Currently, given the above information on burns, mana proc is obsolete compared to damage procs.

Wear the shawl and other obsolete mana procers if you wish, but mine are staying bagged,

~ Thurstan
  8. Beimeith Lord of the Game

9. fransisco Augur

One though I had over the weekend about 1h vs 2h defense.
    Sure staff block parses much better than a shield, but what is the strike through rate of normal mobs (arena test dummies dont strike through). Cause that 22% rate (or whatever the new rate is with rank 9) wouldn't actually block 22% of incoming attacks due to strike through.
    Anyone have ideas?
  10. Mykaylla Augur

That's very interesting, because in testing with... I think it was a Heart of Fear trash mob, the block rates were 21.2%/6.6% for staff/shield. Using a beta test dummy gave 35.4%/11.2% with the same setup, same toon. Which was craaaaazy, but that just shows that test dummies are wussy.
  11. fransisco Augur

Parsers don't register strike through normally. They show you blocked, but don't discount it when there is a strike through.
    So unless you configure your psrser to take strike through into account. All your defensive numbers are inflated