"We Don't Have The Tech" Is Not An Acceptable Answer Anymore

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kid Multiverse, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Kid Multiverse Loyal Player

We've heard this excuse thrown out for everything from why Materials can't be applied to individual parts of styles to why collecting exobit clusters doesn't count toward the gathering feats.

You know what? A ton of cash is streaming into the game via Time Capsules. BUILD the tech if you don't have it. And invest in fixing the broker while you're at it.
    • Like x 22
  2. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

But...but....but.... they need all the money to build the 6-Million-Dollar-Mepps!!!! Because they have the technologoy to make him faster, better, stronger.... well at least, something else.
    • Like x 2
  3. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Might be a polite way of saying "we are being held back by a decade old console".
    • Like x 13
  4. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Ooh controversial xD
    • Like x 1
  5. Kid Multiverse Loyal Player

I like the cut of your jib.
    • Like x 3
  6. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Well, it at least ensures the topic will be short-lived :p
  7. SkullGang Devoted Player

They are running on really old software. Giving them more money isn't going to fix that.
    • Like x 1
  8. BumblingB I got better.

I was saddened by the exobit clusters. They really should have that increment it and I'm sure the tech for that wouldn't be as difficult as doing the materials thing. But look at how long it took them to add another color swatch which resulted in still only 3 different colors per piece since that's how the game was built. This game's UI and overall design was not made modular at all. Bloating the code is the only thing this game has to add new features or QoL additions. That's just not feasible with the PS3's hardware limitations.

I do agree, TC's should be bringing in money because of the feats involved, they should at least be able to add exobit clusters to gather count.
    • Like x 2
  9. SkullGang Devoted Player

To be honest they should just bite the bullet and work on both consoles separately. I don't see the issue with making PS4/PC only adjustments. If they can make QoL improvements then should do them. Holding back due to the PS3 shouldn't be an issue anymore.
    • Like x 3
  10. BumblingB I got better.

I think they aren't ready to let go of the full revenue of it. I do think new additions should be ps3 restricted. Like new zones and what not. They still have access to the general game, but this at least allows the devs to open up the world a bit. They also have done visual changes that are restricted too, like WM styles and the environment graphics are platform based.
    • Like x 2
  11. Derio 15000 Post Club

It is valid excuse. Ps3 limitations is what they would like to say but we don't have the tech is way nicer.

I honestly don't see how you would see that as not being a valid excuse
    • Like x 4
  12. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Working on different clients costs additional manpower. Also, there is a problem with the account structure that disallows them form making certain things available on only one console: the PS3 and the PS4 accounts are the same accounts. They need to ensure that players logging in at the PS3 randomly because their PS4 just overheated (again) will break the account structure doing so.

It was a bad choice back then in November 2013. Some decisions are not easy to be fixed later on. Because it is basically totally possible to have different internal accounts on PS3 and PS4 (Konami can do it for example). It's just to late to do that now.

So unless the PS3 is dropped, they needed to add a placeholder and a hint reading "will not be displayed in the PS3 version due to hardware limitations" whenever adding styles, customizations etc. so players can see "yeah, I still own it" and see it again when their PS4 is "there" again. I'm not saying this will not be benefitial for the game - in fact, if done right the seperate client approach could even help the PS3 in performance again if the devs decide to do so - but it looks like they currently wait for Sony to clean the PS3 problem for Daybreak and just sit and wait, counting the money. Oh, and building the 6 Million Dollar Mepps.
    • Like x 1
  13. BumblingB I got better.

I think you are thinking different than what I'm saying.

The accounts are the same, but you are restricted based on your hardware. So you go over to this teleportal and click on it, just like if you didn't have the DLC, it would say you are unable to enter. The same with the on duty, you would be restricted from playing it, either it doesn't show up in the list or it's grayed out.

Also, we get it, you like your PS3. :p
    • Like x 2
  14. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

I'm actually very positivley surprised with the new PS4 slim, doesn't get as hot as I expected :p Anyway, even if you try to not put any effort benefitial for the PS3 players as well, you'd still need different clients, you'd lose the ability to do one version of the new patches and then port it (which seems to be done at Daybreak). So you'd need extra man power, regardless if the PS3 version is just graying out new stuff of starting to display the old stuff in less resource-wasting ways again.

Besides, your idea is not so benefitial for PS4 or PC players. You are focussing on maps and area access, but you yourself pointed out how much stress emotes, extra colors, extra power animations etc. put on the pre-loader. New maps are not the problem, customization and QoL addons are. That's why I pointed to "placeholders" (think displaying "street" or "biker" style for every new style not added to the PS3 client). Every little one of those additions will turn the PS3 client more and more into a project of its own - and considering how everyone is waiting for Sony to pull the plug, it is simply no longer worth the effort, especially since Daybreak already hasthe bad guy in its pocket to put all the blame on when it's finally the day the PS3s stand still ;)
    • Like x 1
  15. Harlequin Devoted Player

They won't even unlock our ability to tweak the UE3 .ini files on our PCs, something that only effects the user with no ill effects to the server or anyone else if we mess something up. Sure, we can enhance stuff a little using nVidia Inspector but the real goodies get overwritten when we open the launcher.
  16. light FX Steadfast Player

Its time to move on. RIP ps3.
    • Like x 6
  17. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

Such insight! I'm sure you know much better than DBG what sort of tech will pay off to invest in.
  18. Derio 15000 Post Club

Don't really think they can afford to do that. Ffxiv was able to limit certain style patterns and even UI limitations before shutting down the ps3 this June.

However dcuo doesn't have the funds to support that option. In 2015 ps3 was roughly 20% of revenue. With both failed launch of ps4 and xb1. They lost alot of potential customers and still heavily rely on the ps3 revenue to makeup for xb1.

Tech will continue to be limited and financially their hands are tied. Hopefully marvel Heroes omega doesnt hurt them this summer
  19. The Batzombie Well-Known Player

As far as clusters go, I see it this way. The feats are for gathering the. Not acquiring them. Getting exobits from a reward box or a TC is acquiring them. If it counted, then so would buying them off the broker and receiving them in trade/mail. As far as materials. I'm in 100% agreement with you.
  20. BumblingB I got better.

The preloader doesn't quite work that way. They already have client specific differences, namely visuals, but the same can be set in PS3's regard. Needing extra workers is dependent upon if they can just simply cut something out or not. Plus, all that TC revenue~.
    I'm curious to know what numbers of what platform. 20% of the revenue came from PS3, but you say that it failed on the PS4. So what percentage is PS4?