CR progression in this game.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Some rando, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I wonder if the dev was able to 'grant' a pile of XP for artis and allies...or if the kid is earning those naturally?
    • Like x 1
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If players don't know about those episodes that's really on them.

As you progress the available zones via teleporter expands, with the House of Legends teleporter menu listing them out not only in tiers but almost in perfect order of release (I think the Death of Superman/Doomed Metropolis placement in the list is off in terms of when it came out). The Urgent Warfronts teleporter mod for bases doesn't put them in order of release or tier, but it still gives you all the places to go. And if THAT isn't enough, opening up the Feats menu and clicking the Episodes tab will list all the episodes with the newest being at the top. All the info is there, waiting to be used.

And if someone hits the Lightning Strikes version of Central City and just leaves, that's just foolish. Most if not all of the solo missions there grant 2 Marks per mission, and that's a decent amount of Marks being left on the table daily if someone ignores them.
    • Like x 1
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

1. Older content not being as populated can have a variety of reasons, from seasonal events being live to episode spotlights to players just wanting to play other content. And with over a decade of content to choose from, you aren't going to have everyone concentrated in one area on the regular.

2. As far as bounties? The vast majority of the time it's just one part of the content in those zones. One. There's enough other content, Marks and feats available in the rest of the game that NOT having those bounty feats isn't going to kill a player. The only way not having those feats can bother someone is if they let it bother them.

3. And here's where I probably REALLY tick off a bunch of people. LOL To put it bluntly? Duh. It's a general challenge with MMOs, because while you might feel that you're THE hero in certain content runs, so are all the other players running that same exact quest that you're running. Depending on personal feelings of immersion, it's possible to put that aside, but in the back of your mind you have to know that you aren't the only hero.

It's even more of a challenge with a licensed MMO because no matter what we do, we aren't going to be THE heroes/villains of that particular fictional universe. We can be A hero in that universe, but that's about it. No matter how hard I tried, there was no way my Jedi was going to be the Chosen One to bring balance to the Force in Star Wars Galaxies because Luke Skywalker was there. There's no way any of my Gotham-based characters will be THE defenders of that city because that's Batman's place.

Unless they wipe every reference to anything related to the DC universe, we will never be THE heroes or villains of the game because those roles have already been filled. Besides, there's nothing wrong with running crowd control. It got Booster out of cleanup, didn't it? :D

4. Eve YouTuber

Content not being populated because there is nothing to do there for Veterans who already have everything, and also the fact we are clamped - which makes it more annoying to run content there considering we are loot locked aswell. For the most part you will see a new player going there, try, fail at a bounty and leave because they realize they can't get through that. I hang in GUS alot, and the map is always empty. And It's a huge map with a lot of things to do.

Raven's bounty also drops a specific style, if it wasn't changed you still need to fight her to get this style. I will mostly see players going the recent tiers like 5-6 for the 8x marks, during or off a spotlight week. I don't think It's fair for players to have feats or styles gated because they can't get certain content done. I am pretty sure you are also on the US Server, so when I speak on this I speak for the EU Server as this is my main server.

Yes, and this is what group content is for. But you are your own hero in your own Journey. Just like Superman is Superman, Justice League are not making Superman what he is, do they? And yeah, Gotham's will always be Batman's City, but when it comes to the major events our characters faced, most of the times we rescued the Justice League, they weren't even the ones to save the day. They were trapped and needed to be rescued. Obviously the bigger lore will always be DC's characters, but It's not to say our characters don't have a spot because the entire thing of this game is: "The Next Hero is You".

I really dislike Booster Gold, but that was the best example I could bring that was from the DC Universe aswell, lol. Obviously my character will never be Wonder Woman, but I still want to feel like the hero of my own story. Thing is, the lore is pretty much all over the place with every dlc having a different story so it makes it redundant. :)
    • Like x 2
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I don't know what, if anything, more can be done to bring veteran players into older areas without running the risk of breaking the content or ruining the experience of those newer players, though. As for the Raven drops, I haven't run them in a while but I believe those were still drops for running the duos in the Wasteland once you run the umbrella missions (5 missions in each section). If those are still rewards there, one hero and one villain character is all you'd need to get those feats, with Replay Badges covering the costs of either unlocking those style pieces or just the feats associated with them.

As for styles being locked in content? I'm used to that at this point. I KNOW I'll likely never get most of the special sparkly/glowy versions of styles available in Elite content. Having a bunch of those styles locked in content has been the way for quite a long time now, and it's something I think more people should be used to as well.

Back in my SWG days, whenever the whole "I don't feel like the hero" conversations would pop up in the forums, I'd basically have the same answer as I did with your post: we AREN'T those heroes and will never be them. At the time, I said the closest our characters could come to being the type of hero they wished was along the lines of the Rebel pilot Wedge (the only Rebel pilot other than Luke to survive the original trilogy). Now? I'd say my SWG characters would probably be more along the same level as the crew in Rogue One.

I've never said that our characters in the game have no place in the DC universe. But we will never be on the same level as or surpass the iconics. Those iconics are THE heroes and villains of that universe. We can play the content and use that to tell the stories of our own heroes and villains, but that's about it.
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I don't know what, if anything, more can be done to bring veteran players into older areas without running the risk of breaking the content or ruining the experience of those newer players, though. As for the Raven drops, I haven't run them in a while but I believe those were still drops for running the duos in the Wasteland once you run the umbrella missions (5 missions in each section). If those are still rewards there, one hero and one villain character is all you'd need to get those feats, with Replay Badges covering the costs of either unlocking those style pieces or just the feats associated with them.

As for styles being locked in content? I'm used to that at this point. I KNOW I'll likely never get most of the special sparkly/glowy versions of styles available in Elite content. Having a bunch of those styles locked in content has been the way for quite a long time now, and it's something I think more people should be used to as well.

Back in my SWG days, whenever the whole "I don't feel like the hero" conversations would pop up in the forums, I'd basically have the same answer as I did with your post: we AREN'T those heroes and will never be them. At the time, I said the closest our characters could come to being the type of hero they wished was along the lines of the Rebel pilot Wedge (the only Rebel pilot other than Luke to survive the original trilogy). Now? I'd say my SWG characters would probably be more along the same level as the crew in Rogue One.

I've never said that our characters in the game have no place in the DC universe. But we will never be on the same level as or surpass the iconics. Those iconics are THE heroes and villains of that universe. We can play the content and use that to tell the stories of our own heroes and villains, but that's about it.
  7. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

One could hope not lol. Heck, when my son is old enough he's gonna play them tough-as-nails Super Nintendo games to start with like I did!
    • Like x 1
  8. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Sooo stop defending it for no reason. Let the devs hear the feedback and possibly think of ways to figure it out. Sheesh.
    • Like x 1
  9. Grim931 Committed Player

An exact quote from one of the briefings is "They have all of our powers, but none of our weaknesses". It's already established in the game's lore that we're pretty much on par with these guys, if not more, considering there's nothing like the proverbial Kryptonite holding us back. And yes, the fact that we've had to step in and save these guys multiple times speaks volumes on where we should be compared to where we're capped at.

At this point, the only one holding us all back are players like you, who are pretty much setting the bar too low on yourself. There is absolutely no reason we can't be as strong as the iconics. We are playing superpowered beings... it's obvious that players are going to want to feel like they're playing that kind of character with that kind of potential. No excuse is good enough when we already have the game itself telling us this.

You're pretty much setting a speed limit in a racing game and wondering why everyone doesn't think the same as you... no one wants to go 5mph when everyone else is going 200 around them, so the obvious choice is to cap us all at 5mph so everyone has a "fun" time. The reality is no one feels that powerful anymore in a game where the entire premise is to be an all-powerful being.

I'm also getting pretty sick of hearing the entire "content breaking" counter arguments when you can do lvl 5 story missions at CR 425 and the game doesn't explode... it's nonsense. This wasn't a huge issue before, and even if it was, there may have been an entire 5 seconds wasted on resetting content. Could you overpower and bypass mechanics? Absolutely, that was the BEST PART of getting stronger... not needing to deal with the same thing over and over again the same... exact... way. Were some people having content "ruined"? Probably, but those same players are barely getting through content today and it's a hell of a lot worse. Issues weren't solved, and we all feel a hell of a lot weaker for it.
    • Like x 2
  10. Grim931 Committed Player

Edit: Double post.
    • Like x 1
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, when I introduced my kids to video games I set them up in the basement with their own gaming station and started by breaking out the Atari 2600 (Still got it WITH working sticks)...they played Adventure and Haunted House for a few days and really enjoyed those as well as a handful of others...so we moved to OG Nintendo....super Nintendo...PS1(hung on these a LOOONG time as I had over 300 games), then finally PS3, which was the current system at the time.

At this point now, they mainly play PC games on rigs we built a few years back, but it was a fun couple of months as they progressed through 30 years of gaming to HOPEFULLY appreciate where things are at now.

EDIT: We busted out the 2600 a few months back for a birthday hangout. Some of their friends had never seen one. I think Missile Command was the big winner that night.
    • Like x 1
  12. Some rando Active Player

Older content not being populated is also because:
    - New players can zoom through the tiers and reach higher CR way too fast, thus resulting in high queue times and low world population in lower tiers
    - No linear progression through the worlds means that players will be unevenly spread out throughout the lower tier worlds, also resulting in low population.

Older content not being populated has nothing to do with stat clamp or bringing "veteran players" back into old content. Lower tier content is not being populated because newer players do not get the chance to experience (or properly experience) the lower tiers like they are supposed to be experienced.

I think every player should start at the Sub-Avatar location in Gotham when reaching 30 then progress through the game linearly from there.

I am not even going to give my opinion on stat clamp, because I do not want to open the floodgates.