what role

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by LONEKNIGHT, Mar 15, 2024.

1. LONEKNIGHT New Player

thinking of starting a new toon what role is most needed
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Lead Designer and Senior Community Manager.

Edit: OH you meant as a character! Tank. There's not enough tanks.
    • Like x 8
  3. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

Tank. And make sure you're properly specced and can play the role.
    • Like x 1
  4. KidKretz Committed Player

the characters not even made yet and it already received its first bit of critical feedback :p

*whispers to OP* run while you still can
    • Like x 3
  5. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

LOL, you laugh, but lately I keep seeing CR430 tanks that take one or two hits in the hallway and fold up like a cheap paper bag -- almost as often as I see CR430 DPSes who get halfway through their rotation before running out of power.

EDIT: I just want to add that how you spec your skill points is at least as important as how many you have. My Atomic tank has maybe about 100 SP, and yet I was using her to solo OW bosses in the most recent Anniversary event. Okay, so she was likely to go down against the Paradox Crawler if I wasn't careful, but that thing cheats.
    • Like x 3
  6. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

I just want to add this advice: Get some SP under your belt before trying to play a support role. A Tank who can't tank, a Troll who can't troll, or a Healer who can't heal won't do anybody any good. Nobody's gonna give you a hard time for DPSing until you have some SP to spend on stats, but a lot of players absolutely will give you a hard time trying to play a support role when you don't have SP distributed into support stats.

I would also recommend looking up some tutorials on how to play whatever role you choose. Not necessarily that you should use whatever loadout is considered to be "meta." Read ability descriptions. Take advantage of PI (power interactions). Don't be afraid to experiment and ask for advice.
    • Like x 2
  7. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Heh, I’ve been in raids where in the hallway both the Tank, Healer AND Troll were dead to adds and I’m like really, really? But seriously really? It’s like we’re not on Brainiac’s ship anymore here…
    • Like x 1
  8. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Why-Not-Both?
    • Like x 2
  9. Great Architect Loyal Player

I was Healing for the squishiest Tank I've ever seen yesterday. They were losing maybe 2/3rds of their Health every few seconds. I couldn't stop mashing buttons enough to inspect, but they were either Rage Crashing constantly (a possibility with the heavy CC going on in the hallways, but what Rage Tank doesn't know to work around that?), or they weren't keeping Fire Soul up, or something, but they were near-dying to hallway adds in Normal T5 content. And they weren't even keeping the adds off anyone else - the rest of the Players were falling left right and centre. It took 2 Healers to keep them up in the first Boss, and then they walked after their Feat popped.

If you don't know how to Tank in your Powerset, all the Artifacts and Gear in the world won't help if you don't use the tools available to you. Hell, just blocking would have probably saved half the headaches I was getting.

The moral of this story is: - By all means Tank, you can even be an undergeared or inexperienced Tank - your Healer can work with you there - but don't be a clueless Tank. There's no saving you, or the run then :(.