To all you 'lete players...get more specific or shut up.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Reinheld, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

100% my belief that this is why he sent the tell, then cried about it in Group chat. Cause when he came in 2nd he really wanted everyone to know he wasn't buffed.

And yeah. Shoot me over about 800-1000 Nth caches and what...1000 SM worth of cats? Heck, I'd even spring for the seals myself as I've got like 40 destiny tokens saved up...still won't swap though, so I'd take a vote as to which the group preferred...prec, might or both with no claw.
    • Like x 2
  2. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

Something tells me you'll be a lot of fun at the bars on St. Patty's day. How's your streetfighting skills?
  3. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

If the person who wants Cog is willing to pay for it, sure. I'll do that, too -- but there's just one tiny little caveat. I play from the ability tray. So if I run Cog, which requires cross-weapon combos, nobody's getting buffed.

Guess it's a good thing I'm a debuff troll. ;)
    • Like x 4
  4. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I always mix some weapons in anyway...no heartache there...but yeah, if you don't it's very worthless.
    • Like x 1
  5. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

A troll... that doesn't use his weapon... at all? What are you?

Don't say it... don't... git... GIT GUD!!!
  6. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Even worse, cross-weapon MASTERY combos...
    • Like x 1
  7. Illumin411 Loyal Player

If I had to pick my most disliked aspect of playing DCUO it's that half (probably more) the endgame players see DPS comping as the one and only reason to play the game. Even if/when they play support they see it as "taking one for the team" and "sitting this one out" so their friends/leaguemates can do their comping thing. That by itself would only be mildly annoying but also they often find it unfathomable that other players could be playing the game for different reasons. So when situations happen like what Reinheld described or if the tank doesn't start right away and "wastes" their pets/supply, or something similar, they lose their s*** like you just Leroy Jenkins'd the entire run.

I buff troll as well (been trolling more than DPSing lately) and have often received tells from DPS's expressing disapproval of the arts I'm running. I usually just respond with "cool story bro"... if I respond at all.

On a related note, while I'm not a big fan of art swapping (both in the game in general and doing it myself), I've noticed an added benefit to starting each boss fight with Dead Kink Scepter in the 3rd/swap slot (for the initial henchmen and orbital). Since it's same slot I run cog or tetra in, if DPS's inspect me before the boss fight they won't see which one I'm running while at the same time understanding why the DKS is in. I feel like the whiny tells from sweaty comp DPS's have significantly decreased since I started doing that.
    • Like x 4
  8. Dev72 Dedicated Player

Same. Before I leveled COG, I used to get tells...Now, as you said, I primarily run Tetra in the 3rd slot, COG in the 2nd, and swap DKS for pet, henchen, orbital drop at the start of the boss fight, with some of the same swap when those are back off cool down. Never had a complaint since....I can't wait to see the number of tells I will get when I switch COG for Brand of Hecate as my standard art loadout.

All trolls are debuff trolls, regardless if running BOP or the standard damage, heal, defense debuff in their loadout. By default, if a troll runs Rao, COG, and Tetra..then they are power, debuff, and buff trolls...performing all 3...plus gaining the benefit of doing extra damage behind the COG when mixing in cross weapon combos... Hell, by default, if not running any of the 3 you are still doing the same..just buffing prec behind recharge on a lesser scale. Most run the brawling/martial arts combo because it builds power back faster than the rest or not using any at all..even if primarily playing from the tray if running the correct white mods in the weapon.
    • Like x 3
  9. Ryazan Dedicated Player

That's the one reason I only buff with Tetra, and never leveled a Cog and will likely never do, unless the activation method gets reworked. I loathe 99% of the cross-weapon combos, and think most of them look clunky. The most I do with my weapon is frequently do tap range between powers.
    • Like x 3
  10. Dev72 Dedicated Player

Agreed..It shouldn't be on the troll to discover through a litany of interrogatories of what everyone is running and how they are set up.

If I know the DPS are comping, I won't even partake...I will just bow out. The last comp I supported was back in AM days on my nature heal, where I was accused of running hive mind(which was the standard back then while in bug form, but gave an advantage to certain playstyles)...Before the run, I swapped it out, but was still accused of unfairly running hive mind..which they killed the comp before we even got to the first boss....After that...I told everyone to rightly F off, and not even bother asking if I would run in a comp again.
    • Like x 2
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yep. Same here. If the shout was 'need buff/swap troll for CTE comp run' I'd never had put my hand up. Also if in the 10+ min delay before we went in, if they'd have asked my artis and said they wanted prec/cog, I'd have said 'sorry...don't have that' and offered to leave OR go straight power to make things 'even' for them. But even then, I'd only offer that if asked...not do some Q&A session or inspect everyone to find it out. I go in assuming most groups will want some buffs vs full power. There have been a few times I've seen the healer struggling and I'll pull claw out for parasite to get dumps back, but most people seem to be able to maintain without dumps...so even that I don't do most times.
    • Like x 2
  12. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

Okay, I suppose I should have said my focus is debuffing, hence why I run Rao and BOP. I do run Tetra in the last slot, not so I can also buff, but because I already had it from the level 23 artifact mission and I run it in DPS. If we ever get a 2x XP deal again, I may invest in Parasite's Power Harness -- but I'll more likely just raise Rao and BOP to 200.

OTOH, I may not worry about it at all, because I only run Elite when I run solo, so the only person I'll screw up with my lack of skill is me.

Sometimes, during really long boss battles, I'll start running low on power, so I'll throw out a couple of ranged attacks to get some power back, but that's usually the extent of it. The only weapon combo you're likely to see me do then is tap-tap-hold, and then back into my rotation. I've been working on doing combos on my new shield toon, but apparently I have a tendency to hold the melee button a bit too long when tapping, when I try to play strictly weapon attacks, especially if I've been playing for more than a couple of minutes. So I doubt I'll ever be able to play Precision well enough to make Cog usable.
    • Like x 2
  13. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Might I suggest (if you are focusing on debuffs/power) the strat card instead of parasite. I personally found it to have better results in terms of PoT and went quite well with Rao and Commlink.

As for the prec combos, totally feel you there. I wasn't able to manage those at the same time as the debuffs and everything else. Even when I switched to cog, I was too preoccupied and kept forgetting to do the combo to "refresh" the buff lol.
    • Like x 1
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I'm probably weird. I have WM combos on every toon, role or DPS. There are times weapons do better than powers (busting stuff or taking down seasonal items that tick for 1 either way) and I'm not running 4 armories to accommodate for one or the other. My toons all have enough SP to afford WM and to also max a primary stat, DPS or role, so I use weapons mixed in across the board.

96.8% of the time I'm playing asleep or eyes closed at least...so muscle memory does a lot of it for me...so WM combos are mixed in regardless. I wake up for a feat run or if I were to run E+ (HA!)...so in that case I'd be more aware of it and either do it sparingly or with a lot of intent as needed....including activating a buff...if that were my intent.
    • Like x 2
  15. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

I'm just wondering, does Strat proc passive power heals, or only from manually triggered abilities? If it's the first, that'll work because BOP sends out power heals when I hit enemies with 3 debuffs on them. If it's the second, well, I'll still be able to get dot from crit attacks, but that sounds like it really only benefits me.
  16. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

When I'm running as DPS on my Mental toon, yeah I have to melee or do a ranged weapon attack to break stuff. When I'm trolling, though, Bird's Blitz breaks almost everything, in a pretty wide radius.

96.8% of the time I'm playing asleep or eyes closed at least...so muscle memory does a lot of it for me...so WM combos are mixed in regardless. I wake up for a feat run or if I were to run E+ (HA!)...so in that case I'd be more aware of it and either do it sparingly or with a lot of intent as needed....including activating a buff...if that were my intent.[/quote]

LOL, that's me playing from the tray. My mom wants to tell me about something she just saw on TV or YouTube, and I just shift into autopilot. The best part is, I don't second-guess whether I've already done a particular move or not.
  17. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Both, I believe. If you crit with any type of power heal, it will apply an additional PoT to the group. I could be wrong though, getting tough for me to remember things.
    • Like x 1
  18. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

If that is the case, that would be awesome. I already get a kick out of being in a hallway when the tank drags all the adds together, I hit them with Birds Blitz, and immediately start seeing all those blue numbers flying around. :)
  19. Illumin411 Loyal Player

You don't run claw?
  20. Dev72 Dedicated Player

I have claw, but no...I don't run it unless asked to run it. Never liked that artifact anyway. Never liked an art that robs the inherent ability of a role in place of a buff when there are other artifacts that give an equal or stronger buff for DPS based on a large health pool equivalant to what tanks have...

Beyond that, the extra resto and dom it provides is just overkill anyway when all it takes is minimal stats to effectively perform that role that is provided with the gear and before any other stat increase provided through their own arts, augs, SP...etc. You can't heal beyond another's health pool or power pool...and as long as the tank has minimal dominance..they can effectively hold agro when done properly. Not to mention the extra dom it provides to the troll causes friction between tank and troll when there is enough of that with just the dominance from troll gear causing problems.

Wish that art never existed to be honest.