Finally a nerf centre for the powers that be?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Sollace, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Proxystar #Perception

To some extent, yes, precision is a bit more mobile, that doesn't excuse, however, the amount of might players I see that are just plain ******* stupid, not cancelling their channels until the last possible moment and then getting stuck in animations or in the middle of their inventory swapping Ebon and DKS they don't even see what just killed their candy ***** (that's a cheese exploit swap btw, primarily being done by might DPS)

You're also ignoring the very exceptionally performing might powers like Munitions, Fire, Nature, some of which are blatantly abusing things themselves.

Might is not exempt from its problems any more than there's some outlying issues with precision, precision itself isn't fundamentally broken however, it's just some powers abusing broken aspects they uniquely possess in exactly that same way.

The other issue with weapons of course is that all but 2 of them suck at range and that's another thing the developers need to fix with a proper weapon pass.
    • Like x 2
  2. Proxystar #Perception

There's two types of motivations here to be honest.

Those that are silly and just got whomped on the scorecard, and;

Those that are getting frustrated that legitimate imbalances remain that is very much so, perverting the balance of content.

The latter is a very legitimate gripe, you should not be using the former as a means in which to attempt a dismissal of the latter.
    • Like x 1
  3. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Yes.
    • Like x 1
  4. Wallachia Devoted Player

Conversely, I am expanding on the quoted post, which is pointing the first. I am not denying the latter, tho, realistically, while possible, it is much, much less likely to happen.
  5. Proxystar #Perception

[IMG]
  6. Proxystar #Perception

No, I think it's actually the real reason behind the former, people are just crap at articulating themselves.

They see themselves getting smashed on the scorecard, understand there's a problem, but don't know how to properly express and highlight the real issue.

I don't think it would even remotely be a problem if elite and elite+ content was being balanced around a realistic average DPS potential, but unfortunately it isn't.

It is being balanced around the premise that your group has 5 Gadgets precision DPS or Nature Gorilla's abusing Ebon and DKS.

And it's pathetic and the developers are enabling it and letting it happen.
    • Like x 1
  7. Wallachia Devoted Player

Ironically, my entire Dissertation is around this.

But then again, this brings us to the question: where is the problem here? Is it the powerset itself that is really imbalanced or is it the player that does not know his own power and is being paired up with players who do?

Mind you, I am not defending that the game is perfectly balanced, but I am heavily skeptical on this. I personally believe that, before we can rule out the power as being a problem, we should rule out all variables. For example, all DPS powersets have a bread and butter build that works that way and makes it as if anything out of that status quo is five to six times less efficient. I also know, however, that people are Sartrian and deeply go "Hell is other people" before questioning themselves if they are doing something wrong. A good example is in DCUO itself: how many players avoid omnibus because, before stat clamp, they would just run amok in instances one-shotting anything and now they are unable to play because their overpowered stats didn't require them to have any skills?
  8. Proxystar #Perception

I agree there are a lot of people that don't know how to operate their powers, but many of these are well established problems, some having been persistent since revamp, if not sooner.

Take just Suppressor Turret as an example, basically allows a gadgets player to clip everything and anything every 3s with no cool down, no other pet operates like that, it is providing gadgets players with a massive advantage over other precision powers, that cannot be replicated in any other circumstance, it's broken.
    • Like x 2
  9. Odin EU Level 30

My thoughts on the Suppressor turret is that it’s an advantage that should be reduced in efficacy through a cooldown increase. Rather than just having the ability to clip with the turret removed.
    • Like x 1
  10. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Fixing the dervish abuse is the best way to address the precision issue.

As far as balance and spending time on sparring targets, yes, precision users can get the universal "chill found" loadout from YouTube, brawling to MA, clip dervish, use whatever weapon buff and 12 sec DOT your power has, throw in the rsk, a SC, and you're set.

Players could also get competent might based loadouts and still beat precision while skipping the hours of sparring targets. But those who have spent hours on the sparring targets can't teach the rotation and situational circumstances to people: because people don't listen lol. So we keep those rotations to ourselves.
    • Like x 1
  11. Proxystar #Perception

Dervish is not a real issue, what exactly is your issue with dervish? that players are clipping with it? :rolleyes:

So you legitimately think dervish is the difference maker between might and precision? You think that power won't just be replaced with something else and then further highlight the disparities between some powers having quick powers with no dovetails versus others that don't?

Dervish is used because it's highly clippable, the precision players aren't using it because it does damage, they're doing it for clipping purposes and because it works very well, but in many powers (but not all) it can be replaced with other abilities that provide a just as good, if not in many circumstances, better impact.

This is why, despite the common assertion, all precision players are super speed, they don't actually have to be.

DPS aren't disproportionately super speed because of dervish, they go super speed because they can "boost speed" across the map when in slow movement mode, which provides a significant advantage when it comes to mechanic avoidance and pick ups.

It has nothing to do with dervish. It's a scapegoat used by people who don't really know what's going on.
    • Like x 2
  12. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

So, out of my entire last comment, the only "takeaway" that you think you managed to grab onto, was "your thought" that "you think" I meant dervish is the barrier between might and precision.

At this point, I'm well aware of how you will nitpick for your own ideology, and therefore I will refrain from replying to you further in this thread. I'm not a fan of trolls, and I sure as heck won't feed the monsters either. So in order to avoid an obvious language barrier that will undoubtedly result in the formation of sand within the confines of your...., I'll just wish you good luck little buddy, have some crayons.
  13. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

It's ok. I would duck too in your position. Pew pew.
    • Like x 1
  14. Proxystar #Perception

"How dare you Proxystar, you were supposed to just agree with what I said, and because you aren't just providing me with an echo chamber, I am going to call you a monster and a troll".

[IMG]
  15. Proxystar #Perception

There is one scientific fact we always know is true in this world Cyclonic; snowflakes melt in the heat ;)

If your idea doesn't stand up to scrutiny, it was either incorrect or a bad idea.
  16. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

I knew he was dead when he lead with that. I mean... c'mon.

Gadgets has been breaking the game for so long... and he wants to pick on little old dervish. Sure... fix it, replace it, or do something cool with it, but please leave him out of serious game-breaking discussions.

Focus on the ridiculous gadgets, Circuit Breaker, and Berzerk if you want to tackle precision.
    • Like x 1
  17. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Another one, sad that you can't see beyond the first sentence, so I'll spell it out for you, the slow snowflakes, that definitely melt in the heat of good might rotations.

Fixing dervish abuse, is a great way to address the issue. Instead of getting your panties in a bundle, or your knickers in a twist, try logical thinking. Now, I know for precious wittle snowflakes, logical thinking it's extremely difficult, but I'll try to paint a picture. It's the Internet, so I can use pop-up pictures for you 2, so I'll just hope the last few brain cells are capable of using a little imagination.

Have you ever seen a cartoon where a character rolls a snowball down a hill or mountain, and it gets bigger? I hope so, if not, your childhood sucked. But that's the concept. Dervish is used/abused for it's clipping ability. For the "special" people here that can't see forward, clipping is the ability to use a power after something else to cut off the time it takes for the animation of the cast, allowing you to speed up your casting or the tone between weapon combos.

So, using intelligence (and honestly, it doesn't take much), removing the ability of dervish to work as a clipping power for precision, slows down the DMG/s (that means damage per second for you 2) potential. Since dervish effectively slows that down for what, 95% of precision users, that means it's likely the most effective method to START with precision.

Now, that comment about dervish, is mainly there as an example that "IF" precision needed a nerf, that's where to start. However, if you've read any of my comments regarding balance, I have said multiple times, "This is as close to balance as this game has EVER been."
    Pay attention snowflakes: "as close" does not mean that everything is balanced, or even 90% balanced. I said, "AS CLOSE AS IT'S EVER BEEN." Meaning I don't believe that ANY power (or the lazy precision users) need nerfed.

Maybe a few VERY MINOR adjustments to some of the MIGHT powers, to bring everything up closer. But you snowflakes don't understand the concept of strengths and weaknesses. One power might be super strong with adds, and one of the weaker ones with single target (or require a different setup to be competent): that's how the game works! Not all powers were created to be %100 equal to every other power!!!

Geez you two are so full of yourselves that you fail to be attentive to how powers work. They're not supposed to be the same. Tired of explaining this to toddlers with no sense of understanding.
    • Like x 1
  18. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Also Proxy, don't try to fool us good might players. We know why precision users use super speed. It's not for mechanics and pickups, precision users are too busy chasing the scoreboard to do those things. Precision users use super speed because your lort-n-saviour Obsidian posted a YouTube video telling you to go super speed for dervish. Like good little obedient peons, you obey your master. I bet if he posted a video saying all precision users need to switch to water, most of you would, because massah-Obsidian hath spoken!

(No offense to chill, but I'm pretty sure he knows his subjects obey his commands. And all he did was post the best way to use precision.)

Now, run along little pawn, and chase us good might users on the scoreboard. It's funny though, we do pickups and mechanics, and still WHOOP you in damage.
    • Like x 2
  19. Roocck Committed Player

One of the most hotly debated topics in the DC Universe Online (DCUO) community is the balance, or lack thereof, of power sets and precision-based abilities. It has long been acknowledged that certain power sets and precision-based abilities are significantly stronger or weaker than others, yet many players seem to either ignore this fact or defend these unbalanced mechanics.

Those who defend the unbalanced nature of certain power sets and precision-based abilities often argue that the issue lies not with the powers themselves, but with the players who don't know how to effectively utilize or understand their powers. They claim that with the right skills and strategy, any power set or precision-based ability can be effective in combat.

However, the reality is that some power sets and precision-based abilities simply offer a clear advantage over others. This creates an uneven playing field where those who opt for the stronger powers have a distinct advantage in both PvE and PvP content.

Despite the widespread acknowledgement of these balance issues, little has been done to address them. The developers of DCUO have made only minor tweaks and adjustments to certain power sets and abilities, but the core balance issues remain largely unresolved.

In the end, the unbalanced nature of certain power sets and precision-based abilities in DCUO continues to be a point of contention among the player base. Until the developers take decisive action to address these issues, players will continue to face an uphill battle when it comes to achieving true balance in the game.
    • Like x 3
  20. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Agree, however I'm not sure true balance will ever be obtainable, as long as the speed hackers are around, and as long as we lack a dev-description of what powers are meant to be strong in what area. Someone might pick up, for example, water and think they're going to dominate in AOE, but that's not where water is the strongest: not because of imbalance, but because of it's design.