Rage Crash Testing Methods

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Prindacerk, Feb 18, 2024.

1. Prindacerk Committed Player

I'm playing around with my Rage toon and trying to get used to the Rage Crash ignore/reduce. I know what steps I must take to initiate the Enrage and what powers will ignore or reduce it.

What I am trying to figure out is how I can test it so I know if I am timing it right or not. And how I can practice on getting the timing practice. I thought I can experiment by soloing a bounty boss and see if I can tank it and see the enrage trigger and avoid the damage and whether I am timing the ignore. But the combat log window gets bombarded with all damages so I can't seperate between the Severe Punishment vs normal damage by the boss.

Anyone who has mastered Rage tanking can guide me on how they learned the mechanism (don't tell me to run alerts with friends) and the best way to practice it?
  2. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

I can tell you how I mastered it, in steps.

1. Turn your tv volume up so you can hear the heartbeat sound.
    2. Activate severe punishment.
    3. Watch the cool down timer on the power, and listen to sound.
    4. You'll notice, that just before 9pm (if the power timer was seen hour hand on a clock), or when the cool down has about %25 left, that is the moment you must cancel by, or receive the absorbed damage.

5. Now try doing a few things, attack, move, lunge, block, use another power, etc. You should be, at this point, seeing what you can do in the seconds you have until crash time.
    6. Practice your preferred rotation until you can't get it wrong.

Here's what I do for rage tanking.
    1. Cast severe punishment, clipped with weapon buff.

2. I use Clarion artifact as well*
    Weapon combos, dual wield into flurry shot. You get extra healing from Clarion, a shield, and it helps the group.

3. Cast Ire: your breakout and heal (use TAC mod to reduce cool).
    4. Immediately cast your cancel power. (I prefer dreadful blast).

Your other 2 powers should be:
    Ragebringer, your pull.
    Remorseless recovery (helps heal and reduce crash) is an option, redirected rage is a better choice (shield).
    • Like x 4
  3. Cypharr Committed Player

Wow! glad I ain't rage. This is just to much mechs for tanking. How do you do all this and at the same time tank adds and bosses. Kudos to you, I tip my hat and salute you, respect. I only use 3 powers in the game on all my toon which are Earth, Electricity and Mental. They are my fav powers without trying other power. I've touched Ice, Quantum, Munition and Water but quickly realised they were not for me and quickly changed to my fav power as soon as a sale was on. I hate the shield combo on Earth Gemstone Shield but that's nothing compare to what you go through. Maybe it's time to keep my mouth shut on trying to get the devs to remove the combo on Earth Gemstone shield.
  4. Prindacerk Committed Player

Thanks a lot. It really helps. I have heard of the 9pm spot for cancel use. But sometimes I noticed I need to cast the power at 6-8pm for it to be effective at 9pm. And if I get interrupted or stunned, then I'm screwed. Still learning the mechanics.

Will apply your technique and see how well I perform. Appreciate it.
  5. Deathmike Devoted Player

If you want to see whether you time your canceling right, don't run a dampener. If you crash without a dampener there's a visual cue.

Deathmike out.
    • Like x 2
  6. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Hitting Ire at 7, will ensure you are never CC'd during your cancel. I use dreadful because it also juggles adds in the air, be sure to use the combo to get the most time out of it for cancelling.
    • Like x 1
  7. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Yes, it seems like a lot to do, but once you get used to it, it's like a dps rotation, you just know it. Once you know it, paired with good artifacts, you're basically unstoppable.
    • Like x 1
  8. xm3n3hun3 Well-Known Player

a while ago, we used to practice rage tanking in Chaos Gotham open world vs open world bosses
    Using the one with the 5 circles pull add in to circle (I can't recall boss name)
    then when big boss comes out, try out what you feel comfortable - you may need to adjust due to power used by boss (poison, ice, fire, etc)

before Clarion came out....
    spec w/full restoration
    augments - dominance
    artifacts - symbol of seven, manacles and demon fang
    remorsless recovery and severe punishment (clip together) eviscerating chain
    hardlight shield
    without mercy
    now I'm unsure what I'd do since I just dps w/rage - though clarion would likely open a spot on power tray
  9. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

In my time using rage, it's better to cancel to refuse all damage taken.

I've found that using the mitigators are a last resort, if you are having issues timing your cancel.

I personally use the cancel and always prepare myself by shielding or stunning adds, before cancelling to reduce variables that may prevent me from cancelling. For me it's 2nd nature at this point, and I put very little thought behind it, while doing it.

If you wish to test out the mechanic, I would suggest going out to Doomed Metropolis and activating Severe Punishment near the doomsday spore clouds and get the cancelling timing down. You could also test the mitigators mechanic vs cancelling to compare.

I find that if you run the Superman ally shield and Redirect Rage (rage power set shield), even if you miss your cancel, most of the DMG will already be mitigated. I wouldn't rely on them like mitigators, but they will act in the same way or better in a pinch if you happen to miss a cancel here or there.

I hope this gave you a bit more insight into rage tanking. Be sure to hit me up in game if you have further questions.
  10. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

As Deathmike said there is a big visual animation when you crash. You can experiment with your cancel from 7-9 o clock and see if 9 is too late. I usually go for 7-8 to be safe. I also do the e chain combo if the boss isn't blocking, to extend the cancel window.
    • Like x 1
  11. Trexlight Devoted Player

Like Pale said. Hit Ire at the 7 oclock mark, Echain right after
  12. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Rage tanking was fun until the revamp, then it killed it. There was two immunities you could use to pop before each crash and have basically perfect tanking. Anyway, the cooldown is not always accurate. The sound is the key component as that is what the crash goes off of. I say that because after playing for a few hours the sound vs cooldown graphic gets out of sync. It’s also kinda annoying because you need to turn up your sound effects but that turns up all the sounds, not just your heartbeat. Always a good idea to relog every couple hours to reset the timings and all that. Cheers.
    • Like x 1
  13. BumblingB I got better.

I did it by sound, but I know you can look at cooldowns if you play with sound off or are hearing impaired.

I would recommend fighting an open world boss to get the hang of it. Very rarely do bosses give enough damage in a short amount of time that you can die if you crash. (I would avoid metal manbat and any boss with tons of adds, like UV.)
  14. Dedikated6 Well-Known Player

sound is the easiest . when the heart beat speed up throw your chain then pop shield , or chrono , then shield depending on if boss or just ads . pull ,repeat . you have 2 shields so if you mess up your rotation pop one and block to tank that crash use the pull+chrono to juggle\stun, to get some health back restart ya heart beat swiftly . just go fight a bunch of ads and youll get use to it fast
  15. Prindacerk Committed Player

Seems like general consensus is sound. I play without sound as I play at midnight when everyone is asleep and can't wear headphones/mic for similar reasons. So I go by visual queues. Guess I have to gamble on the cooldown indicator. Would have been easier if the crash happens when cooldown resets so there's no guess on the 9pm timing. But I guess I'll have to watch it carefully.
    • Like x 1
  16. Quantum Rising Committed Player

Devils advocate but the current state of Rage could be considered biased against the hearing impaired. @DB why has this not been addressed?
    • Like x 1